• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Request for AR195 advice

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.......I have seen other boaters with swing tounge trailers take the pin on the tounge with them as a deterrent thus making the trailer Untrailerable. .......
I do this whenever I leave the trailer unattended outside of the garage. It's super easy to do, and if it makes a thief think it's harder to steal my boat then it's a plus. Completely unrealistic, I know, a couple bolts would get the job done, but it makes me feel better :D

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do this whenever I leave the trailer unattended outside of the garage. It's super easy to do, and if it makes a thief think it's harder to steal my boat then it's a plus. Completely unrealistic, I know, a couple bolts would get the job done, but it makes me feel better :D
We are planning a trip this summer and I've been considering taking the pin on the swing arm out and placing something like this Trimax Coupler in the pin hole for some added security, along with the hitch lock that @MBrown mentioned.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I almost forgot to mention the third dumb thing I did that could have led to disaster. Almost worst than the first two.
I backed up the trailer/boat into the water with car wheels in water on ramp. Put on emergency brake and waded in to release the winch.
Got back into the car and when I finally paid attention to the beeping/warning sounding that whole time, I realized that I left my car in reverse!
Thankfully the emergency brake held and it's only a funny story. It could have been bad...

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I almost forgot to mention the third dumb thing I did that could have led to disaster. Almost worst than the first two.
I backed up the trailer/boat into the water with car wheels in water on ramp. Put on emergency brake and waded in to release the winch.
Got back into the car and when I finally paid attention to the beeping/warning sounding that whole time, I realized that I left my car in reverse!
Thankfully the emergency brake held and it's only a funny story. It could have been bad...
@mdchachi This is what my wife and I call our "what did we learn today" moments....I'm sure everyone on here has those "OMG" moments that causes one to sit up from a dead sleep, the best thing is that you realized and acknowledged your miscues and you "probably" won't do them again! We debrief after every launch and recovery to keep each other on top of our games, I would highly recommend getting your first mate involved in every aspect of boating, it will make you both accountable, you serve as a backup to each other, a double check is twice as good as a check, and it makes getting "upgrades" tons easier when the first mate has the requisite experience and has the same responsibilities :winkingthumbsup". If you have children that are old enough get them involved, let them realize that boating is a great way to spend time together, but it takes teamwork and is a serious hobby! You guys will be just fine and will spend tons of time together and having a good time...enjoy! Oh and by the by time to change your boat make and model to reflect a "proud" Yamaha owner! ;)

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a coated cable bike lock that I use this way. Pull the pin, swing the tongue, and replace the pin. Run the bike lock cable through the hole and around the frame. This way the pin cannot be replaced.

Of course it's only keeping honest people honest, as a good bolt cutter could clip that cable lock. The pin lock above is in the hitch when on the truck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a coated cable bike lock that I use this way. Pull the pin, swing the tongue, and replace the pin. Run the bike lock cable through the hole and around the frame. This way the pin cannot be replaced.

Of course it's only keeping honest people honest, as a good bolt cutter could clip that cable lock. The pin lock above is in the hitch when on the truck.
I like that idea a lot. I have a spare cable lock sitting around as well.

I tell my wife this all the time. "Just trying to keep the honest people honest"

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I tell my wife this all the time. "Just trying to keep the honest people honest"
The only time I ever had a car stolen was from some kids (I assume) who hotwired it and took it for a joyride and ended up sending it down a boat ramp into a lake. I guess that kind of car was easy to hotwire. So it's definitely smart to use these kinds of deterrents. Let them move on to an easier victim.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I see now in the post-operation section of the manual that it recommends flushing the cooling system and blowing out the residual water by running the engine for 10-15 seconds on the trailer. I didn't do any of this. What do you guys do in practice?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see now in the post-operation section of the manual that it recommends flushing the cooling system and blowing out the residual water by running the engine for 10-15 seconds on the trailer. I didn't do any of this. What do you guys do in practice?
Exactly that as per our local laws. Run the engines, pull the plug and pull the cleanout plugs, let drain while on the ramp. It holds up traffic, but it's the law around here. Nobody gives you the stink eye when a DNR officer is watching you. If there is a steeper grade nearby, we will pull up that near the landing. But we definitely cannot pull out onto the highway without doing it.

Now being on a lift every day, I pull the cleanout plugs every Sunday before leaving the cabin and spray down the cleanout plugs with silicone spray.

Logan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mdchachi, how did your wheeling and dealing go at the dealership? Only asking because the dealership I’m working with won’t budge on $2,000 over MSRP transport and setup fees. They only have one boat in inventory, and none of the other dealerships within hundreds of miles of me have a single boat. This fact doesn’t give me very much leverage.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Mdchachi, how did your wheeling and dealing go at the dealership? Only asking because the dealership I’m working with won’t budge on $2,000 over MSRP transport and setup fees. They only have one boat in inventory, and none of the other dealerships within hundreds of miles of me have a single boat. This fact doesn’t give me very much leverage.
I paid MSRP + $250 dealer prep/freight. Safety package was included. I also asked for three fenders. They also charged $379 for title/registration fees. I have a feeling they would have waived the prep/freight fee completely if I had been more insistent.
Sounds like you're in a tough situation. You may have a better chance once they start shipping the 2019 models which I think is soon. It will be hard to sell 2018s at a premium at that time.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I've taken the boat out twice now. About 4.5 engine hours and a bit over a half tank of gas used. This last time I finally got to run carefree without worrying about break-in hours. Definitely glad I got the AR195 over the SX190. I didn't go WOT but the AR195 feels less powered compared to the 2001 Utopia 185 I sold. The Utopia also had a 240 HP engine but total weight was less and the jet pump diameter was 184mm vs. Yamaha's 155mm. I also feel like the turning performance of the AR195 is a little slushy in comparison, for lack of a better word. The Utopia would turn hard and quick. So much so you really would wonder if the thing could flip you out if you weren't careful. Reverse maneuverability also seemed better on the Utopia. It would direct water towards the front. Not just down like the Yamaha does.

That being said I have no regrets. Love all the amenities. A bimini top you can keep up at speed. A working speedometer. Depth & temperature gauges. All the storage. And of course the clean out plug. I haven't used it yet but I know I will appreciate it when the time comes. etc.

I let it go close to the beach. Didn't beach it outright but it drifted in the sand (engine off) and had to push it back off. Also touched the concrete launch when getting ready to put it back on the trailer. :-( Keel guard likely in my near future.

Also had an issue while trailering where the straps came off and I see them dangling behind the car so I had to stop on the side of the road and cinch them up. I know there's another recent thread about tightening up after pulling out of the water. I'll revisit that before going out again next time.

AR195-CassLakeBeach.gif

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you had a Utopia with the 240 EFI Merc, your observations are spot on. That combination turned well in forward and reverse compared to just about any Yamaha. Sorry, but it's true. That engine also had a lot of grunt for the 18-20' SeaDoo boats. Ours was a 54mph boat on GPS.

That being said, the Yamaha with thrust vectors or cobra jets and the lateral thrusters will get you that control back. My family agrees that the layout of the boat more than makes up for the lack of performance too.

It's a give and take for sure. The reliability of the yamaha engines over that red-headed stepchild Merc SportJet will be something you may never appreciate. As it wouldn't rear it's ugly head until you had a failure. But finding someone to work on these engines over that sportjet is night and day. That's some piece of mind that I love.

Good luck!

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If you had a Utopia with the 240 EFI Merc, your observations are spot on. That combination turned well in forward and reverse compared to just about any Yamaha. Sorry, but it's true. That engine also had a lot of grunt for the 18-20' SeaDoo boats. Ours was a 54mph boat on GPS.

That being said, the Yamaha with thrust vectors or cobra jets and the lateral thrusters will get you that control back. My family agrees that the layout of the boat more than makes up for the lack of performance too.

It's a give and take for sure. The reliability of the yamaha engines over that red-headed stepchild Merc SportJet will be something you may never appreciate. As it wouldn't rear it's ugly head until you had a failure. But finding someone to work on these engines over that sportjet is night and day. That's some piece of mind that I love.

Good luck!
Thanks for verifying my impressions. Like I said, I'm still happy. Lots of positive aspects to make up for the loss of speed and maneuverability. And the peace of mind aspect of new/Yamaha reliability and maintenance aspect is huge.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've taken the boat out twice now. About 4.5 engine hours and a bit over a half tank of gas used. This last time I finally got to run carefree without worrying about break-in hours. Definitely glad I got the AR195 over the SX190. I didn't go WOT but the AR195 feels less powered compared to the 2001 Utopia 185 I sold. The Utopia also had a 240 HP engine but total weight was less and the jet pump diameter was 184mm vs. Yamaha's 155mm. I also feel like the turning performance of the AR195 is a little slushy in comparison, for lack of a better word. The Utopia would turn hard and quick. So much so you really would wonder if the thing could flip you out if you weren't careful. Reverse maneuverability also seemed better on the Utopia. It would direct water towards the front. Not just down like the Yamaha does.

That being said I have no regrets. Love all the amenities. A bimini top you can keep up at speed. A working speedometer. Depth & temperature gauges. All the storage. And of course the clean out plug. I haven't used it yet but I know I will appreciate it when the time comes. etc.

I let it go close to the beach. Didn't beach it outright but it drifted in the sand (engine off) and had to push it back off. Also touched the concrete launch when getting ready to put it back on the trailer. :-( Keel guard likely in my near future.

Also had an issue while trailering where the straps came off and I see them dangling behind the car so I had to stop on the side of the road and cinch them up. I know there's another recent thread about tightening up after pulling out of the water. I'll revisit that before going out again next time.

View attachment 80252
As an FYI.. I find a quick “brake check”shortly after leaving the launch and then retightening of straps works great for me.. good luck..

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
May want to check out these BoatBuckle Heavy-Duty Ratchet Transom Tie-Downs. Makes dealing with the transom straps quick, easy and secure. No more dangling straps in the rearview mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Heavy-Duty-Ratchet-Transom-Tie-Downs/dp/B009IK2T0W

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
A couple of the "chrome" plastic rings around the drink holders came off for no apparent reason. Any particular adhesive I should use to put them back on?