• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sank my boat....

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bad news... A few friends and I were out on the CT river a couple weeks ago. We were cruising along about 30- 35mph and hit what felt like a sandbar and the time. The boat jerked a little and slowed a bit but otherwise kept going. I figured it would leave a mark but we could worry about it later. Roughly 5- 10 minutes later we stopped to swim for a few minutes. As I was swimming up to the back of the boat, we noticed the swim platform was about an inch under water and the bilge was pumping. My buddy reached under to feel the plug and realized the plug was gone. We yelled to my brother to start the boat to get it moving again to try and get the water moving out. The engines cranked a few times and then died. What we didn't realize at the time was that the motors were already under water. We immediately put life jackets on and started swimming and pushing the boat to shore. We got it to the point where we could walk with the boat and started walking it back to the boat ramp. I called some friends who came out and towed us back in. I learned that these boats are hard to sink. They seem to hit a point where they are neutrally buoyant. There was about 1/2 of water in the main cabin and it never went higher than that. Another thing I learned... I'm not sure what the drain plug is for in the engine compartment. The floor of the engine compartment doesn't connect to the transom... the engine compartment looks like it would've filled with water with or without the drain plug.

The hole is roughly 13' long, the entire keel is pretty much ground off of the boat. The articulating keel is gone. The pumps must've sucked up some rocks and they're damaged. I would be surprised if the motors aren't hydro locked. God knows what might have happened to the electronics.

I'm really bummed but glad no one got hurt. I'm thinking the boat is going to be totaled. I'm still shocked at the damage that was done and how it really didn't feel like a big deal when it happened. 20150908_135631.jpg 20150908_135540.jpg 20150904_093543.jpg 20150904_093538.jpg 20150903_164747.jpg The boat surveyor hasn't completed his estimate yet but thinks the fiberglass work alone on the bottom will cost in the vicinity of 40k. My question is if they try and fix, will the repair be safe? Any of you fiberglass guys have any input on what that repair would consist of or if it can be safely done?20150903_164747.jpg 20150904_093538.jpg

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
HOLY SMOKES!!! Hate to hear that for you.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap? When did this happen? Where on the river? I know its real low right now but I cant see a sand bar doing that, I'm thinking a submerged log or rock stuck in the sand. I'm going out sunday and want to make sure I'm not in that same area. I have seen some huge logs sticking out of the water in places.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$40,000???! I could have a custom 40' boat hull made for that. I really hope that's a typo and its $4,000 in hull repairs. That would be more in the ballpark. I would be more worried about the motors.... They need to be cleared of water and ran like yesterday!

From the pics, it doesn't look too bad. A skilled fiberglass guy can repair this and be good as new when done.

Did the surveyor mention of the stringers/ structural members were damaged?

Got better wider shots of the damage?

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Holy Crap - I just got sick looking at these pictures.
I feel for you!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow....that totally sucks! I hope to heck the boat is totalled! Not sure you would want it if it is fixed. As for your questions, I'm sure they can fix the fiberglass without too much of a challenge, I'd be more concerned about the engines and electronics. I wonder what the heck you hit?

Hoping the best for you!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow man. When I saw the title I was hoping for a joke or a gif or a toy boat or something. I guess the keel may not have paid off in this one random situation? I was afraid of something happening to the keel for those that beach it, but that really sucks!

Matty Slice

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry man. That sucks...

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Very sorry to hear about this damage. Did the articulating keel make the damage worse? Just wondering

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch! That is a crazy amount of damage!

I believe that our boats are built with a legally required amount of flotation so that they do not sink.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WOW! So sorry to hear about your misfortune. I sure hope your insurance takes care of you in the best way possible.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy shit! That's truly mind blowing that what you thought was just a sand bar, but was obviously something more sinister, can do such damage.
Glad all your party were ok, I'd be gutted, hope your insurance looks after you.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to see this happen to you. I hope the end results with insurance work in your favor. Good luck.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dang! That is unbelievable! Very sorry that happened to you. :(

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the keel take part of the port nozzle with it or did the heim joint come apart?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wow, that's nasty. Sorry to see it.

For a reference,

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about the wreck but great to hear that you were close to the shore and everyone was okay. I hope the insurance pans out and you get the boat/engines completely replaced.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am glad everyone is safe. That is so hard to believe the amount of damage and yet clearly didn't seem to be a big deal when you hit it. I am sure the insurance will take care of this for you. Again glad everyone is OK and it is near the end of the season so you have some time to get this all worked out. I would be dying.​