• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Roof leak ?? <2012 Silverado>

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey all,

I’ve got a 2012 Silverado with 120,000 on it. Great truck, my first adult purchase after school.

I got in to go to work on Wednesday and there was a very musty mildew smell. It had rained the night before... I turned around to see the water damage on the rear pillar, drivers side.

The other two photos attached are what looks to be a crack (!??) in the metal. Am I seeing things?

I called the body shop I have worked with before and they didn’t want any part of it. I picked up some clear silicone at HD, cleaned the area and went to town.
Any other ideas or words of advice? I’m really attached to this truck but my gut says fix it, clean it up, and trade it in...

Attachments

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like it’s been wet above the rear window and not just at the pillar if I’m seeing the picture correctly. I don’t think those are cracks but just seems where the sections were welded together. I would check the rear window seal and the third brake light.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
single or crew cab ? sunroof ?

the water stain looks like it really migrated, could it have been there longer and you just didn't notice it or was it really a one rain event issue ?

I would hate to get rid of a good running truck, I think I might pull the whole headliner and run a hose on the roof to see if you can identify where the water is coming in.

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Extended cab, no sunroof. I did have the back window replaced 4 years ago after I shattered it with a 2x4 on a cold day.

it’s definitely possible something was happening snd I didn’t notice until I got the smell...

single or crew cab ? sunroof ?

the water stain looks like it really migrated, could it have been there longer and you just didn't notice it or was it really a one rain event issue ?

I would hate to get rid of a good running truck, I think I might pull the whole headliner and run a hose on the roof to see if you can identify where the water is coming in.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d headliner and put a sprinkler on the roof to see if I could find the leak. My guess And hope is it’s a bad window or brake light seal, nothing to get rid of the truck over.

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha yeah I definitely hit the panic button a little too fast on this one.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dang, now I'm going to check my truck. 2015 z71. 3rd brake light seal huh, ok.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang, now I'm going to check my truck. 2015 z71. 3rd brake light seal huh, ok.
Same truck here.

Mine only leaked when parked "nose uphill" and it rained heavily. I back into my driveway most days and it slopes such that I'm "nose downhill". Took me almost a year to notice the leak, and then another 3-4mo to track it down.

Was an expensive seal. List was like $125 from GM I think.