• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Same pump on what Jetski? - Looking at bearings

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I'm thinking having some bearings on hand for my SX230 would not hurt, as I plan to pull them before season starts and they were noisy last year.

I'm looking at the WSM kits but I'm having a hard time finding a perfect match to all the seal and bearing part numbers from Yamaha.

Is there a Jet Sky that shares our pump parts? That might help me correctly select the bearing kit.

For those that have replaced the bearings, Did you buy bearing, seals and o-rings individually or as a kit?

Thanks!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you checked yamahasportsplaza.com based in Seattle?
I would not replace those bearings with used ones, especially from a pwc, which tend to get beat up a lot, but maybe that is just me.

Not sure about the pump but for what it’s worth the 2003 to 200x fx cruisers and non cruisers use the same engine and have the same impeller size as yamaha 230 series boats of the same years. the fx 160 high output waverunners use the same engine as the 230 ho series boats.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, this was very helpful. Thanks for the warning on used parts. With this being a wear item I agree it's not a good idea. I was looking at Aftermarket options, hence my interest in a matching jetski, since these kits are more geared to them based on volume produced. I checked the OEM diagrams and the relevant parts are the same for the2008SX230 and the 2008 FX HO (Seals, Bearings,spacer,shaft,oring) so it seems a kit made for the FXHO pump would work on the SX230.The parts don't seem unreasonably priced and OEM has lasted this long, I may just go OEM unless I find a very good reason to try something else.

Thanks for the help!!! Much appreciated.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do not know why you would want to have a spare set of bearings on hand .
If you are planning to change them out on the water or at the boat ramp you may want to reconsider , it is not something that is easily done.
When I rode SEA DOO 4 tec skies I always carried a complete spare jet pump in my tow vehicle because I hated the sea doo pumps and the single angle bearing setup.
Water often entered the bearings so I had a spare that I could just swap out on the ramp and I needed it numerous times.
However after swapping to Yamaha I put over 600 hours on my pumps with no bearing issues and if you hear noise it is most likely the wear ring getting bulges in it that are contacting the impeller, this can get pretty loud and have a metallic ringing sound.
It will be louder at the beginning of the day and quiet down during use as the impeller wears down the high spots .
If you want to know if the impeller is hitting the wear ring, just spray some w d 40 in the pump on the liner and see if it makes a big difference in the noise level if so you have a swollen pump liner . If the liner is really swollen it can drag you down while trying to start the engine the first time of the day, again spraying some oil in there will reduce the resistance and make starting the engine a lot easier. I have actually known people sell skies because they thought the engine was seized only to learn later that the only issue was the pump was locked up from bulging in the liner.
I have never owned a Yamaha that did not need to have the liner replaced after a few years of salt water use.
I would guess fresh water would take longer to swell the liner but I only run in salt.
Also I ALWAYS add ZINC to my pump areas and ride plates to slow down the bi metallic corrosion between the stainless liner and the cast aluminum housing. So perhaps this is the reason your pump is getting loud it is usually the case.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for that. The boat is a 2008, (new to me oct 16) but it only goes up to 44mph, so I suspect a dinged impeller, missing sealant on pump, and maybe worn out bearings (based on noise and age)

It revs to 10k+ no problem.

The boat is on a lift so I'm waiting for the right temperature to pull the pump and see what's going on. For sure sealant is an issue as I've managed to pull loose pieces via the clean out plug.

On your advice i will wait to order any parts until after I pull the pump and find out what's going on.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like a good idea