• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rookie mistake, sucked up the rope

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
98519 So we bought a 2011 Challenger 210 Sea Doo Boat. Took it out the next day for a few hours...rookie mistake - started the boat with the rope under it. I was able to ride to shore, trailer it, and cut the rope off. We went back out and had a blast. We took it out a week later and had no problems. However I noticed that one of the engines took a split second longer to start. We had no performance issues will cruising at around 30mph. The next day I got under the boat and saw this. I would reach up there and unwind that last little bit of rope that is wound around and melted to the rubber housing...but then I would need to remove the intake grate which means resealing....Or I could remove the pump from the back but I've been told that is a task and takes a few hours...any suggestions?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Owch.

Yes, you need to get that off there. It will cause cavitation and bad juju. As to how... Never pulled the pump on a Sea Doo. Too bad that is so messy. How about a long set of needle nose pliers?

Beyond that, maybe you could work it off with a long piece of metal? Like a pointer or something?

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
We pulled quite a bit of fibers out with pliers. When I say we I mean my 9 year old with skinny arms. My hand can't fit far enough through the grate. I found 13" needle nose online; I'll try those.

The part I'm not sure it will help is the rope that melted to the impeller boot. I'm also worried about damaging the boot more by trying to get the needle nose pliers under the part that melted. Could poke a hole...maybe I'll just spend a few hours pulling the jet pump:(...probably need to replace the boot anyway.

How do I know if its causing cavitation?

Thanks for the help!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You'll hear & feel the cavitation depending on its severity.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks! I may take it out tonight to see if I notice anything.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also not unheard of to get most of it, then run it hard to blow out the rest... That happens.

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
My two cents having sucked up before. If it’s melted to the boot order a new impeller boot then pull the pump and replace. Not a hard job. Took me about hour and half with never having worked on a jet pump. Sealing wasn’t too bad either. plus gave me a chance to check out wear ring. Impeller and repack pump etc. here’s pics of mine when I pulled the pump with the rope around shaft as well the boot with the rope melted into it. Boot was ineffective once the rope melted to it. 98654 98655

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks!! It has been running great and not affecting anything. I have taken it out 3 to 4 times since I posted the pics. No cavitation or anything. I have checked it afterwards every time hoping it would blow out the rest but it hasn't. I think because that part of it that melted to the boot holds it there. Thanks for your advice. It gives me a little more hope that I can do it myself. I hate to spend a 400 on something I can do myself. What do you mean by sealing? Do I need to get some sealant?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The pump is usually easier to pull on the Sea doo, but the shaft stays on the boat, and pulling the shaft is a little bit painful. The pump comes off with just a few bolts. (On my old seadoo 4 nuts around the pump and steering and reverse cable. It's easier to pull the 4 bolts to remove steering and reverse gate so the pump is lighter when you pull it I bet youtube has some videos on it.

In short, don't be afraid of it, it's not that bad. Once you pull the pump you can probably recover all without pulling the shaft. There is some bad gel coat damage there too on the picture. Maybe knife and sand paper and a water weld expoxy stick can fix it well quickly.

Best of luck!