• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Salt Water

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So we have a trip planned for Destin and we are bringing our boat...everyone we tell asks "Are you sure you want to put it in salt?!?". The response I have is:

1. Our boat is intercooled
2. Why have a boat if you ain't gonna use it

So the question I have is what do you really do when you connect the hose to the port in the back to run the engine when out of water? I have had the boat for a year and never really thought to pose the question....I am a huge proponent of knowing why you do something. Lastly, are there any good links on jet boat engines?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The salt can still deteriorate things. Flushing will keep from any oxidation and debris from being stuck in the cooling plate. Also rinse off any metal in the boat hecause even stainless can rust over time. Don't be afraid to go out there by any means. In fact I think your boat is more well equipped than the yamahas forsalt water use.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in Destin and boat almost every weekend. Like @Speedling said just rinse the boat real good after with soap and water.

As far as flushing the engines, your boat is a little different than mine. But you'll be flushing out your exhaust,

Not sure when you're coming down but water and weather has been great here.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also I believe @ScarabMike is in salt water and can offer advice on your boat. If he's not, oops

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. We are super excited to bring it down for our annual Destin trip. @ToddW850 we will be going down in October for my 40th so I hope the weather keeps until then ha ha. I told somebody the other day I am more worried about my amps in the salt environment than my engine....ha ha.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joseph Baxter You will be perfectly fine in the salt. Just buy some CRC 6-56 and spray your engine thoroughly, and your pump. Give them a good bath in it. When you get to where you can flush the engine, flush it for about 5 minutes, and crc the pump again. The key is the pump, impeller, and reverse bucket linkages. When you get home, salt away, and regular maintenance after that. I ran mine in the salt water for 6 months, and my engine is as clean as new, and I have no rust or corrosion anywhere.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's the trailer you have to worry more about. Is it painted steel, galvanized steel or aluminum?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. We are super excited to bring it down for our annual Destin trip. @ToddW850 we will be going down in October for my 40th so I hope the weather keeps until then ha ha. I told somebody the other day I am more worried about my amps in the salt environment than my engine....ha ha.

Right on. October is a great month. The weather is still nice and we are no where near crowded with tourist. We're still boating in October so hopefully we'll cross lines.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Big Shasta I do have the painted as opposed to the galvanized so I am going to take extra care for it. @ToddW850.....our anniversary is in Labor Day weekend time and we go down every year....it is crazy how vacated it is after the holiday. Definitely have to let you know when we are down. Got another buddy down there that's in the community and we are going to meet up so we might have to all hook up at Crab Island. I grew up on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi and owned a jet ski but never a boat. But I have never heard so much fear from people about having something in salt water. I know the environment can take its toll but these people I talk to tremble at the sound of salt water......No Fear here....Thanks to all for the responses!

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I pretty much only run salt water the past couple years. Boston Harbor.
  • Fresh water rinse all over the boat and trailer (knocks the heavy salt off)
  • Engine flush with fresh water
  • Engine flush with Salt Away
  • Garden hose Quick Disconnect to make life easier
  • Copious Salt Away all over the boat and trailer (mine's painted too, doh!)
  • Final fresh water rinse all over
For the engine flush, I disconnect hose, keep the engine running for a moment to expel the SA solution, then just turn it off. Supposedly leaves a protective coating of SA in there.

That's my routine after each outing, for what it's worth.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Big Shasta I do have the painted as opposed to the galvanized so I am going to take extra care for it. @ToddW850.....our anniversary is in Labor Day weekend time and we go down every year....it is crazy how vacated it is after the holiday. Definitely have to let you know when we are down. Got another buddy down there that's in the community and we are going to meet up so we might have to all hook up at Crab Island. I grew up on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi and owned a jet ski but never a boat. But I have never heard so much fear from people about having something in salt water. I know the environment can take its toll but these people I talk to tremble at the sound of salt water......No Fear here....Thanks to all for the responses!
Spent a lot of time rinsing that trailer, it should be your biggest concern. The problem with the painted trailers is the inside of the tubing (unpainted steel) where you can't get all the salt out. Hopefully you have some openings to get fresh water inside it. Check around and see if any marinas in that area will pick your boat off the trailer and forklift launch it for you.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hmmm @Big Shasta....never thought about that.....I am sure it will come at a cost but probably worth it considering the toll it would take on the trailer. Thanks again!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another alternative is to dip the trailer in a fresh water lake on the way home or as soon as possible after it's been. In salt water.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Along with what everyone else had said I purchased a hand pump from Home Depot. I put salt away solution and as soon as I put boat in water I spray the he'll out of my entire trailer.
Also get a grease gun for your bearings (harbour freight )...buy the good grease...I grease mine every other time.
Definitely spray what Mike said. Get a good film all over your engine compartment. Like a good mist. All that linkage in the rear, underneath your chairs, engine compartment latches. I sprayed all my break lines trailer and Tundra. Buy 4 cans you will need it.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Oh and ACF 50 I love. I have used this crap on everything from motorcycle, airplanes and boats. You can spray this stuff right on your electronics.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks @PapaBear! All good suggestions. The place we are renting has a lift so I assume use it as opposed to letting it sit all night in salt.....So to recap:

- CRC 6-56 spray on all over engine, pump, impeller and reverse bucket linkages (@ScarabMike considering I am still semi-new what is the pump and where is it located....I wish I had a site that went over all of these things unless it is in the manual)

- When removed and can flush....flush engine for 5 minutes and crc the engine, pump, impeller and reverse bucket linkages again

- Upon return home, Salt-Away and regular maintenance

I will be sure to spend a lot of effort on the trailer as well. Thanks again for all the tips as I will surely tap into all of them.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @PapaBear! All good suggestions. The place we are renting has a lift so I assume use it as opposed to letting it sit all night in salt.....So to recap:

- CRC 6-56 spray on all over engine, pump, impeller and reverse bucket linkages (@ScarabMike considering I am still semi-new what is the pump and where is it located....I wish I had a site that went over all of these things unless it is in the manual)

- When removed and can flush....flush engine for 5 minutes and crc the engine, pump, impeller and reverse bucket linkages again

- Upon return home, Salt-Away and regular maintenance

I will be sure to spend a lot of effort on the trailer as well. Thanks again for all the tips as I will surely tap into all of them.
The "pump" is just your impeller housings, basically all the aluminum that sticks out the back. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Joseph Baxter You will be perfectly fine in the salt. Just buy some CRC 6-56 and spray your engine thoroughly, and your pump. Give them a good bath in it. When you get to where you can flush the engine, flush it for about 5 minutes, and crc the pump again. The key is the pump, impeller, and reverse bucket linkages. When you get home, salt away, and regular maintenance after that. I ran mine in the salt water for 6 months, and my engine is as clean as new, and I have no rust or corrosion anywhere.

What's the longest you'd leave a Scarab in salt water between flushes?

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Great idea using CRC 6-56 as a spray down protector. From the mfg specs it appears to be similar to WD-40. Any pro or cons in using WD-40 instead of CRC 6-56?

Thanks