• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rookie boater, new owner!!

Trisha Fritz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Hello from Michigan! My husband And I purchased our first ever boat the end of last season....2015 glastron gt187 we were sold on the swim deck!
We are so new its nerve wracking and not yet fun for me,, I’m gettting there :) learning tons (the boat never stops unless turned off wtf? Lol) and making mistakes.
Our last boat ride of the season, we dropped in the river and wouldn’t accelerate....clueless we pulled out of the river convinced our new purchase was garbage....turns out we sucked up some seaweed and after a quick search I found had we used reverse things may have been fine, too late we were already home. We have a lot to learn! Yet to take her out since as it was winterized shortly there after, hoping for a easy fun summer, wish us luck, any tips or normal running stats would be greatly appreciated! You don’t know what you don’t know!

Attachments

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Have a check list for everything from pre-launch to the time you u hook your trailer for the night. That will solve a lot of little oh shit moments. But I was new last year and made a lot of rookie mistakes. Im still here and love my boat more than ever. I launched without plugs, forgot to unhook the wrench, forgot to unhook the trailer straps, forgot to put close the clean out port, have failed inspections for leaving flotation devices at home. But once you do all that shit and realize nobody gives a fuck it makes life easier. I couldn't even back up a trailer last year. Once it took me 20 tries to get the boat in the water. Now it's easy peasy lemon squeezy

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to another resident of the "Mitten"!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the party! It's a beautiful boat, congratulations.

Essentially what you have is a oversized jet ski. Which means it kind of needs to be driven like one. Even at idle the impellers never stop turning, because there's no transmission. In neutral the thrust from the sill moving impeller is split between these reverse gate. Half forwards and half reverse. It should have some adjustment if you find yourself wandering excessively. I think the rest just takes practice and a routine.

Enjoy your summer!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Trisha Fritz. Great looking boat. As mentioned check lists are a great aid. A lifesaver in aviation and a convenience and embarrassment saver in boating.

When I was new boating my wife and I would go to the ramp early on a weekday when nobody was around to practice our launching and retrieval routine so as not to irritate the experienced boaters.

I find it helpful to do many things at home before heading to the ramp:
1. check oil
2. install ignition keys & lanyard
3. start engines, advance throttle, shut off.
4. attach dock lines & fenders
5. install bilge drain plug
6. install clean out plugs
7. have all gear in boat

Your list may have more or less items but I can't tell you how many times I see dead batters or motors that won't start just to be told by the guy trying up the ramp, "gee, It ran fine at the end of last season."

Vandkyle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome and congratulations on the new boat. Glad you found the reverse trick!

Checklists are a must....have one on the side of the fridge we check before leaving the house!
Just bought a 2004 Polaris EX 2100 jet boat. Never grew up on a boat, and this is the first boat I’ve owned. Would you mind sharing your checklist. Thanks in advance.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The checklist in the FAQ area of the forum is awesome ... thanks to @txav8r

On my last occasion I did not consult the FAQ and it bit me in the ass, because mud daubers had set-up their winter home in my cooling water ports (pee holes) ... it was a complete shit-show with both engines in limp-mode, high winds and I was free floating and detached from the trailer.

Note to self ... use the checklist, use the checklist, use the checklist

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length