• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 curious!

Axman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I am fascinated by the Scarab 165 and am considering one to replace (or in addition of) my PWC. I expect it to handle more like an oversized ski in many aspects. My question is - how does it handle taking water over the bow. We frequently ride long open water rides (150 miles+ with a 12 Gal aux tank) and a day that starts on glass can easily end up in some nasty white caps or 2 sec bay chop. Or a Bimini trip that blessed us with 14ft in the Atlantic when Ventusky forecasted 5. :)

I don't mind getting wet. I don't mind not being able to stand - I am short and can't really stand on the FX either. But I am worried about the boat taking on too much water, something we don't worry about on skis. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Even the Glastron 187 would be an option btw.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Own a 165 for 3 years now. Boat on Lake Nipissing, Ontario, Canada (look it up for size purposes) often. It's a large and shallow lake that produces significant waves.

As much as I love my little 165, this is NOT the boat for rough water. Going into the waves will get water to come over the bow. Any other direction, it's rough but won't take any water (you will get splashed though). It's the only time I feel insecure in that boat. So I just can't recommend it for rough seas.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You're correct, these are oversized jet ski but due to the width and weight they become a boat. They perform and act like a jet ski but they are truly a boat. You passenger sits besides you not behind you. Taking water over the bow on a boat is not the same as a jet ski. It has nowhere to go or I should say cannot get out very quickly. Maybe you can rent one for the day to get a feel for it. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer; I am there with you. Went from SeaDoo GTXs to a 19' Baja. They each have their place. Good luck.

Oh, welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!! Lots and lots of good info and good people here. Enjoy...