• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saltwater Boats...Keep an Extra Eye Out

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I boat in saltwater in the Florida Panhandle. It is what it is. It doesn't bother me and I'm religious about washing my boat down after every use.

I change my plugs, oil, and oil filters at the beginning of every season. Except last year, I skipped the oil filter. Book says every other year...

Anyway, took the boat out Thursday and ran GREAT. Got home to clean and BAM! Oil in my bilge. I was a bit freaked. But neither engine oil level was much below full. HEAD SCRATCHER! Long story short, my port side oil filter has been rusting and began to fail. Of course its the one you can't see real well. Thank God it wasn't engine related. Now my bilge got an extra good cleaning.

So make sure if you boat in saltwater to take an occasional peek at your filters. Also keep an eye on your SS Clamps under the swim platform. I spray the heck out of them.

Screenshot_20180425-202414.png Screenshot_20180424-172612.png Screenshot_20180425-202452.png
IMG_3035.PNG IMG_3034.JPG

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yuk, but at least it was a simple fix.

I aways change the filter, for the money it cost it aint worth the risk

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
wow ! THATS alot of rust AND alot of oil....

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I boat in saltwater in the Florida Panhandle. It is what it is. It doesn't bother me and I'm religious about washing my boat down after every use.

I change my plugs, oil, and oil filters at the beginning of every season. Except last year, I skipped the oil filter. Book says every other year...

Anyway, took the boat out Thursday and ran GREAT. Got home to clean and BAM! Oil in my bilge. I was a bit freaked. But neither engine oil level was much below full. HEAD SCRATCHER! Long story short, my port side oil filter has been rusting and began to fail. Of course its the one you can't see real well. Thank God it wasn't engine related. Now my bilge got an extra good cleaning.

So make sure if you boat in saltwater to take an occasional peek at your filters. Also keep an eye on your SS Clamps under the swim platform. I spray the heck out of them.

View attachment 72953 View attachment 72954 View attachment 72955
View attachment 72956 View attachment 72957
You need to spray that entire engine area down with some T-9. That will protect it from any corrosion. I only boat in the Gulf and I've done this with every boat that I've owned and the engines were immaculate.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hate to point it out, but part oft he blame is on this shitty (new-ish) Yamaha oil filter, a FRAM-like POS. Those used to be made in Japan, solid and filled with fleece like media. The newer ones are so thin you can bend those with your fingers and the media is paper.

I've switched to (stupid) amsoil filters for that reason, as those are actually built super solid, it is hard to puncture them. I think @ISLANDRACING did a comparison cutting a bunch of those open. Filtration wise - most filters will do these days, kind of like with engine oil - most brands will do fine, but the water/salt environment calls for filters w/ a solid can. Unfortunately, the new Yamaha filters are just inferior.

--

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hate to point it out, but part oft he blame is on this shitty (new-ish) Yamaha oil filter, a FRAM-like POS. Those used to be made in Japan, solid and filled with fleece like media. The newer ones are so thin you can bend those with your fingers and the media is paper.

I've switched to (stupid) amsoil filters for that reason, as those are actually built super solid, it is hard to puncture them. I think @ISLANDRACING did a comparison cutting a bunch of those open. Filtration wise - most filters will do these days, kind of like with engine oil - most brands will do fine, but the water/salt environment calls for filters w/ a solid can. Unfortunately, the new Yamaha filters are just inferior.

--

On this oil and filter change, I installed the K&N 303. I again sprayed the crap out of it, so hopefully it works out better. Thanks

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The K&N's are nice as they have a 17mm nut on the end that makes it easy to tighten/loosen the filter.
Always change the filter when doing an oil change.

-Greg

Scott - Hilton Head

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my 2013 Yamaha SX-210 in for service and they did a water test after work was completed. They said the intake water passages were clogged causing the engines to overheat quickly. The repair center (Authorized) has given me a quote for $3200 to remove both engines, remove exhaust heads and clean each passage by drilling out each passage (carefully) and then flushing remainder to clear - then reassembling. Other option they say is to replace both engines at $10K per plus 8 hours labor. Clearly not an option for me?!?! Is there an easy way to remove built up sand/salt myself? If not, is this estimate reasonable or should I have work completed elsewhere? Thanks very much.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scott - Hilton Head This question should be asked in a new thread... maybe one of the admins can move it.

Were you having a problem with the engines overheating? Do you see water coming out of the pissers at 6k+ RPM? (The two water exits on the starboard side of the boat, in the rear.)

-Greg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had my 2013 Yamaha SX-210 in for service and they did a water test after work was completed. They said the intake water passages were clogged causing the engines to overheat quickly. The repair center (Authorized) has given me a quote for $3200 to remove both engines, remove exhaust heads and clean each passage by drilling out each passage (carefully) and then flushing remainder to clear - then reassembling. Other option they say is to replace both engines at $10K per plus 8 hours labor. Clearly not an option for me?!?! Is there an easy way to remove built up sand/salt myself? If not, is this estimate reasonable or should I have work completed elsewhere? Thanks very much.
There was a thread by @CrankyGypsy on flushing the cooling system with excessive build up - I'll try to locate it.

Also @buckbuck knows more than anyone about the MR-1 cooling system, maybe he can chime in.

I agree you would be better served posting these questions in a new thread!

--

Scott - Hilton Head

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scott - Hilton Head This question should be asked in a new thread... maybe one of the admins can move it.

Were you having a problem with the engines overheating? Do you see water coming out of the pissers at 6k+ RPM? (The two water exits on the starboard side of the boat, in the rear.)

-Greg
Thanks so much for the reply - first time using this site but find myself spending hours reading all the info when I really should be working?!?! The boat sat for 4 months then I took to the repair center for repairs that I knew I needed. They have had it for 3 months now, so not very pleased to say the least. The last time I used, it ran fine and no overheating - water did come out the starboard side pissers as you note. I took your advice and did create a new thread in hopes of more advice on how to handle this repair.