• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Running on one engine

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Owner of 2001 ls2000 and recently had to hobble in approximately 14mi on single engine. What action should I take, look for or expect before I perform Maintenance?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd pull the plugs make sure no water backed up to the engine incase you drove to fast.

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
We were at about 11mph and 5900 rpm. What would I be looking for? Should I pull the plugs and turn it over? Check oil for sludge?

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If no water, I dodged a bullet? WHat if water?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If no water, I dodged a bullet? WHat if water?
With the spark plugs out and the lanyard pulled turn over the engine to blow the water out through the plug holes.

Then I would guess that you would spray something like fogging oil into the cylinders.

Finally I would want to get her back on the water and run the engines to let the heat dry out any remaining water.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Id spray wd40 in each cylinder spin it over. Than spray again (wd40 is supposed to absorb water and lubricates). You should be fine. was it fresh or salt water? You can check oil it won't be milkey because you didn't run engine. Water will be on bottom of oil pan. If oil level is high could be sign of water in oil. But if no water in cylinders you should be ok. Other than what ever shut engine down in first place.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don’t have oil as this is a 2 stroke so disregard the part about checking for Milkey oil. I would take the plugs out, remove lanyard, and then turn overproduced engine to see if water comes out. Next I would get it on the water and run it for awhile. Did you figure out what is wrong with the engine that it wouldn’t start in the first place?

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Good info, very helpful. I’ll be back next weekend to tinker with it and get her up and running, meaning it’s been setting for about2 weeks. We were in fresh water on TRL.

Is it possible mixing a higher octane fuel with reg 89 O could cause the plugs to foul?

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I made it down, pulled the plugs and turned it over, no water, replaced the plugs and fuel filter, still doesn’t start. New problem during this, changed fuel filter on starboard engine and now can’t get fuel to filter. No issue with flow on port side.

Does the boat need to be in water to run? I was under the impression it did not need to be, just can’t run it long.

I’ve checked the lanyard for connection and the rear hatch switch. Could the rear hatch switch be defective and I not know it?

Any advice?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jdjetboater you can run your boat out of the water as long as you have a hose attached to the flush port of the motor you're going to run. Be careful not to leave a hose running on a motor that's not running. Remember Motor on, then water on. Water off, then motor off.

With regard to your inoperable motor. Does it crank when you turn the key? Do you get just a clicking sound when you turn the key? Does the other motor start right up? How long have you owned this boat?

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Both motors crank and right now neither will start up. Previously the sbd eng was fine, now no fuel with change of filter. Port just shut down last time in water, had to wake spd home on sbd. First year of owning and has performed well when running.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would dbl check you actually have gas in the tank. If you do sounds like fuel pump might be bad. If engines aren't getting fuel they aren't going to run.

jdjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Amount of gas did cross my mind but I’m getting fuel through the strbd side. Only one fuel pump, correct?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both motors crank and right now neither will start up. Previously the sbd eng was fine, now no fuel with change of filter. Port just shut down last time in water, had to wake spd home on sbd. First year of owning and has performed well when running.
Whereas both motors crank your rear hatch switches are ok. You should check your lanyard switch. On older boats the plastic clip or the switch itself may be worn. Try shimming it up a little higher. If still no start you should check for spark at each plug.

Last edited:

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can start the engine without water for a short period as long as the engine is cold.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
- see if you have spark at the plug using a spark (plug) tester - cut the problem in 1/3
- then you need to see if you have fuel - you can remove the spark arrestor on top of the carbs and shoot in some starter fluid but I would use something intended for 2 strokes