• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rust stains on Gelcoat gone in about 10 seconds

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found this on my travels and for about 50 cents thought i would give it a try, Just use a very lightly damp cloth and rub gently and rust stains just disappear, First time I've ever seen it maybe some of you have seen it before, After applying it just wipe it off and apply a light polish, Job done, Oh it works good on the seats etc also.

IMG_20161009_130913.jpg IMG_20161009_130913_1.jpg

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @Geoff Cooper I know this is a super old thread, but this works great on the gel coat and the vinyl? I was just going to start a new thread and seen this one. Can anybody else chime in that has a good way to remove rust stains. I’ve never heard of this stuff, and probably not available in Hawaii lol, but I’ll give it a look. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.🤙🏽

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For rust you’ll need an acid based cleaner. I’d start with vinegar, then work my way up to CLR and then different gentle acids like citric. On gel coat acid shouldn’t hurt the finish if you rinse it off promptly, but I’d test an inconspicuous area first.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For rust you’ll need an acid based cleaner. I’d start with vinegar, then work my way up to CLR and then different gentle acids like citric. On gel coat acid shouldn’t hurt the finish if you rinse it off promptly, but I’d test an inconspicuous area first.
Aloha @Dixie Highway I tried magic eraser, CLR, 409, Simple Green, and even Just Dawn Soap and elbow grease. It seams to go away mostly but I still see a slight orange haze. It’s from rust under my captains chair wires underneath. I guess from the saltwater use and me sitting on it with the bolster up and in a soaked wetsuit, the saltwater runs onto the wires underneath. And even though I wash it and rinse it good when washing boat it still rusted. Now I have it dripping rusty water onto the deck of boat and staining the gel coat😞.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Aloha! I sometimes also have luck with Barkeeper’s Friend, but it’s pretty abrasive stuff. If the floor is nonskid pattern, you might have good luck with this and a toothbrush. If the gelcoat is too porous you may have to go to straight citric acid or the like.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha! I sometimes also have luck with Barkeeper’s Friend, but it’s pretty abrasive stuff. If the floor is nonskid pattern, you might have good luck with this and a toothbrush. If the gelcoat is too porous you may have to go to straight citric acid or the like.
Mahalo(thank u) @Dixie Highway I’ll try that.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha @Geoff Cooper I know this is a super old thread, but this works great on the gel coat and the vinyl? I was just going to start a new thread and seen this one. Can anybody else chime in that has a good way to remove rust stains. I’ve never heard of this stuff, and probably not available in Hawaii lol, but I’ll give it a look. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.🤙🏽
Anything with oxalic acid.

Nothing works better while being safe.

--

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anything with oxalic acid.

Nothing works better while being safe.

--
Aloha my brother @swatski I knew u would chime in with ur wisdom. Do u have an example of a product that has this in it?

Mahalo,

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha my brother @swatski I knew u would chime in with ur wisdom. Do u have an example of a product that has this in it?

Mahalo,
STarbrite is good for the hull. Barkeepers friend is the bomb.

But you can make your own, buy it in bulk, cheaply:

--

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
STarbrite is good for the hull. Barkeepers friend is the bomb.

But you can make your own, buy it in bulk, cheaply:

--
Ok I’ll get me some of that, what do u think I can do about the captain seat. Would I need to sand it all down and paint it? Figure if I can get rid of the cause of the rust stains would be best. Does anybody else have this problem.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok I’ll get me some of that, what do u think I can do about the captain seat. Would I need to sand it all down and paint it? Figure if I can get rid of the cause of the rust stains would be best. Does anybody else have this problem.
If you can;t get those out with oxalic acid cleaner right away I would leave it on maybe a bit longer, but that maybe too much, and then soak in 303AP. I don't know if I would go any further, once you bleach you open more pores and weaken the material, especially seams.

--

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If you can;t get those out with oxalic acid cleaner right away I would leave it on maybe a bit longer, but that maybe too much, and then soak in 303AP. I don't know if I would go any further, once you bleach you open more pores and weaken the material, especially seams.

--
At that point let the sun take care of it. I swear enough time in the sun and any stain will go away.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi

I only use this and i believe it's available on Ebay and Amazon, Several members have found it on these websites it's clean and easy to use and very very cheap, Good luck and if you have problems getting it let me know i will arrange to send you some.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi

I only use this and i believe it's available on Ebay and Amazon, Several members have found it on these websites it's clean and easy to use and very very cheap, Good luck and if you have problems getting it let me know i will arrange to send you some.
A lot of supermarkets stock it also, I found it in Vietnam Philippeans it should be available in most Supermarkets, Keep me posted it's easy to use and doesn't damage anything, It's a highly concentrated soap for washing dishes.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A lot of supermarkets stock it also, I found it in Vietnam Philippeans it should be available in most Supermarkets, Keep me posted it's easy to use and doesn't damage anything, It's a highly concentrated soap for washing dishes, This is the same product under a different name.
20190806_132555.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

And for those black streaks.

These work well also. FSR is what we used to clean up the sailboat. You may need to paint the springs.

Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@rkim808 we may have glossed over the root cause of the staining, which is mild steel in the seat itself? If I understand correctly it sounds like the seat springs are steel?

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rkim808 we may have glossed over the root cause of the staining, which is mild steel in the seat itself? If I understand correctly it sounds like the seat springs are steel?
Yes yes @Dixie Highway I’m going to remove the seats and sand down the springs and spray them with some paint. Don’t know what kind yet but some type of rust resistant paint. I’ve been holding off the SeaDek install cause don’t want that to get stained either. Then clean and remove rust stains on the deck gel coat, install Seadek and chairs. Well that’s the plan...🤙🏽