• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rotax section

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys, there are 3-4 sections for Scarab, Glastron, Chaparral, and Seadoo. All of these have one thing in common, and that's the engine. There are tips and a knowledge base being missed by our members because they do not know to look at the other sections.

I think we need a Rotax section so we can get a knowledge base together. That way people know to look there for any engine information. There are a few versions of the rotax, pumps, and electronics.

What do you think?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I for one would love it. I know a site doesn't want to spread things out into toooo many categories but this one would be extremely useful.
I have all the different boat sub categories watched, so I get alerts when anything is posted in scarab, glastron chaparral, sea-doo.. But a Rotax alone group would be perfect for topics just applying to engines.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It seems like a sticky link in all of the above mentioned categories that would point members to the Rotax motor area would be beneficial as well.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting idea @Administrative . We talked about this when we first set up the forum and how to break apart the Yamaha Models. We had some spirited exchanges about how they could be sub-divided. In the end we did it by Manufacturer/model type, not engine type. So if we were to make a Rotax engine section, would we also create a Yamaha engine section? And would we then want sub forums based on the various engines (Yamaha-2 Cycle, MR1 Non-HO, MR1 HO, 1.8L, 1.8 SVHO etc)?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is back to the same discussion we had before. The issue isn't how it is categorized but how it cross references. If a guy with a Chap rotax asks a question about engine in the Chap forum, will it open in the rotax forum as well? To help with this, and to call on @ScarabMike to help us better with how they should be set up. On the Yamahas, the engines follow with one manufacturer, that has one line of engines, Yamaha boats, yamaha engines, and different models with those engines. But with the other jet boat manufacturers, it is exact opposite. A single engine manufacturer with different variations of those engines. And with those, different models of boats with various engines, but the same basic intake, pump powered by different engines. Granted different engines have different pump components but all are still very similar. I take it that the different MF have different but very similar engines of Rotax variety in their boats. How do we break this down?

Below is the manufacturer-engine manufacturer/id-boat model
Yamaha-Yamaha-Yamaha
Chap-Rotax-Chap
Glastron-Rotax-Glastron
SeaDoo-Rotax-SeaDoo
Scarab-Rota-Scarab

Because Yamaha makes their engines, it made sense to set up the forums under manufacturers. Is there a way to link threads and posts that start under Rotax but will appear under the correct make as well? I am all for making it as helpful as possible, but 30 different forums doesn't help, it makes it hard to decide where to ask/post/search for your subject. Maybe for these boats, we should have the main forum as Rotax??? Such as:
Rotax-Chap-Chap
Rotax-Glas-Glas
Rotax-SeaDoo-SeaDoo
Rota-Scarab-Scarab
Whatever helps the member without confusing an equal number of members is probably best.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This Rotax section would only benefit if members only post engine related posts to that section and not in the manufacturers section. That would require educating the members and moderators moving posts to keep order.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We could simply make one ENGINE section....then add the same sort of filters we applied to the Classified section and allow members to filter by engine type.
For just Rotax engines I would agree but not for both Yamaha and Rotax. I like the organic flow of the Yamaha sections. It seems Rotax/BRP has thrown a wrench into our forum. Ugh!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For just Rotax engines I would agree but not for both Yamaha and Rotax. I like the organic flow of the Yamaha sections. It seems Rotax/BRP has thrown a wrench into our forum. Ugh!
We dont really have an engine section for the Yamahas though....for example, the 21 foot boats have 2 different engine options but are lumped into one forum.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys there is a way to get this accomplished. We can either pin a link to each section to the rotax section, or place a flag that advises people to look at that section for information.

The problem is the Yamaha has been in the game for quite some time. These owners for the most part know where to look for info. The new manufacturers are filled with new owners with no experience. I have seen the same questions several times on the other forums, and I have had to redirect them to the Scarab forum.

The Rotax forum would cover all the different variants of the 1503 powerplant, and the new 1630 ACE, and also cover its features the iBR, iST, and piloting the Rotax powered vessels as they are very different to the Yamahas.