• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

reverse module failure = low battery

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I recently found out that the error message "reverse module failure" during the ignition self-check could mean that the battery level is too low.

If any of you run into this issue, recharge your battery before panicking.
Interesting.... a few weeks back I picked up the boat from maintenance at the dealer, when I went to the ramp I got the same error message "Reverse Module Failure" and the boat would not start/crank. After banging my head for about 45 minutes and checking the actual reverse module and everything else related to it, I notice the safety lanyard was off (I never take it off). I placed the safety lanyard back on, restarted the boat and error message and problem disappeared. The safety lanyard and neutral are the first things I normally check, but that error message sure threw me off for a loop, seems like it works also for low batteries now...

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I am having this same issue now too— went out yesterday and I couldn’t get the bucket to move at all, even with the override on. I trailered it up and brought home. I have charged both batteries, checked the voltage level, looked for loose connections, unhooked both batteries and reconnected, inspected the actuator and it looks normal... at a loss and was hoping for ideas before the dreaded trip to the dealer. BTW, my safety lanyard is connected was hoping it would be as easy as that. Thank you so much

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Does anyone know if there is a separate breaker for the e reverse module from the breaker panel like on the Chap.?

MSJetDriver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So I am having this same issue now too— went out yesterday and I couldn’t get the bucket to move at all, even with the override on. I trailered it up and brought home. I have charged both batteries, checked the voltage level, looked for loose connections, unhooked both batteries and reconnected, inspected the actuator and it looks normal... at a loss and was hoping for ideas before the dreaded trip to the dealer. BTW, my safety lanyard is connected was hoping it would be as easy as that. Thank you so much
Did you find out what your issue was?

Cliff2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
what i've been seeing, chap, scarab or any other brand using rotax motors and fly by wire controls, eReverse, iST, iNR, the hardware is all the same BRP parts.
which includes a resettable 30 amp breaker mounted near the battery. its wired directly to the battery, at least in the chaps.

if you cant find yours, follow the wires coming out of the eReverse module, which is the part that actually has the shift cable attached to it. you'll find that the module has 16 pins (wires) coming out of it, that then in turn split up. one of those splits is 2 wires, with a plug about 1' away from the module.
thats your power and ground. keep following it and you'll get to the breaker.

any of these boats with a touch screen display, they HATE low batteries.

Chrishley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Interesting.... a few weeks back I picked up the boat from maintenance at the dealer, when I went to the ramp I got the same error message "Reverse Module Failure" and the boat would not start/crank. After banging my head for about 45 minutes and checking the actual reverse module and everything else related to it, I notice the safety lanyard was off (I never take it off). I placed the safety lanyard back on, restarted the boat and error message and problem disappeared. The safety lanyard and neutral are the first things I normally check, but that error message sure threw me off for a loop, seems like it works also for low batteries now...
Where is the safety lanyard? I'm a new owner and am getting this error message.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The safety lanyard plugs in right next to the Throttles - it is a "black button" that sticks up and the clip slides in there.

Where is the safety lanyard? I'm a new owner and am getting this error message.

Chrishley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
The safety lanyard plugs in right next to the Throttles - it is a "black button" that sticks up and the clip slides in there.
OK, thanks. You also said you check neutral, are you referring to the throttle position? Just making sure it is in Neutral ?

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes - the throttles should be in the neutral position and the hatch over the clean out plugs needs to be shut too.

OK, thanks. You also said you check neutral, are you referring to the throttle position? Just making sure it is in Neutral ?

Chrishley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Yes - the throttles should be in the neutral position and the hatch over the clean out plugs needs to be shut too.
Where is the hatch over the clean out plug and the clean oout plug located? Im waiting for the owners manual to arrive in the mail hopefully this week

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where is the hatch over the clean out plug and the clean oout plug located? Im waiting for the owners manual to arrive in the mail hopefully this week
bah - just realized you have a Scarab and not a Yamaha boat - sorry mate! I have no clue how to give you advice on that boat...gain, sorry for not looking at your profile to see what boat you were asking about!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
There are no clean out plugs with these boats. It has an entirely different setup that does not suck in crap as much as others. I've had both it it is better.