• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ridesteady "throttle node" VHF radio interference issue

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all,

Below is the information sent out to all Ridesteady for Yamaha owners. I wanted to also post it here so that any questions may be addressed and seen by the group.

Dear Ridesteady for Yamaha owner,

It has been brought to our attention that marine VHF radios can cause interference issues with the Ridesteady throttle nodes, particularly when running in 25 watt “high power” mode.

Symptoms: When transmitting or “keying” the VHF radio, the Ridesteady display may display “ERR”, indicating it has detected a signal issue (halting any speed control operations). Engine speed reduction during transmission may also be present, resuming engine speed after transmission has ended.

Prevention: Do not transmit on VHF radios on or around your boat. If this cannot be avoided, the throttle nodes must be unplugged from the APS, and the engine wiring harness plugged back into the APS (after both the Ridesteady system and your engine have been powered OFF, and the lights on your gauges have turned OFF).

It is important to keep all Ridesteady wires as far away from “electromagnetic interference” sources such as VHF radio antenna cable.

Solution: We expect to have a solution to the issue in the next few weeks, if not sooner, allowing for regular VHF radio use.

Questions/Answers: Could my mobile phone cause issues with the throttle node when it is transmitting? No; 25W VHF radios are about 100 times more powerful than a cell phone signal. We have never had any reports of, nor were we ever able to affect a throttle node in any way with a mobile phone, even in ‘worst case’ conditions.

Does this happen regardless of whether we are actively using speed control? Yes. Because the issue affects the throttle node itself, it does not matter whether the Ridesteady system is OFF or not, the system will be affected.

Next steps: We will contact you once a solution has been verified. In the meantime, don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions or concerns.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I can't imagine many of these running VHF's, except for hand held units, but I guess it all depends where you use them. Where I am from I have never seen a Yamaha Jet in saltwater around here, only on the lakes/ponds (where mine is, and no need for a VHF there). I have VHF's on my other boats in the s/w though.

Absolutely love the Ridesteady system, works perfectly! Still blows me away that it can really keep it at a tenth of a mph without varying one bit!

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@YamahaCC Thanks much for the feedback! VHF isn't very common here in the interior lakes of Texas either, but you do see it from time to time. But yes, even hand held units can affect the system, so we're doing our best to get a solution out as soon as possible. One of our great customers will be testing a potential solution in the next week or so, time permitting.