• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

San Juan Islands

Pbirbeck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking to see if anyone has done the San Jaun Islands in Washington in their Boat. I have not put the boat in salt water yet and am looking for destination ideas within the San Jauns, route from Anacortes, Seattle, or even Olympia. We are thinking of doing this with our family in July. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

I will be watching this thread with interest. I love the PNW and always thought the size of boat would have to be significant to meet the challenges of cruising those waters. But I am sure it is manageable. My concerns would be similar to Bimini. Changing weather can present challenges I am sure, as will changing water conditions. You guys boating up there have a better feel for all of that than me, so I will be interested to hear what you do with your boats in that environment. I would think in an open bow boat, picking good destinations and routes would be fun, but just touring like in a live aboard or cruiser? I don't know, and I certainly don't know all that the area has to offer, so ya'll fill up this thread!

As a kid I remember helping move a ski boat from Anacortes to Orcas island for Fourth of July weekend. It allowed us day trips to San Juan Island and Friday harbor, as well a general sightseeing in the area. We were also brave enough to water ski and I remember it being DAMN cold.

Tides would be my first concern. Second would be wakes from the larger ships in the channel. We ended up staying at a lodge that had moorings so tying up overnight was a piece of cake and tides were not an issue. Of course, it rained a few times when when were up there, so you'd want to make sure you can get your cover on.

I don't know what it takes to get to Victoria. Looks to be a fair amount of open water that could get very rough if it gets windy. I wonder if you have to check in with customs?

Last time I was out that way (2006, before I bought my Yamaha), I made note of some heavy chop in many locations.
A lot of ferry wakes, plus wind, etc, not only seemed have to heavy chop at times, but very confused seas.
I am sure small craft can be successfully piloted there, but I expect it is a challenge and takes specific prep and knowledge.
Hopefully a local Yammie owner will chime in.

I used to go up there all the time as a kid with my parents on our 19-25' cabin cruisers. Definitely watch the weather and the tides...it can swing up to 10' per cycle. The best time of year up there used to be late July-Early August. The water is cold for sure. You'll also want to trailer up to Anacortes and put in from there...as it's a long way by water from Seattle.

Some places you'll definitely want to hit are Friday Harbor and Roche harbor on San Juan Island. Also check out some of the state parks that are only available by boat: Stuart, Jones, Sucia Islands to name a few.

Enjoy!

Back