• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax engine substitute oil filter ?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Getting ready to order my oil and filter for my Chap engines and Amazon pulled this filter up as a substitute. reading through the description and the reviews, looks like it would be a suitable substitute for the standard filter. Anyone have experience with using this or something other than the standard filter in the Rotax engines?

Sub:

https://www.amazon.com/KN-556-Powersports-High-Performance-Filter/dp/B001NAP2E0/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001NAP2E0&pd_rd_r=S2GZNTEYQWRTRDEMV2KF&pd_rd_w=NJ5kf&pd_rd_wg=9TCzY&psc=1&refRID=S2GZNTEYQWRTRDEMV2KF

what I am calling the standard filter:

https://www.amazon.com/SeaDoo-4-TEC-4-Stroke-Filter-420956741/dp/B001KJ8TJ4/ref=pd_sbs_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001KJ8TJ4&pd_rd_r=FX2Q08MD2HANWJR9DSG3&pd_rd_w=IgFql&pd_rd_wg=K4p4r&psc=1&refRID=FX2Q08MD2HANWJR9DSG3

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure on that engine bu I run the K&N filters in my dirt bikes. High quality and better than the OEM ones. Also much cheaper which is the main goal. Cam.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I've always gone with the OEM filters in our BRP. If you do change the filter brand, be sure to get the 3 O-rings that you'll need for the oil filter change. I normally get the oil change kit for about $75. Comes with everything you need plus spark plugs (except for the O-ring that goes under the cover bolt.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Doo-4-Stroke-Watercraft-Maintenance-295501075/dp/B004QID0TA/ref=pd_sim_263_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004QID0TA&pd_rd_r=GY8YZ1Y01RB0FMER7BP3&pd_rd_w=2Rcer&pd_rd_wg=xR5io&psc=1&refRID=GY8YZ1Y01RB0FMER7BP3

Last edited:

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We have the entire BRP oil filter kit for $40.99. It includes the filter and all 3 o-rings. You can substitute that oil filter by itself using the K&N filter. It doesn't come with o-rings and is priced at about $16.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do yourself a favor, and dont use that K&N, or the stock BRP filter.

You can use the 1630 ACE filter on the 1503. It is a new BRP product that has been improved. Part number 420956744. You can find it for less than $20 on Amazon. And it does come with the new O rings. Don't pay the dealership's over 100% markup over cost.
https://www.amazon.com/CAN-SEA-DOO-FILTER-420956744/dp/B016CAQDOS

Last edited:

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So what's the fuss all about which filter to use? They all work just fine. Unless, you hydrolock your motor (Filter Collapses), or you just don't change them but once a year. :yuck:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no fuss at all. Its an informative thread. The new BRP product is superior, and its $20 on Amazon. And you won't hydrolock your engine if your filter collapses, hydrolock is when water is ingested by the engine. If the filter gets damaged in any way (which is highly doubtful) there is a secondary strainer. This will cause a loss in oil pressure, and the ECU will shut the engine down to protect itself way before it locks up the engine.
So what's the fuss all about which filter to use? They all work just fine. Unless, you hydrolock your motor (Filter Collapses), or you just don't change them but once a year. :yuck:

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The Fuss word was sent with a smile Mike :). A collapsed oil filter doesn't CAUSE a hydro-lock, You're correct)...water ingestion does,..and if you see the collapsed oil filter,..you have ingested water or coolant. I thought I was clear on this and it would've been understood by most here (I assumed). So, I will add to this for Everybody's viewing pleasure. First, if there is any water at all getting into the motor in anyway shape or form by misuse, flipping, sinking, water leak ingestion, corrosion issues, drive-line issue leaks, unfortunate mishaps, improper towing ("Going to fast" while towing, forcing water back through your exhaust into engine) etc.,,then if the motor were to be re-started and mix with the oil, causing it to be a nice creamy milk look, (not too mention show an abnormal oil level on your dipstick), YOUR OIL FILTER WILL COLLAPSE in a very short time,...causing your ECU to kick in putting you into limp mode, to avoid any further engine damage, requiring a De-water on your engine. PLEASE NOTE:***This is unless your engine is completely hydro-locked not allowing any piston movement, and then your complaint will be,"It won't Start, it just clicks,..and you will think it's a bad starter." And, how many pictures of a collapsed oil filter from water ingestion would you like me to send you or post? They literally fold themselves in half.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ron, first of all this subject has been covered (hydrolocking the rotax) several times in the past. A little search, and you will see. Second, your comment was what brought on my responce. Not everyone knows if you are joking when you post information on here especially with a deceiving user name that makes you believe you work or are associated by Scarab which you are not. You may sell or service the boats, but that is far from actually being employed, or associated with RBH in any other way than a distributing and service partner.

The simple question here was info on a comparison on oil filters, the OP got his answers. You place your $.02 which is appreciated, then you advertise your $40 kit that anyone can find on the net for half the cost.

The Fuss word was sent with a smile Mike :). A collapsed oil filter doesn't CAUSE a hydro-lock, You're correct)...water ingestion does,..and if you see the collapsed oil filter,..you have ingested water or coolant. I thought I was clear on this and it would've been understood by most here (I assumed). So, I will add to this for Everybody's viewing pleasure. First, if there is any water at all getting into the motor in anyway shape or form by misuse, flipping, sinking, water leak ingestion, corrosion issues, drive-line issue leaks, unfortunate mishaps, improper towing ("Going to fast" while towing, forcing water back through your exhaust into engine) etc.,,then if the motor were to be re-started and mix with the oil, causing it to be a nice creamy milk look, (not too mention show an abnormal oil level on your dipstick), YOUR OIL FILTER WILL COLLAPSE in a very short time,...causing your ECU to kick in putting you into limp mode, to avoid any further engine damage, requiring a De-water on your engine. PLEASE NOTE:***This is unless your engine is completely hydro-locked not allowing any piston movement, and then your complaint will be,"It won't Start, it just clicks,..and you will think it's a bad starter." And, how many pictures of a collapsed oil filter from water ingestion would you like me to send you or post? They literally fold themselves in half.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Okay Mike, I was only clearing up your statement of: "(And you won't hydrolock your engine if your filter collapses)" Since you mentioned it was already addressed somewhere else on the Forum,..you might want to re-read it unless that info is incorrect, then it should be changed.

And, you're right Mike,..I don't work for Scarab, not that I ever once claimed to be---It's a USER ID. I have nothing to hide Mike, so your point (Dig) is irrelevant. And, I will straighten out everybody here that reads this,...I am not on this "Forum" for a Profitable gain. I take my own time out to help people here that own Scarabs. I do not get paid for this and there is no compensation in any way shape or form by anyone. When I mention to people that I can get you something that you are looking for I believe is a courtesy, especially when people say that their dealer sucks, stinks, doesn't do there job, doesn't help, can't fix, takes forever, etc, etc,...is the only time I will mention something of the sort.

Bob Johnson asked for info on oil filters. I gave him some. I apologize if you think that just because I said we have BRP oil filter kits for $40 that I was trying to get a sale,..you're wrong. It was just to show him that he can get an entire kit for $40. I could care less where he gets it. And to add to that, I even gave a price for the K&N one for $16. It's added info, that's all. Attn: Bob,..here is the part number for that oil filter kit to take to your dealer: 0460590 Retail price $40.99, dealer cost $26.64! Microphone drop!!!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay Mike, I was only clearing up your statement of: "(And you won't hydrolock your engine if your filter collapses)" Since you mentioned it was already addressed somewhere else on the Forum,..you might want to re-read it unless that info is incorrect, then it should be changed.

And, you're right Mike,..I don't work for Scarab, not that I ever once claimed to be---It's a USER ID. I have nothing to hide Mike, so your point (Dig) is irrelevant. And, I will straighten out everybody here that reads this,...I am not on this "Forum" for a Profitable gain. I take my own time out to help people here that own Scarabs. I do not get paid for this and there is no compensation in any way shape or form by anyone. When I mention to people that I can get you something that you are looking for I believe is a courtesy, especially when people say that their dealer sucks, stinks, doesn't do there job, doesn't help, can't fix, takes forever, etc, etc,...is the only time I will mention something of the sort.

Bob Johnson asked for info on oil filters. I gave him some. I apologize if you think that just because I said we have BRP oil filter kits for $40 that I was trying to get a sale,..you're wrong. It was just to show him that he can get an entire kit for $40. I could care less where he gets it. And to add to that, I even gave a price for the K&N one for $16. It's added info, that's all. Attn: Bob,..here is the part number for that oil filter kit to take to your dealer: 0460590 Retail price $40.99, dealer cost $26.64! Microphone drop!!!
You are full of shit.

Here is a response to a thread.

The OP asked...
Hi Ron,

I see your knowledgable posts in this forum and wanted to ask you some questions. Just for an introduction, do you work for Scarab or are you a Scarab dealer?

Thanks,

Walt

2016 215 HO Impulse Wake:

1. I have two towing attachment points. The one at the top of the the tower and the one at the back of the boat. What are my limitations on the tower attachment? Only tow wake surfers with this one?

2. On the back of the Viper II circuit board there is a Wi-Fi antenna. (Labeled Wi-Fi) What is this for? I connect my phone to the system via BlueTooth so I’m curious what this is for.

3. Where does the factory put a second battery on the 215 HOI wake boat? I am interested in installing a 2nd battery but am not sure what location to use. (The wake ballast bags take up the compartments on the sides)

4. The new towers on the 215 HOI, 2017> use metal poles angled to the front for additional tower stability under speed. My 2016 has straps. Can my boat be retrofitted with the poles or were there changes to the tower to allow the installation of poles in the 2017> models?

5. The wet storage area at the back of the boat does not drain statically or while underway, what is the fix to this problem? I have confirmed there is not obstruction by sticking the garden hose in the hole and under pressure, pushing water through the hole and out the drain under the boat.
And you answered with this...
I am both my friend.

(I believe I answered these questions somewhere for somebody recently:)

Tower top or lower attachment: Rule is one line for ONE person doing the activity, period. What you do later, is up to you, but don't blame Scarab if you snap things, lol!

HOI Tower Extensions: My recommendation is to have a local canvas shop add them for you. I know this isn't the answer you probably want to hear, but we don't have anything for that.

Wi-fi,..has nothing to do with any applications we have offered etc. ( I will check some of our boats radio manuals for you since I haven't seen anything on this yet.)

If the drains aren't draining have your dealer look for kinks in the hoses, or check the valve itself. That is the only issue we ever come across.

In 2016, there wasn't an option for a Dual Battery setup. You will need to find a place suitable depending on your needs and add another switch for dual batteries. Your dealer can do this for you.
In 2017, we don't offer dual batteries either. I would add it in the rear seat compartment, but you have ballasts so that eliminates that idea. If you didn't have those, that would be a perfect spot.

I know this doesn't sound like helped a lot, but what you are seeking remains to the minds of the aftermarket.
Send me more info as to plans on this. Scarab and myself have been working on a sponsorship for this exact trip.
Also, there is NO REASON to buy a Scarab renumbered BRP part for twice the price, when you can buy a better and updated part from BRP for half the cost.

As far as you not coming here to make a profit, how about that boat that you are selling at "boat show" discounts. GTFO of here with your nonsense.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, and just to set the picture, here is the classic bait and switch to lure customers to you. Im my thread I posted about changing out my mat. I posted a price from what I purchased mine from an authorized vendor on this site.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/replace-stuff-on-scarab-blog-extended-version.12937/

You posted this....

We could've got you a new updated version for the entire boat for that money. Even your local dealer could have done that for you.
I can offer you some tips for installing that will help your mat last as long as the boat, unless you've already installed the mat.
So I sent you this PM.
Ron, you said you could get me the whole boat for what I had paid JetboatPilot.

How much would it costs to just order the cockpit mats like the one in your picture?

Let me know.
Thanks
Your response...
The cockpit Gray scarab mat is $704.53 for the boat. Also, I believe I was only talking about the swim platform mat.
Here is mine back to you....
No, you said the entire boat.
Replace stuff on Scarab blog (extended version).

Thanks for the assistance. I may look into doing this in a few months.
And then you...
Gotcha, I am a little loopy today from the dental repair I did yesterday. Just something to think about, Hydro-turf sells mats for the PWC and they are about $108.00, along with mats for other jetboats (Not ours yet), that are averaging $450. They are not as nice nor as comfortable and I have been selling those for 20 years.
Oh yea, and you can get the whole 100 hour service kit for $30 more than what you are selling a filter and o rings (that come with the filter anyway,lol) except this one has the old style oil filter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Doo-4-TEC-XPS-Rotax-Engine-Oil-Change-Kit-With-Spark-Plugs-Filter-Seadoo-/361074515400?hash=item5411b7ddc8:g:L7gAAOSwkZhWS49f&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Any clarification on the differences between the older OEM filter and the new one? Different media? More pleating/surface area?

Micah Thompson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do yourself a favor, and dont use that K&N, or the stock BRP filter.

You can use the 1630 ACE filter on the 1503. It is a new BRP product that has been improved. Part number 420956744. You can find it for less than $20 on Amazon. And it does come with the new O rings. Don't pay the dealership's over 100% markup over cost.
https://www.amazon.com/CAN-SEA-DOO-FILTER-420956744/dp/B016CAQDOS
Hey Mike, I took your advice and ordered a couple of these filters off Amazon for my Vortex, and they are extremely nice OEM filters, thank you.

One point however, they do not come with O-rings at all like your post suggested, I'm about to put in an order for the O-rings separately I suppose.

Do those need to be changed every single time, or the can they be reused a time or two?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They dont have to be changed if they look good, but it is recommended. Glad you like your upgraded filters!

Hey Mike, I took your advice and ordered a couple of these filters off Amazon for my Vortex, and they are extremely nice OEM filters, thank you.

One point however, they do not come with O-rings at all like your post suggested, I'm about to put in an order for the O-rings separately I suppose.

Do those need to be changed every single time, or the can they be reused a time or two?

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Been a long time Ladies and Germs. By the way this has been the coldest April in SE Michigan EVER... according to the news reports.. Must be that bratty azz El Niño rearing his cold little face.

I searched the forums and apologies if its been answered but what are the BEST SPARK PLUGS for my Scarab 215 HOI?

Thanks Y'all

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NGK spark plugs. DCPR8E

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Got it! Do I have to gap'em ? If so, to what? I like to check them at least before I put them in a greasy hole.

Thanks Ron