• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 -- 2016 -- first impressions

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I picked up my new boat that has 20hrs on it, and I've been reading this forum for some info. I'm waiting for another warm day to take the boat out.
I love the radio....I burned a USB flash drive with about 1300 songs on it so I can play my music when I'm in the boat. I had to download the manual to find out how to operate it. It's got a Bluetooth connection so I can hear my phone over the noise, or stream Pandora, but I probably won't use that feature much.

My first problem came up when trying to lock the trailer onto the hitch ball. The Tie-down engineering braking part of the trailer has a lever that must be pushed down flush to latch the mechanism onto the ball, and the ball I bought has large hex base that prevents the capture prongs from swinging under the ball. The solution was to go to Lowes and buy a standard ball with the small base.
Another thing I noticed is that the boat has a bunch of cup holders that don't drain and seem to be glued into the deck. And, there are a couple of pockets under the front seat cushions that also hold water. Should I drill them all out so that the water will go down into the bilge?
Another thing I noticed is that the floor locker and the engine bay both hold water, even with the boat jacked up on an angle, and I read that there might be a hidden water well between those two spots. I guess my shop vac can suck those out.
I going to have to find out if there is some way to reduce the idle rpm for docking, since it seems kind of hard to find the sweet spot on the shift handle that is actually neutral. Plus, I'm not used to the reverse steering thrust that is different from my other jet boat(Whaler). I haven't tried the docking mode on the throttle yet. Does it reduce the rpm or just maintain the regular idle rpm?
Damn, that's a tall stern light pole!
Horn already quit. Is there a way to rejuvenate it?
Is there supposed to be a plug in the flushing pipe that comes out on the port side of the jet?
Would it be possible to swap out the seats for ones that have the flip-up bottoms? cost?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Floyd Welcome to the community! Congrats on your purchase!
I will let experts answer other questions. Regarding hitch ball/coupler I have the same issue with one of mine, I have learned to latch it up as I lower the coupler down -- just before the coupler slides all the way down onto the ball, there is enough clearance there at some point (as you lower it with trailer jack).
Regarding drainage issues, I usually prop my trailer jack up on a cinder block to get some extra leverage, seems to help get the water to flow back and drain out.

--

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Floyd as @swatski said the issue with the cuppling to the hitch is the hex at the bottom of the ball. I just latch it as I am lowering the jack. The compartments holding water has been an issue day one. I have one in the anchor locker and then the ski locker. You should have much water in the ski locker unless you are storing the boat outside with just the mooring cover. If you are you need the trailering cover, well worth the money.

G Russell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Platinum 195 and can't even find a drain hole at the bottom of the anchor locker, so I shop vac'd nearly a gallon of water out of there. Am I missing something?
Thanks