• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ribbon delete on a 4 Star California Model?

Revo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been looking into ribbon deletes for our 19 212X but I read somewhere that the CA models have a different intake manifold and thus a different ribbon. I checked a part website and sure enough CA 212 boats (whether X or S or whatever) have a different intake manifold part number. Can anyone with a California boat that’s done a ribbon delete confirm if the size is the same?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Unfortunately I think (but someone with a 2019 can confirm) that in 2019 Yamaha started making the ribbon part of the intake manifold. So the only way to do a ribbon delete on a 2019 and on is to cut it out of the intake manifold. I'm not aware of anyone having done that. Personally I only did the ribbon delete because it was so easy on my 2017, if I had to cut it out of the manifold I would not have done it as at that point the gains don't justify the effort.

As you can see in the 2019 part diagram below the ribbon appears to now be integrated into part #2 the intake manifold.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.58.03 AM.png

Revo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The part numbers are the same from 2016-2019. The exploded view changed and the ribbon is no longer available separately but nonetheless it’s the same part number between years.

However, where it does differ is the CA model compared to the regular one. The CA model has different part numbers.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The part numbers are the same from 2016-2019. The exploded view changed and the ribbon is no longer available separately but nonetheless it’s the same part number between years.

However, where it does differ is the CA model compared to the regular one. The CA model has different part numbers.
Read thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-ar195-ribbon-delete.22749/
This where I remember someone talking about the change. @dshscarab took apart his 2019 ar195 and discovered that the ribbon was one piece with the intake now. I don't know if the 212x is the same but the parts diagrams look the same for 2019. Have you actually taken yours apart to confirm that the ribbon isn't now part of the intake?

dshscarab: "No trust me really. I used to be an auto technician for 15 years. They changed it. I even bought the shop manual. Once you take the throttle body off the other piece doesn't come off. But that's okay. I cut it out. I put it all back together. I couldn't use the new Riva ring so let's hope everything works okay."

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
But regardless of what you find out, in the interest of answering your question.
Historically there were 2 ribbon sizes - with the CA models being the larger of the 2.
6D3-1444B-00-00 = SMALL RIBBON
6BH-1444B-00-00 = LARGE RIBBON

Some people have removed the ribbon without putting an insert back in with just as good results as using the inserts. But if you want to use an insert like the one from Aquasport (they have the smaller one) or WORX (I believe they have the larger one) then you will have to make sure you get the right insert for your model.

I don't know the part number of the larger insert from WORX.
I only know the part number for the smaller insert: AquaSport Billet Intake Ring YH-16002 (which I know is not useful to you, sorry)

Here is where I always put a word of caution. If you don't use an insert, DO NOT put the rubber gasket back in - there are known cases where that rubber gasket has been left in without a ribbon or insert and been sucked up into the engine.

My guess is you will find that the ribbon on your 2019 will need to be cut out and there isn't any delete insert kit (that I'm aware of) for this application so you will just run it without a ribbon or insert - if you decide the work is worth it.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Do the California editions have catalytic converters? That would be the biggest power gain if they do.