• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Scarab 165 depth finder question

brontvain

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Hi folks
Recently got a Scarab 165 ID (2023).
I noticed it comes with a pre installed bracket (attached picture) for a depth finder - and looking on the Owner'ss website, I see the transducer is OEM Depth Sensor Transducer 278002954 (listed as part 028-3159 on the parts catalog Select Your Brand).
Now my question... is this pre-wired (assuming so, which one would the wires be located at?), and would work with the instrument cluster/panel with minimal retrofit? Anyone installed this same one?

Thanks in advance!
20240923_141916.jpg

They use the diagnostic port connector that is currently clipped to the fuse box right behind your battery. It will be currently capped off with a white cap. It's literally plug and play. The cluster recognizes the new device and then gives you the option to display depth in the settings.

With that being said, I've never done it on my 165. But I did it on my 2023 Sea-Doo GTX. Should be identical.

sounds like this one (attached)?

re: the mounting bracket I mentioned on the first post, is it that the mounting place?
I wonder if I just drop the depth finder as is in there touching the hull with that gel pad.

1727119731902.png

Attachments

• 20240923_152155.jpg
    20240923_152155.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
Yes that's the spot and connector. The seadoo version uses a plastic circular piece that is glued directly to the hull without that rectangle you have. I'm guessing the official Scarab one attached differently to that rectangle. I've never seen it. If you decide to position it somewhere else, be aware of where. Any bubbles or metal in the way will block the sonar. That spot has been selected for a good reason.

What's unusual about that spot is that it's not positioned on a flat/pointing down part of the hull

That's normal. It's why the transducer is also angled. Same for Sea-Doo. It's to avoid obstacles that ARE on the flat spots. Like the metal ride plate, the intake grate, air bubbles, etc.

You need water that has a super smooth laminar flow. That spot is super smooth water so that the sonar sound waves can travel through the fibreglass and into the water properly.

To be clear, maybe you didn't pick up on this... the bottom of the transducer is on an angle so that it ends up shooting straight down. The lower end of that angle goes towards the center of the boat. That ends up making the transducer perfectly vertical.

Got it. If you dont mind me asking, did you install any depth/fish finder on your scarab ?

I did, but it's not very good and I wouldn't recommend it. The very best solution, if you decide to go down that route is to get an actual fish finder with a transducer mounted on the outside of the hull. But that requires so very careful planning on where and how to mount it. You'd need to do some research to understand how that works. But the same position all the way to the stern should work. It requires drilling holes for mounting and another to run the cable into the boat.

But that would give you full fish finder capabilities. If you just want depth, I'd recommend getting the official transducer from a Scarab dealer directly. It'll be specifically designed to fit that hole and will be integrated into your cluster nicely.

Yup - I went to the dealer and I saw the part is this (dealer screenshot) - basically it's identical to Seadoo

1727121749561.png

Yes, but the mount is not the same for that rectangular bracket. The Sea-Doo bracket is designed to glued to an angled hull. So if you buy the Sea-Doo one, it won't work with that flat area. You'll need to change how it's installed. I'm guess the Scarab one comes with the right bracket to mount it. So if you go with the Sea-Doo one, keep that in mind....

Yes, but the mount is not the same for that rectangular bracket. The Sea-Doo bracket is designed to glued to an angled hull. So if you buy the Sea-Doo one, it won't work with that flat area. You'll need to change how it's installed. I'm guess the Scarab one comes with the right bracket to mount it. So if you go with the Sea-Doo one, keep that in mind....

Make sense - I saw seadoo sells this to install
1727122505284.png

But the scarab parts website only shows the transducer, no bracket. I'm assuming the transducer drops in as is on that hole.

Likely. But it needs to stay there somehow in good contact with the hull. That's the part I'm uncertain how they do it. Screws? Glue? Anything will do as long as it stays in place. With the gel pad, and some 3M 4200 around the transducer would probably hold it just fine. I'd just put some weight on it while it cures fully.

IF the sea-doo one works the same with the cluster (which it likely does), then could also mount it with the plastic base inline with the dedicated spot. Likely there's nothing there and it would work. I'd move it towards the stern since it's less bouncy. But check for obstacles in the way.

Yeah that's a good idea. Just realized the diagnostic port connection cable is very short and wont reach the spot - wondering if there's some sort of male/female extension that can be used ? the cable that comes with the transducer seems short as well

The one that comes with the Sea-Doo one is very long. So yeah, they definitely sell them...

well - ordered the part with Scarab straight from the dealer. Wish me luck!

Thanks Luc

You should post what it looks like once you have it installed. I'm sure others in the future would appreciate finding this thread .

Back