• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saturn SKY Redline barnyard find

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember seeing a posting about a modified Saturn SKY that a member stuffed a V8 into. For the life of me I can't find the post, unless im confusing forums with another one...
I just came across a 2007 Saturn SKY Redline Roadster that's sitting in a barnyard with a bad transmission and broken AC, and will soon get scrapped. The guy who knows them looked over the car, it seemed pretty clean. The guy told him to give him $3k for it, which means to me $2k gets it. (172K miles on it).
Any advice?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't look like a redline to me. Missing the badge anyway. Any shots of the engine bay to confirm? I also think the redlines only came with a manual, but I could be wrong on that. I would definitely check, as what the pictures show are the slowest N/A 4cyl/Auto combo. Not a bad car, just not a Redline.

For $2k I would pick that up in a heartbeat (in fact, where are you located?). The transmission appears to be an automatic, and I would either swap to a manual, or just simply swap in a good one.

That chassis is excellent. Grassroots Motorsports magazine did a comparison between a stock '06 MX5 Miata, a stock '06 Solstice (same chassis as Sky), and a race prepped '99 Miata. The Solstice was only 3 seconds behind the race prepped Miata, and beat the stock miata by 4 seconds on a 36sec course. Really cool cars IMO.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm in Augusta, It's about 3 towns over from me which is about an hours drive. I may try to get out to see it first hand. I too noticed that the seats don't have the redline embroidery, the front lights are wrong and the badging is missing from the rear. Doesn't appear to be a turbo because there's no badge for that either. Maybe the red interior got lost in translation?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I give up... I could never complete a job like that. Don't have the space, the tools, the know-how. Super impressed by people like him who do!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it was a red line it’s worth it but I would just fix it with the turbo engine. Since it looks to not be a red line I would likely pass or low ball the heck out of him at like $1000 and pay @veedubtek to source a v8 engine and tranny and do the swap. I literally just bought my wife a toy car a 2007 Miata a few days ago I’m Toying with adding a supercharger or a turbo to make it a fun car.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Diesel/manual swap all day. Cool cars, can be highly competitive in the auto-x world. An easier to live with Miata really.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Diesel/manual swap all day. Cool cars, can be highly competitive in the auto-x world. An easier to live with Miata really.
Ok after seeing that video of the v8 swap being driven I now want one. @veedubtek what are we looking at to pull this off can it be done for $20k

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This car reminds me of a Honda s2000. A buddy used to have a s2000, and it was a fun car.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think we need @gmtech16450yz to chime in. Looked like a ton of custom work, not only for gauges, for everything to come together.

Last edited: