• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Road Tripping! What extra things do you take on a road trip with the boat?

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, I am gonna do the first road trip with the new boat and wonder what every take for a say 2 week road trip that they do not take for the weekenders? I am taking Jack and stands, tools, jumper/compressor combo unit, tow straps, grease gun and some extra marine grease. Obviously all the boat stuff for a trip to FL (unless you know of something that might be a oh I wish I had brought that! last time). Just looking for anything I might have missed or that those of you with much more road with the boat time might be able to point out!

Thanks for the help!

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's exactly what I just brought on a 7 hour road trip to GA with the wife an baby. Didn't end up needing any of it but sure helped my peace of mind. Didn't see it listed but I'm assuming you're bringing a spare trailer wheel/tire? Make sure your spare truck tire is good to go as well. Only other thing extra I always carry in the truck is a first aid kit as I cut my hand up pretty good changing a tire once...

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I am gonna do the first road trip with the new boat and wonder what every take for a say 2 week road trip that they do not take for the weekenders? I am taking Jack and stands, tools, jumper/compressor combo unit, tow straps, grease gun and some extra marine grease. Obviously all the boat stuff for a trip to FL (unless you know of something that might be a oh I wish I had brought that! last time). Just looking for anything I might have missed or that those of you with much more road with the boat time might be able to point out!

Thanks for the help!
I would bring some cleaning supplies if you are going to boat in salt water. At the very least make sure to find a fresh water hose at the launch and give everything a good spray down and flush the engines. Salt Away has been hard ish to come by in my corner of Florida, might be worth trying to get some before you come, another poster said he uses dawn dish soap to flush with if you can’t find any.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
White vinegar will dissolve salt as well as anything. Not likely to harm your engine internals either. I use that for our once or twice a year salt water trips.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's exactly what I just brought on a 7 hour road trip to GA with the wife an baby. Didn't end up needing any of it but sure helped my peace of mind. Didn't see it listed but I'm assuming you're bringing a spare trailer wheel/tire? Make sure your spare truck tire is good to go as well. Only other thing extra I always carry in the truck is a first aid kit as I cut my hand up pretty good changing a tire once...
Yes always have the first aid kit int the boat but one for the truck is a good idea too, would save digging in the boat should I need it! Nothing like knowing you have it and do not need it! I am big believer in murphy's law! If you pack it you will not need it, for get it and crap is gonna go wring and you will most need what you do not have!

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would bring some cleaning supplies if you are going to boat in salt water. At the very least make sure to find a fresh water hose at the launch and give everything a good spray down and flush the engines. Salt Away has been hard ish to come by in my corner of Florida, might be worth trying to get some before you come, another poster said he uses dawn dish soap to flush with if you can’t find any.
Cleaning stuff (sans hose's) stays in the boat, I am taking hose thought to flush each day/underway will be doing the all hands clean up at the end of the day, i.e. when we get back to the house! Clean first, eat second, then we drink! That's how the Chief Rolls!

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
White vinegar will dissolve salt as well as anything. Not likely to harm your engine internals either. I use that for our once or twice a year salt water trips.
Spray bottle of white vinegar just made the packing list! Thanks great idea I can spray down then rinse, boat will smell like a pickle but better that than scaling up!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Thanks for the help!
After my experience this weekend, I’d throw in a couple 4’ treated 2x6 or 2x4 boards and 2 1/2” screws (Or maybe some of those super heavy duty zip ties) to use as patches in case you break a bunk board. Also assorted size blocks and wheel chocks.

I used a 3’ long 2x4 and 6 screws to secure it to my bunk. Felt nice and secure. But these bunks flex so much, all 6 screws ripped out of the bunk like the board was totally rotten when I loaded. Just got it replaced tonight, and it was a really solid board. It broke at a knot in the wood, the rest was quite solid. No idea how those screws pulled out, but other than putting a crap ton more screws in it, I’m not sure what I should have done differently.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Like the idea, already have a set of wheel chocks, but putting a couple pt boards on the bottom of my "to go bin" might be a good idea! Was gonna put a couple of squares for the jack stands but the pt will do the job and could be a patch if needed!

Thanks

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We keep a Boat US trailer tow membership as well as spare trailer bearings and seals for the just in case issues on long trips. Having the parts can save lots of time.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We keep a Boat US trailer tow membership as well as spare trailer bearings and seals for the just in case issues on long trips. Having the parts can save lots of time.
Great point! So let me ask about the tow service, how does everyone feel about Boat US vs Seatow? Gonna do my Google-Fu for reviews but have found opinions on here to be very valuable too.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just to clarify - we use the Bost US trailer and auto towing service not their on water tow service. I used the service once after forgetting the truck keys were in my bathing suit when I went swimming at Bradenton beach on a Memorial weekend - it destroyed the chip - and I did not bring a spare key 1200 miles from home - one other thing to bring - extra vehicle key. Bout US got a locksmith to me about an hour later. Time delay was due to traffic.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you have most things covered already. I usually also throw some electrical supplies in the truck. Multi-meter, soldering iron, strippers, crimpers, connectors, things like that. Just enough stuff to make a quick roadside repair to your lights.

If you intend to take the truck and leave the trailer, a ball locking device at some level, and perhaps a cable/boot for the wheels to help keep the trailer in your possession is a good idea.

A call to your insurance provider is also most likely worthwhile to see if coverage extends or retracts when towing out of state, or over long distances. Often times you can get additional coverage for all the extra stuff you're bringing for not much money. Good inexpensive peace of mind IMO.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Thanks for the help!
Can of fix of flat