• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Routine compression testing?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My MR1 engines have been running great. I had engine cylinder compressions tested when I bought the boat; but after several seasons I am curious if they have changed any. I really haven't seen any procedures for testing. I suspect it is as simple as pulling all plugs connecting to the test cylinder and motoring a few seconds with the lanyard pulled. Is there a formal procedure? Will any compression gauge work? I am also curious about hours accumulated. Is there any other way than dealer (over an hour away)? I have a YDS cable (only) but have not been motivated enough to accomplish the other steps to make it work... a bit intimidated.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Should be as easy as
Pull all the spark plugs out.
pull lanyard,
install tester in cylinder
push the button on the side of your throttles so you can go wide open throttle and it will still crank.
Turn it over for a few compression strokes on the cylinder your testing (should be just a few seconds).
Record results.

Most compression testers come with adapters for different plug sizes, it should be easy to find the right one.

Setup your YDS, you'll be glad you did.... it's pretty simple if your cable works. (mine doesn't work and I haven't messed with it to figure out why) Don't take it to a dealer.

Last edited:

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like we are in the same boat with YDS. It probably is not that difficult to make it work; but one glitch and it is too much of a headache. I just replaced our laptop (damaged-dead) with a MacBook Air. I assume YDS is windows based, so I am short a laptop for it. If I don't find anyone close by, I may just have to build a Frankenlaptop from pieces of previous machines get the software and give it a try. I am sure I will get motivated if I ever throw a code!

Mpalozzi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it worth it if your still getting compression? I know this is an old post but if your getting over I'd say 90psi per cylinder are you even going to rip apart your motor just to change the rings?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. Run it any time you change plugs. Harbor freight tester works fine. Pull lanyard, throttle at wot and crank until it didn't go higher. Purge gauge and repeat at least one more time. I got 195, 100, 165, 215 so I'm tearing into the engine. Compression only takes maybe 5 minutes, might as well run it.