• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse linkage help

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My reverse throttle got stuck and unfortunately I forced back to neutral. Now it will run, but can't achieve more than 10mph. Is it likely that the baffles are not clearing all the way off the thrust nozzles. If that's the case how do I repair this issue?

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can you look and see the position of the buckets when you are in neutral or drive? The buckets should not be in front of the nozzle when in forward, mid when in neutral and down when in reverse.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will check that out this evening.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
See if you can lift the reverse buckets without resistance. It is possible that you broke a reverse cable. If so you can change it in a few hours for around $50.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is useful input Thank you. I will be checking all of this this evening.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check the bucket for an obstruction locking it, From your description of what happened the bucket probably had a stick or some other object get between it and the nozzle, when you forced it you probably managed to get the object stuck jamming up the reverse bucket.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have checked the buckets and impellers for any obstructions and they are clear. Both buckets are moving the same range of motion.
Should the buckets be totally out of the way when the throttle is at idle? They are about half covered at forward idle speed and move 100% off of the nozzle at about 2/3rds throttle. Is this correct or not. If not how is this corrected?
Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have checked the buckets and impellers for any obstructions and they are clear. Both buckets are moving the same range of motion.
Should the buckets be totally out of the way when the throttle is at idle? They are about half covered at forward idle speed and move 100% off of the nozzle at about 2/3rds throttle. Is this correct or not. If not how is this corrected?
Thanks for everyone's input on this issue. :)
Your buckets appear to be working correctly.
Have you tested you boat on the water since the problem? It could be you had something jammed not allowing the bucket to move out of the way and it has since fallen out (especially if you trailer your boat).

my next thought after another water trial would be to think your impellers are not working correctly.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be on the water tomorrow to see how it performs. Thanks

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Everything ran well. So I guess I will go with your explanation that what ever jammed up the linkages rattled out going down the road afterwards.
Thanks for the help.