• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

RIVA Maptuner X ECU Reflash: Throttle Response and Speed Control

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
RIVA's Maptuner X is a blast. I have had the Maptuner 1 in the past, and there is just no comparison - as far as speed, and ease of use.

upload_2017-11-4_22-22-53.png

There is a ton of information on the system on greenhulk, albeit mostly concerning forced induction engines. Ordering through greenhulk store is the best way.
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246087
https://rivaracing.com/p-33822-maptunerx.html
https://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180

RIVA Maptuner is supported by a team led by Jesus Garcia. He has a reputation as a master tuner but is also great as far as customer service. He personally responds to all emails, and provides answers and custom program edits in a timely fashion. I couldn't be happier.
The RIVA tuning library for the 1.8 N/A is rudimentary but they are developing and adding new programs, accessible with a license.

Why a reflash of Yamaha 1.8 N/A (naturally aspirated) engine?
For me, the primary goal was to improve throttle response. In this regard, the reflash has proven very effective, as expected. Is it worth the money? To me - it is, but of course it depends.

Today, I asked my wife, Kate, to ride the boat as she normally would when pulling wakeboarders - I switched the ECU programming between either stock or RIVA. She was completely impressed and said that without a doubt the difference was remarkable. She compared it to driving a Ford Focus vs a BMW... LOL :cool: (which definitely made my day).

"Much more speed control...":

"Incremental acceleration...":

RIVA reflash also increases torque/power (especially in the low/mid range) yielding a big boost in acceleration and power when turning.
For example, with the most "aggressive" program I am now getting cavitation on the hole shot - due to additional power.

Cruising fuel economy is improved, too.

Top speed gains require impeller modifications - repitching the impellers one can take advantage of custom rev limiter. Otherwise the max RPM (and top speed) are only marginally improved - so the boat is quicker in getting to the top speed but not much faster at WOT. The alternative is tuning the pump with the L13 cone, and a combination - adjusting L13, impeller pitch, venturi nozzle bore. I haven't done any of it, at this point.

How does it work?
Short answer is - I don't really know. In an N/A engine torque/power gains must be mostly due to timing advances - reflash is optimized for use of Premium 93 Octane, factory is tuned for regular 87. Beyond that, the main advantage of a reflash is in smoothing out power delivery. The Yamaha boat ECUs are cookie cutter style and RIVA tunes make a difference by re-mapping the APSs response curve to better suit the boat.

Is it safe?
Yes - if you stay with Stage 1 "canned" tunes and use appropriate octane gas (93 Octane is required and I wouldn't use anything else).
And there should never be an issue if there is no premium gas around - the Maptuner X is very fast, so if there ever is a need to reflash back to stock tune it takes almost no time:
I timed myself today while on the water and reflashed both engines - from the time I stopped engines to restart - in less than 4min (3:51) total, not even rushing.

The tuner comes in a package with everything one needs - and it all fits neatly for carrying around in the boat. The battery cable is long enough to reach both ECUs in the 24' boat (thank you, Jerry!). I have used the X tuner for a couple of weeks now and have not had a single issue with synchronizing, reading, or programming.

The little touch screen is bright and works well, albeit there is some delay when touching the buttons - it takes a little getting used to.
upload_2017-11-4_23-12-15.png

The ECU plug is VERY easy and comfortable to use, helping the speed of the entire operation.
upload_2017-11-4_23-15-16.png

The initial reads of the engines VINs etc. take a few minutes, but after that the system is fast.
upload_2017-11-4_23-19-43.png

I noticed that with repeated use the system seems to "learn" and automatically recognizes an engine (vehicle) when the plug goes into the ECU. Very cool.
upload_2017-11-4_23-18-35.png

I have tested five or six programs by now, and Jesus is working on some more. The difference between the stock program and some of my favorite tunes is very noticeable, even in the hands of guests who are not familiar with these boats.
upload_2017-11-4_23-23-55.png

In theory, the Maptuner X can read fault codes in Yamaha 1.8s but I can not verify this as my boat has not thrown one, yet.
upload_2017-11-4_23-26-5.png

As far as Map Edit and Data Logging operations - I have no interest and little knowledge, doubt it's something I would ever be interested in doing on my own - especially with a N/A engine. Supercharged, or turbo, is a different story all together. But - it's hard to beat the reliability of the N/A 1.8.

I will continue testing the system, at this point a couple of programs seem close to what I would consider optimal. Jesus may still be able to improve on those, I think, but we are already very close to where I would like to be.

The next step for me - will be to focus on pump mods (which will be the subject of a different thread) - to take advantage of that newly found power!

I will post some video clips of the testing in the next post.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are some clips of Kate testing the system.

She didn't know basically anything about the reflash, I did not tell her what to expect, just asked her to drive the boat as she normally would.
We started in Stock and then switched to a RIVA "...102..." program, which I think is the best one so far.
Her reaction was very positive, as it is clear from her comments:

And here is her "Ford Focus vs BMW" comment, LOL.
(She used to drive a little Beemer and still misses it)

I asked her to elaborate, LOL:

BTW - if she finds out I'm posting this, I'm in serious trouble...

--

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Uh oh, you promised not to post! :)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up @swatski . My question is why you use 93 octane gas over 87 octane? If you were using 100% gas than it shouldn't make a difference as that's a selling tool for oil companies. It's the same as me using 93 octane in my truck. As long it is 100% gas it shouldn't make a difference I thought? Tried it both in my truck and gas mileage never increased. Only thing that ever made a difference for me in a vehicle is 85% ethanol which gave me more power but ran thru it quicker and obviously I wouldn't use this in a boat. I've used 100% 87 octane but wondering if 93 would help in a boat?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up @swatski . My question is why you use 93 octane gas over 87 octane? If you were using 100% gas than it shouldn't make a difference as that's a selling tool for oil companies. It's the same as me using 93 octane in my truck. As long it is 100% gas it shouldn't make a difference I thought? Tried it both in my truck and gas mileage never increased. Only thing that ever made a difference for me in a vehicle is 85% ethanol which gave me more power but ran thru it quicker and obviously I wouldn't use this in a boat. I've used 100% 87 octane but wondering if 93 would help in a boat?
One needs to use high octane fuel to prevent "knocking" (very bad for engines) as advancing the ignition timing is one way to increase torque/power in these 1.8 N/A engines.
The factory tuning is for 87 Octane, so there are no gains from using premium 93 Octane gas there.

EDIT: In other words, if I were to run on Regular 87 Octane I would reflash back to Stock tune. With the RIVA maps - need to use 93 Octane. I believe 91 is the minimum for Stage 1 programs, but why take any chances.

--

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok makes sense. Thought I could steal lil gain by using 93 oct lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok makes sense. Thought I could steal lil gain by using 93 oct lol.
Funny, we all think that but it doesn't work that way. I have never seen any increase in top speed/max RPM with premium gas. I think @SamCF tested it at some point, I think he got his best top speed on regular gas (with stock ECU). Not surprisingly.

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol. I lost 1-2 mph in top speed this year and I'm hoping it's due to me not ever changing out the spark plugs. I will change them next season to see how it responds. I used to hit 50 all the time and now having a hard time getting past 47-48 mph now.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lol. I lost 1-2 mph in top speed this year and I'm hoping it's due to me not ever changing out the spark plugs. I will change them next season to see how it responds. I used to hit 50 all the time and now having a hard time getting past 47-48 mph now.
It could be plugs but do you wet slip?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I do not. I might wet slip maybe 2-3 weekends out of the year on Memorial and labor days. Besides that, I pull her out every outing.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And not to mention I have 7 batteries and lots of stereo equipment probably bogging me down too.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The weight would certainly do it if you're comparing your speeds before and after the stereo + battery installs. 7 batteries?! Wow!! :eek:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya it's hard to say when I lost it. Been upgrading and adding things over time so not sure what did it. But yup, 1 starting battery, 6 batteries for the system, 2 subwoofers plus boxes for them. Each sub weighs 72 pounds lol, 2 wet sounds Rev410s and 5 amps. Plus wakeboard and other safety equipment and my fat butt. I think I've slightly lost speed too since adding my trim tabs, but worth it I suppose.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Funny, we all think that but it doesn't work that way. I have never seen any increase in top speed/max RPM with premium gas. I think @SamCF tested it at some point, I think he got his best top speed on regular gas (with stock ECU). Not surprisingly.

--
Yeah I tested every type of pump fuel available in my area. 87-93 non-ethanol, and 87-93 10% ethanol. My best speed was with 10% ethanol 87 octane. That is all I ran until I upgraded the supercharger. Near the end of the season I like to switch to 93 non-ethanol with stabilizer for storage.

These boats are setup with a really safe (rich) tune. The ethanol actually leans out your fuel/air mixture, which will add some power IF you are running rich.

After upgrades, I'm running 10% ethanol 93 octane. I can't find 93 non-ethanol anymore.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very interesting. So I'm guessing we can run 10% ethanol as long you don't let it sit for long periods?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very interesting. So I'm guessing we can run 10% ethanol as long you don't let it sit for long periods?
Correct, or stabilize the fuel for extended periods

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Letting it sit weekend to weekend is nothing to worry about? Lol. I've been so paranoid about that as I've always been told to use 100% gas.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Manual states to use regular fuel, up to 10% anyway.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its only the SVHO engines that require 91 or better with or without 10% ethanol