• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Running a 242 limited single engine?

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I am looking a a 2015 242 limited S. If i have one engine shut down or have an issue how far or fast can the boat run under single power and what issues could it cause? I ask because i plan on using it offshore a bit and thats why i want a twin engined jet boat.

Also anyone in the Tampa/ St pete are available to walk me around and show me the in and outs of the 2015?

The worry with single engine operation is backflow into the engine which could cause hydro-lock. If you must run on one engine it is advised to place the dead engine throttles in the forward position thus reducing back pressure with the gate being in the way and you can only run at no wake speeds. Now others on here have inserted a cut off valve on the intake water lines so you can cut the water flow to the dead engine and run faster. Another option is to carry a pair of hose clamp vice grips on the boat and you can clamp the hose shut with the pliers and run above no wake speed on one engine.

I have run full speed on one engine and idle on the other just to see what kind of performance you could achieve and I want to say you are limited to about 18 mph.

I personally would opt for the pliers. I think if you ever had any kind of warranty issue and you took the boat in and they discovered the tow valves you could potentially open yourself up for a loss of warranty. This is only my opinion and has not been verified by a dealer. Maybe someone has asked the dealer that has input???

Ok so just like a jetski works when towing. Are their two or one intake grates on the bottom?

Ok so just like a jetski works when towing. Are their two or one intake grates on the bottom?

There is an intake in each jet pump. Pliers are my preferred method....and I've never had to use them!

I put in valves. They were rather a pain. Getting the right size is difficult, and reaching down there is likely to tear your knuckles up...

Had I to do it over again, and given the number of times I have used them (never), I would go for the clamps or locking pliers.

Back