• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing trailer tires

GeauxDeep

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I've been reading on here about swapping out the tires on my Shoreland'r trailer. It's for a 2015 AR210. I still have the stock Carlisle tires that came on it. They've been good so far but it sounds like changing them is a good idea. Sounds like a lot of people have been getting the Goodyear Endurance tires. I looked on tirerack.com and it's like $475 for a set of 4. They also have Powerking Towmax ($281 for 4), Hankook Kinergy ($261 for 4 after mail-in rebate) , and Hankook Optimo ($305 for 4). I was just wondering if anyone has tried any of these other brands that were cheaper? Sounds like everyone has been really happy with the Endurance tires and that they have made a HUGE difference but it would be nice to save a little $$. Any opinions or experience? Thanks!

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I stuck on car tires weight rating c.
All trailer tires suck.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't forget Sam's and Costco. I ordered from Sam's twice and it beat all the online places.

In fact, the last time I ordered, they were phasing out the Goodyear Marathon for the new Goodyear Endurance exactly one year ago. Both were nearly identical tires. But under $100 each shipped to my local store. In fact, I think I went with the Marathon (as I had in the past) for like $80/tire. But the Endurance was not much more.

I see the Goodyear Endurance at Sam's Club right now for around $118/tire and they have and additional $80/off when you buy 4. So if you have a dual axle, now is the time to get them from Sam's

Good luck!

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd read this article before putting car tires on your trailer: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

I only replaced my Carlisles because the trailer company was willing to cover the cost as the trailer was supposed to come with Radials. If I were in your position, I'd run the current tires down, THEN replace with Radials.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What ever you buy, make sure it is a ST225/75R15 Radial, a D indicates a bias ply.
The Freestars mentioned about are decent, as well as these Trailer Kings. I am a supplier for Ama and have shipped north of 10K units in each.

Trailer tires go bad because of 1) improper inflation 2) age (dry rot) 3) road debris/hazard (reason being: they are an inherently shallower tread than a passenger or light truck tire to cut down on heat and weight. There is less tread to absorb that nail, screw, rock etc.). Most trailer tires are made at the same factories in China or Indonesia. Not really alot you can do with the tread patterns.

And there isnt necessarily anything wrong with the OE Carlisle bias ply tires. Keep them properly inflated. Unless you are towing a couple hours each direction.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The tires on my 24 foot trailer are 205/75R14. The dealer wants $404 to exchange same size radials for the bias ply tires. Or $560 for aluminum wheels and radials.
@Andy NJ, why do you recommend 15” tires?
What says the collective?

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Trailer tires go bad because of 1) improper inflation 2) age (dry rot) 3) road debris/hazard (reason being: they are an inherently shallower tread than a passenger or light truck tire to cut down on heat and weight. There is less tread to absorb that nail, screw, rock etc.). Most trailer tires are made at the same factories in China or Indonesia. Not really alot you can do with the tread patterns.

And there isnt necessarily anything wrong with the OE Carlisle bias ply tires. Keep them properly inflated. Unless you are towing a couple hours each direction.
[/QUOTE]

THIS !!
Keep them properly inflated to cut down on excessive heat.

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The tires on my 24 foot trailer are 205/75R14. The dealer wants $404 to exchange same size radials for the bias ply tires. Or $560 for aluminum wheels and radials.
@Andy NJ, why do you recommend 15” tires?
What says the collective?
Don't go from a radial to a bias ply.

I would not plus1 my trailer tires unless you are trying to stylize your trailer and the wheels are only available in 15". The OE size has the correct load carrying capability and you're not gaining any performance advantage like when you up size your vehicle tires.

Also keep in mind there is a 15% import tariff lurking around. It is on hold by the administration as trade talks continue but Pres could enforce at any time with the stroke of a pen causing prices to increase, almost immediately. They are already up 10% since last November.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Andy N , I mis-spoke. My current tires are bias ply.
He wants $404 to upgrade to radials, and a nicer chrome wheel, with plastic coating on the finish.
Or, $560 for aluminum wheels and radials.

Hmm. It would seem the dealer doesn’t want to give any credit for the factory wheel combo.
Here is his offering for $548 on Amazon.
Aluminum wheel and radial tire

I sent this ad to my salesman, and he said they can’t match that price. And, they aren’t interested in buying the factory wheels from me.

Edit to add: Does anybody need some factory trailer wheels?😎

Last edited:

Andy NJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Andy N , I mis-spoke. My current tires are bias ply.
He wants $404 to upgrade to radials, and a nicer chrome wheel, with plastic coating on the finish.
Or, $560 for aluminum wheels and radials.
Staying 14"?
I'm a few steps removed from the wheel market, but doing the math, it doesn't seem to bad. $50 bucks a wheel and $50 bucks a tire for the nicer chrome wheel. 90 bucks a wheel on the alloys.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I've been reading on here about swapping out the tires on my Shoreland'r trailer. It's for a 2015 AR210. I still have the stock Carlisle tires that came on it. They've been good so far but it sounds like changing them is a good idea. Sounds like a lot of people have been getting the Goodyear Endurance tires. I looked on tirerack.com and it's like $475 for a set of 4. They also have Powerking Towmax ($281 for 4), Hankook Kinergy ($261 for 4 after mail-in rebate) , and Hankook Optimo ($305 for 4). I was just wondering if anyone has tried any of these other brands that were cheaper? Sounds like everyone has been really happy with the Endurance tires and that they have made a HUGE difference but it would be nice to save a little $$. Any opinions or experience? Thanks!
discount tire direct has them at 107 per tire and a up to $50 mail in rebate

Seems the price has gone up a bit, I paid 386 @BBottoms got them for 260

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did a set of four Endurance on the boat trailer and four on the travel trailer (same size). Very happy. I bought from discount tire direct and had the local discount tire install. They told me they will honor the DTD price.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Of the tire/wheel combo silly. We believe you got a great deal. We want to see how sharp they look!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Code still works as of this morning too.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had been looking at upgrading the tires and rims for my SX195 this summer. Nice find with the discount and actually made it too good of deal to pass up. 2 Aluminum rims and Good Year Endurances (205/75/R14) for $218 shipped to my house. They are on clearance and the coupon code works as of this post. Can finally have a bit more piece of mind on some longer trips I plan this year. Thanks!