• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax 4 Tec supercharger breaks apart at 100 hours???

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last posted here. That only means that things have been great. The only recent issue that came up for me was an upstream O2 sensor causing serious lean fuel issues last year. RPM's were all over the place. However once I replaced the correct sensor everything went back to normal and the boat was 100%.

However at the end of the season I ran into a guy at a boat launch. He told me to be aware that at 100 hours, the supercharger on my 2014 Scarab 195 will break apart and pieces from it will go into the engine and destroy the engine. Is that true? Anybody heard anything of this sort?

Last edited:

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes, and it happens at exactly 100 hours.
Ok, kidding. Scarab supercharger rebuild recommendation is 200 hours.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, and it happens at exactly 100 hours.
Ok, kidding. Scarab supercharger rebuild recommendation is 200 hours.
Thanks! Yea I didn't mean to be so exact about the 100 hour milestone, but obviously the dude who mentioned this to me was being approximate. Is there a rebuild step-by-step somewhere that tells me what parts I need to purchase, the repair steps, etc.? Is there maybe even a video out there for this?

Last edited:

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Tommy Lee, I believe your scarab has a 200 hour service interval, i'm sure other scarab owners can confirm. most of us send out the supercharger for rebuild as it requires special tools. there are videos of seadoo's on youtube that show you step by step instructions on how to remove and re-install, should be the same as your scarab BRP engine. it's not too difficult to do, takes a couple of hours. parts and labor for the rebuild if you remove the supercharger yourself is about $500 and a week turnaround time.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Tommy Lee, I believe your scarab has a 200 hour service interval, i'm sure other scarab owners can confirm. most of us send out the supercharger for rebuild as it requires special tools. there are videos of seadoo's on youtube that show you step by step instructions on how to remove and re-install, should be the same as your scarab BRP engine. it's not too difficult to do, takes a couple of hours. parts and labor for the rebuild if you remove the supercharger yourself is about $500 and a week turnaround time.
Thanks. So parts is about $500? That doesn't include labor from a shop correct? I would imagine two hours labor would be another approx $250 for a shop to do it.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
$500 is parts and labor of the rebuild. add another $500 if you want a shop/mechanic to remove and install the supercharger (couple of hours to remove and couple of hours to install), but most just remove the supercharger themselves and ship the supercharger to one of the many companies that are experienced at rebuilding (that's what i did at least). like this one.. Sea-Doo Supercharger Rebuild Service

Paul Dufault

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I am loving my 2020 255open with twin 200's. 83 hrs so far. bought it with 35hrs. Did my 50 hr. maintenance and want to understand what I should do beyond the 100hr maintenance. I am relieved to know that the supercharger is Maintenance free. However, the guy that did my 50 hr said I will need to rebuild the "water pumps" at 100hrs. I can't find anything that backs that up. Any feedback would be appreciated

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Correct on the 200hr interval. All Supercharged rotax engines from 2009+ (i believe thats the correct year) have the rebuild interval at 200hrs. anything before 2009 has a 100hr rebuild interval. pre 2009 superchargers were using ceramic washers as opposed to the new stainless steel washers.

The rebuild is about 500$ US if you remove the supercharger and bring it in. Rebuild kit is about 300$ and then 200$ for labor. Tag another 200$ in labor if you drop off the boat with the supercharger in it.

You can access the supercharger pretty easy. I was able to get to it by moving the muffler, and inlet/outlet hoses from the supercharger. 5 Reverse torx screws holding it in.