• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Saving for college questions

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any financial planners or tax guru's that can answer a few questions about saving for college. I came across this today and it just got me thinking wow I have not started a college fund for our kids yet. Luckily Jerry's parents started them for our kids when they were born buying CD's every year instead of big gifts at birthday's and xmas. Figured we need to start better late then never just wondered what other people were doing.

ThanksScreenshot_2017-09-05-20-41-15.png

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it a 529? If so that what we do as well

Just saw at the top it is a 529.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@djetok so my daughter's are 13 and 9

How long have you been doing this ? My question would mainly be was is the safest option or should I take a risk on picking what option to invest in ? We pay quite a bit in taxes at the end of the year didn't know if putting more money into something like this would also benefit us at tax time like my 401K does.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since 8 and 10. But never too late to start. I am not a tax guru but my best friend is and he is who I use. He's in kc

I would definitely seek an accountants advice. Someone you trust

It does defer taxes for us. Like you we pay a ton in taxes so we look for any way that we use it for another purpose.

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use a 529 in Illinois, I'm not in finance but from a consumer's perspective it seems to be run a lot like our 401k and IRA plans. My plan administrator gave investment options based on risk level (on a scale of risk adverse to aggressive) and also offers a target plan that adjusts every year based on the child's age and when you expect to use it. Grandparents (and I'm assuming other relatives) can also contribute to the plan.

You should check the rules for your state, but in general I think most allow you to use them for valid education expenses of your children, yourself, or even other relatives - a nice way to utilize the funds if your kids luck into those elusive "free rides" or more affordable colleges than you expected.

As far as taxes, I believe the breaks are limited to your state income taxes, unlike 401k/IRA which gives you a break on federal. When I set ours up a few years ago, you could actually set up your plan in another state. You might consider this if you're not planning on taking advantage of whatever your state plan might offer for locking in low tuition at state run schools. From what I understand, this is mainly useful if you're in a state with a low income tax rate (some have none!), but a relative (usually grandparent) who lives in another state who wants to contribute and would benefit from having the plan in their state and getting the tax break. At the time there was also some advice about picking a plan from a state who offered plans with lower administration fees, but now with the popularity of index funds I think that might be less of an issue.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We've had a 529 for our daughter since she was 6 or so. From a tax perspective it makes the most sense. If she decides not to go to college we can use it on ourselves, other family members, or withdraw it with a penalty to pay the defense fees I'll need after they "why the f aren't you going discussion goes south!" LOL

It is freakin crazy how much a year of college costs now! My alma mater would be approx 61K per YEAR.....

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We've had a 529 for our daughter since she was 6 or so. From a tax perspective it makes the most sense. If she decides not to go to college we can use it on ourselves, other family members, or withdraw it with a penalty to pay the defense fees I'll need after they "why the f aren't you going discussion goes south!" LOL

It is freakin crazy how much a year of college costs now! My alma mater would be approx 61K per YEAR.....
Yep we a 18 yo. She is now in her 3rd semester of college. It's not cheap.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My company gives me stock options and I can also purchase stock quarterly at a 25% discounted rate which I started adding money to when my daughter was 1 year old. I consider this all her money if she chooses to go to college as long as its not Clemson as I refuse to give them a dime lol. IF something happens and she chooses not to it is a new boat fund. Many states all do a pre pay program where you can pay for college for you kid up front and by the time they are ready the cost is covered but this is usually limited to them having to go to an instate school which is the only reason I have hesitated in doing it. I figure with the stocks she can use it at any school she chooses and for other costs and I get an immediate 25% return on my money for her. Only taxes that will be paid when this is puled out is on the gains as I pay income tax on the rest upfront. Not saying this is the best plan but I started so early that I have not had to contribute huge amounts to have a fair amount of money in there by the time she is ready. I have only been putting $100 a week in since she was one and she is now 9 it adds up fast especially with the stock gains over the last few years.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
529 is great if they want to go to college, if they don't then use the money to support their goals. IMO in today's day and age a college degree is waste of money. Great if you have it saved up over 15 years or if you can work for a company that pays for it but if not - really no point. I wish I never went and now I'm stuck with a ton of student loans. I could have gotten to where I am at without college degree, and also have acquired a skill set where I could start my own business. Maybe it's just my perception but I know too many people that are self-made, or got a job with a good company at 16 and now have a net worth over 500k before turning 30. - Coming from a guy almost done with his MBA lol (work paid for this degree)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
529 is great if they want to go to college, if they don't then use the money to support their goals. IMO in today's day and age a college degree is waste of money. Great if you have it saved up over 15 years or if you can work for a company that pays for it but if not - really no point. I wish I never went and now I'm stuck with a ton of student loans. I could have gotten to where I am at without college degree, and also have acquired a skill set where I could start my own business. Maybe it's just my perception but I know too many people that are self-made, or got a job with a good company at 16 and now have a net worth over 500k before turning 30. - Coming from a guy almost done with his MBA lol (work paid for this degree)
Born into poverty, no degree, made my first $1M by 32 . . . . College isn't for everyone. That said, local community/state colleges are generally a much cheaper option. I will not allow my kids to go into debt for a degree. Too many of my Dr./Lawyer friends are still clawing their way out while I'm living life.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree. It really depends on what you are getting your degree in and where you plan on going. People need to make some tough decisions that older generations didn't. It doesn't make sense to carry 100k in loans if you are going to be a teacher. Choose a cheaper school unless you want to live in an apartment your whole life.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am about 8 months away from paying my student loans off so very excited about that !

My daughter is already starting to plan to try and graduate high school a year early so she can start her general courses at the local college that is really reasonable on the budget. I told her experience is the key so get in with Jerry and learn anything you can about engineering before college even begins. I do not believe in taking on my kids debt for college but I can be there for a portion. I never had any help with anything so I believe in being self made and working hard to have what you want in life.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We opened a 529 when my son was 4 or 5, he is almost 15 now and a sophomore in high school. I've been contributing $100 to $200 every paycheck since and we put almost all of the gift money he gets at Christmas and birthdays into his account as well. Even though it is now a considerable sum of money I can tell is not going to be enough to cover more than 2 of 4 years at a CA state or university school and prices seem to increase every year.

I think the best savings plan I've seen is the one a coworker of mine has. When she got married she and her husband both had homes. They moved into one and have been Renting the other to cover the mortgage on it. When her kids reach college age she plans to sell the rental home to fund it. I thought it was crazy at the time but after seeing how much the home's value has increased in the past 12 years I have to admit her plan is better than mine, by a lot $$$.

I've got three degrees and only took out student loans for one of them. Summary: left law school with $99k in debt, paid $1k per month for 5 years (about $60k), went to pay it off early by over 20 years and was told the balance was $120k. That being the case We already know that we don't want our son to have any student if there is anyway to avoid it, part of it is being realistic in the college he may go to. We have to keep him in a CA school to keep the tuition and travel costs down, so forget about Ivy League or instate private schools like Stanford, USC, etc.

For us it is not a question of if or when (regarding college) its where. I would be ok with him starting at a junior college for up to two years but prefer that he go straight to a four year at least 3 hours away. I'm also ok with some trade schools (our friend is a tech at BMW that makes over $100k per year) as long as it's something wi5h a future. That is, my son won't be majoring in film or history, at least not on my dime(s). My perspective is one of, "my education is my salvation". Even though I'm not working directly in my field of study (law) I could not have gotten into my current position without the education I have, the requirements and preferences are just too high (e.g. BS with 7+ years experience, MBA preferred, JD strongly preferred/prioritized). Some people can make it without a college education but I'd rather my son have it and not need it instead of need it and not have it. After all, it's not something you can just buy off the shelf at anytime since it takes at least 4 years to earn.

Another option for those financially challenged is to join the military. It's quite a commitment but if you can do 4 years you build skills and get the benefits of the gi bill including va loans.

@jcyamahariders wife , I have a bs in finance and one of my best friends is an attorney who Specializes in wills and trust. Although I'm not a financial planner we are in agreement on this. It's never to late to start saving for college and it's never to early either.

On the other end of this one of my friends has a sr. in college and is already thinking about what she is going to do with all the money she won't be spending after he graduates later this year. She didn't have much of a college fund so she paid as he went and looks at his graduation date as the date she gets a big raise.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As tuition continues to rise my hope is society removes the stigma of vocational schools and that opens up avenues for lower level trades to offer more cost efficient paths to those jobs. Or the bubble bursts and chaos ensues. A traditional bachelors degree shouldn't be required for a job that you are starting at 40-50k and maxing out at 60-70k, but that has to start with the employers hiring practices.

Keep in mind everyone that came from nothing and/or worked their way through college with no help and don't want to deprive their kids of that character building experience, that avenue is all but closed at today's tuition prices.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We did it differently. Used pre-college money to pay off all debts. Now we pay for university out of cash flow. Ours is about $25k per year. Cam

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
529 is the way to go -- Tax free on interest gained for Education -- but you can pull the money out whenever for what ever (emergency) -- just have to pay taxes on it. You set up an account and you can give that info the Grandparents and sibblings -- CD have such low interest rates -- 529 would be a much better solution for your parent's contributions.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for all your advise and experiences really helpful !

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a lot of good information here: http://www.savingforcollege.com/intro_to_529s/what-is-a-529-plan.php

To answer your initial question though -- most states do offer tax benefits for investing in 529 -- You ahve to check your local 529 though. You can open a 529 in any state. some states have better rates / less fees. but assuming your state offers Tax incentives for 529 (MN does not -- Where I live) you should open on in your state. do a little digging, but If I were you, I would cash out those CDs and Invest them in the 529 -- You have 5 years of interest to gain until you start and 13 years until you are "Theoretically" done paying for college.

As others have stated -- college is expensive -- I left with 30K in debt -- but for those who have said their education was not worth it -- I feel bad for them. I paid off my loans in 3 years -- but surely would not have the job I am in without a college degree. Heck, our admins have 4 year degrees here. Mine as well plan for the expensive parts of life (College) and if they don't go -- that 2017 E series will need an upgrade by then.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can honestly say I wouldn't be where I am today without my college education. I graduated in 2001 and became comfortable with my income so I didn't leave my factory job. Things finally changed in 2011 when an office position finally opened up and I gained the upper hand due to my degree. So all those years paying on my loan without feeling anything came from it changed finally. So now I deal with my HR manager saying I can never be the Materials manager even though I can do the job because I lack the 4 year degree. He said go back to college and I laughed heck no I don't want to be paying student loans on myself and my kids at the same time I love boating too much ! ;)

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same for me. My only reason for success and having a great life is my engineering degree. For our kids we insisted they get a degree. One is done and one is starting. We are paying for their education but remind them not to expect an inheritance since we are going to party until it is all gone. Cam.