• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Richmond VA - where do you boat?

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hey All,

While I don’t have my 242 anymore, this is still the best forum out there for seeking knowledge! The family and I are moving to Richmond in June/July. Those of you familiar with the area, what are the top 2-3 lakes/river you would recommend to someone with a v-drive?

Thanks,

Tim

Lake Anna is just northeast of Richmond, it can get crowded but is a good sized lake within a short drive. Lots of people with wake boats on that lake. The James River is also another option. I haven't been boating on it but got married on the James in Williamsburg and there are some nice wide stretches. I'm sure some other locals will chime in as well.

The James is probably the most convenient.
If you go a bit North (Woodbridge) you can hit the Potomac River www.timsrivershore.com is a favorite hangout.

As mentioned Lake Anna is your closest lake and where most folks in Richmond call home. It can get crowded on the major holiday's but IMHO so will every other spot. Tims also has a place on Anna for good eats. Unique to Anna is 'The Sandbar". google "Sandbar Lake Anna" and you'll get a good idea of what i'm talking about. Imagine a 300 yard sandbar with waist high water and a volley ball court in the middle of it. On a good day you'll get 50-200 boats anchored. The scene can be chill to redneck YMMV.

You could reach Bugs Island in a couple hours. Very big lake that crosses into NC. I'd recommend hitting "LakeFest" which is 1 weekend in July. Google Clarksville + Lakefest

A bit further is Smith Mountain Lake (SML). If you don't mind towing - this is a great getaway. Water is deep and clean with several restaurants on the water. You can always find a weekend/weekly rental here.

Welcome to VA.

Lake Anna is just northeast of Richmond, it can get crowded but is a good sized lake within a short drive. Lots of people with wake boats on that lake. The James River is also another option. I haven't been boating on it but got married on the James in Williamsburg and there are some nice wide stretches. I'm sure some other locals will chime in as well.
Thanks for the info - we’re house hunting this weekend, so I might take some time to drive over that way.

The James is probably the most convenient.
If you go a bit North (Woodbridge) you can hit the Potomac River www.timsrivershore.com is a favorite hangout.

As mentioned Lake Anna is your closest lake and where most folks in Richmond call home. It can get crowded on the major holiday's but IMHO so will every other spot. Tims also has a place on Anna for good eats. Unique to Anna is 'The Sandbar". google "Sandbar Lake Anna" and you'll get a good idea of what i'm talking about. Imagine a 300 yard sandbar with waist high water and a volley ball court in the middle of it. On a good day you'll get 50-200 boats anchored. The scene can be chill to redneck YMMV.

You could reach Bugs Island in a couple hours. Very big lake that crosses into NC. I'd recommend hitting "LakeFest" which is 1 weekend in July. Google Clarksville + Lakefest

A bit further is Smith Mountain Lake (SML). If you don't mind towing - this is a great getaway. Water is deep and clean with several restaurants on the water. You can always find a weekend/weekly rental here.

Welcome to VA.
Great info and thanks for the welcome! We’re house hunting this weekend.

You will love boating here.
I go mostly to the James, six lane ramp at Osborne Landing and the gravel pit is April minutes away from Osborne. It’s a big cove with a small beach only accessible by boat. Great scene here. You can also ride all the way out to Virginia Beach.

Also have the Potomac and the Rapahannock. I’m in Hanover county (which I highly recommend if you have school aged children) so all these places are convenient to me.

Lake Anna is cool but I only go there weekdays, weekends way to crowded.

You will love boating here.
I go mostly to the James, six lane ramp at Osborne Landing and the gravel pit is April minutes away from Osborne. It’s a big cove with a small beach only accessible by boat. Great scene here. You can also ride all the way out to Virginia Beach.

Also have the Potomac and the Rapahannock. I’m in Hanover county (which I highly recommend if you have school aged children) so all these places are convenient to me.

Lake Anna is cool but I only go there weekdays, weekends way to crowded.
Thank you! We're starting our search down in the Chesterfield/Midlothian area and then may work our way up.

Thank you! We're starting our search down in the Chesterfield/Midlothian area and then may work our way up.

You will get more for your money there for sure, it’s just really crowded.

The west end is also convenient but extremely packed as well.

When looking in Hanover stay away from Ashland area(schools are not that great) anywhere in the Hanover high or atlee high is where you want to be.

Taxes being cheaper in Hanover will offset the initial investment not to mention your property will appreciate a lot more here.
Just my .02 cents from someone who moved here in 1995.

Good luck on your home search!!

Back