• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Review and anatomy of a Fulton F2 Trailer Jack

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One of my two F2 trailer jacks started to malfunction at the end of last season. That is, it started to feel like its gears were slipping. As I prepped it for shipping back to Fulton under a warranty claim I decided to do a review of this product and took a few pics to supplement the review.

So far I have purchased four of these jacks (one used and three new). The used one failed in less than a season, I broke its replacement in the following season and the two remaining are used on my boat and pwc trailers. New they can be found for as little as $125 for the two wheel version and closer to $165 for the single wide wheel version.

http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Fulton+f2+trailer+Jack

Like the f2 line of winches they look great and feel heavy as well as strong. Unfortunately, the plastic parts are not very tough and Fulton does not sell some of them separately.

Here is a pic of the one I'm sending in. For scale it's next to a 24" long level.
Basic features over a standard trailer Jack are that it has a clip which holds the handle in place against the body of the Jack, is height / mount adjustable in that you can position the mount on the Jack at various points along the body of the Jack, it also has a cushioned handle and the wide track version can be fitted with a wedge that acts as a brake (this is a $10 to $15 add on/optional part). Look wise it's the perfect match for the f2 line of winches.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
On closer inspection I found that the plastic housing which holds the end of the main handle on mine broke and the sealed bearing in the mechanism rusted solid, both of which made this trailer Jack almost useless. Lowering it was easy raising it to attach the trailer to a tow vehicle, not so much.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here Is a pic of the other components of the Jack, this is the Jack I broke the wheel off of by forgetting to fold it up and out of the way before hitting the road. I keep this around for spare parts. Unfortunately the plastic housing and sealed bearing on this one are broken as well. By the way most disassembly and reassembly is easily done with a t-25 torx driver.

image.jpg
Here are pics of the two wheeled version as well as the f2 2speed winch for reference.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Finally, here is a pic of the stock like trailer Jack which is currently installed on my boat trailer, I think it cost me $35 at Walmart).
image.jpg
In conclusion, I feel that the f2 trailer jacks are not as tough as they should be for what they cost. For 1/4th to 1/5th the cost a standard Fulton trailer Jack can be purchased that will likely never have to replaced or maintained. That, stated f2 does have some nice features that a standard Jack does not and it does look nice. I won't be tossing my stock Jack but I probably will remove it once the replacement f2 is installed.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My F2 jack is hard to use after two seasons. I will look into a warranty claim. Thanks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I guess the question is: What is the best trailer jack out there? Biggest range, durability, and all.

--

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Ronnie for the great write up. I didn't know That the F2 had durability issues.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When my 2005 trailer jack got stiff and hard to operate, I just went to Northerntool and picked up one of these on sale for $35:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631764_200631764

Worked like a charm, has a longer travel than the original (goes both higher and lower) and is 1/3 or more the price a Fulton. I just don't see what "features" a Fulton has to be worth the money....this is a pretty darn simple device. The ONLY think I can give the Fulton as an advantage is it looks nicer (which I couldn't care less about).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention that the f2 jacks have a capacity of 1,600 lbs. also at least two of mine developed cracks in the side of the plastic handle that allows the body to rotate.
IMG_7748.JPG

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian , looking at the etrailer site, there are only 4 basic classes of jacks, the stock like ones, f2, electrics and the trailer valet. I didn't see anything like the f2 look and feature wise and the trailer valet is really more than just a trailer jack plus it's designed to be removed after every use, oh and it costs a lot more than an f2. I'm pretty much locked into the f2 for now but if I had to do it all over again I'd stick with the stock model or something more like it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update: I mailed the F2 back to Fulton (actually Cequent Performance Products) in Wisconsin yesterday. Whether it will be covered under warranty is yet to be determined (by them). It's also not clear who is going to cover the return shipping fees.

Costs (so far):
$9 for a box at the UPS store.
$63 to ship it via the u.s. Post office (learned something new, they won't/don't truck, deliver by ground transportation, over state lines anymore, so it's going by air).

When I was told the shipping costs I almost left without shipping it but felt obligated to a that point since I already bought the box, took time to pack the item and stood in line for 15 minutes at the post office.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats a Canadian shipping price. WTF. Cam.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nobody was as surprised by the shipping fee as I was. The package was just over 25 lbs and considered large but I've shipped heavier and bigger for less by ground though the post office. I assume that this change in policy not to use ground transport across state lines is their way of trying to get back into the black where revenue is concerned. I will be looking at alternative shippers in the future.
IMG_7802.JPG IMG_7816.JPG

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't like the stock jack on my trailer. I came across this after reading this thread and doing a quick search on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULC96UM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21AMBLH9EE4D4&coliid=I2R1R7CJATMAN4

Looks pretty rugged to me and the price seems reasonable. Love the idea of the black foot lever that drops it to the ground in a jiffy to minimize cranking. There is a top winder model as well and even a caster option if you need the wheel. All for not much more than @ Ronnie just had to pay for shipping (ouch).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update: I got a new trailer jack from Cequent dba Fulton today, just six days after they recieved my faulty one. No questions asked and they covered the shipping too me. I'm satisfied for now, until this or my other f2 jack fails.

IMG_7827.JPG

For anyone thinking about making a warranty claim on a Fulton product I recommend you do so but shop around for the best shipping rate.

By the way, there are oem parts for these jacks so if you want to replace the wheel with a foot you can for an incremental fee of course.

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the look of the fulton jack but have heard too many issues to be comfortable. I saw (of all things) a bass pro jack that actually looked really good and was very cheap. Anyone used one? The bass pro big wheel. Cam.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I've used the same model, only with the foot plate, vs. the wheel, since I'm not moving the trailer around on the jack. It also helps to prevent the trailer from "rolling" back a bit after it pops off of the ball when raising it up.

I have gone through 3 of these and it seems the salt water wreaks havoc on the guts despite how much I lube the gears, etc. It seems 2 years is also what I've come to expect in terms of useful life. Given that and what others are saying here, I doubt I'll get another one.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ironically, I think it is any type of water not just salt water that causes damage to the f2, 2 to 3 years seems to be the useful life for mine as well and I boat in slightly brackish or fresh water most of the time. I won't buy another one but will continue to send them in under warranty unless/until they stop honoring it.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah did you end up purchasing the jack you linked in this thread? If so, what do you think? My jack failed this weekend, so I'm in the market.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah did you end up purchasing the jack you linked in this thread? If so, what do you think? My jack failed this weekend, so I'm in the market.
I have not purchased it. My boat is still stuck in my back yard with snow and ice keeping me from getting it to the driveway and I may decide to wait until my stock one fails. If you do get the one I linked to please do review for us.