• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 HO Impulse: Drain Plug Lights

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well.

I have been tossing around the idea of LED lights in the back of the boat and I stumbled across some drain plugs that you feed through the boat and connect to your electrical system. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? I think I might try it, but before I do I was wondering?

1. What's the thread type and size on our drain plugs?

2. The most important question. The plugs I want to use have a diameter of 2.25" and protrude 2.5" from the drain hole. Would this interfer with the boat's propulsion mechanism?

3. Is it possible to feed cables through the drain and back up into the boat where they are accessible? I'd hook them into the existing lighting wiring so they turn on and off at the switch.

Any info would be great. I'd go measure myself but I'm working on site and won't get home for another few week and wanted to order the plugs for when I got home if they would work. Thanks a lot.

Rob

Last edited:

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Good morning, I thought I'd add some info for those of you who come here in the future with the same questions.

The short answer is that yes, feeding a wire through the drain plug is possible. The problem is that all the LED drain plugs on the net use a Garboard style thread, and are generally 1/2". The Scarab uses an 1" plug of a different thread style, picture attached. As you can see they're much different.

I believe the workaround would be that you'd have to remove the old style drain plug and then install your aftermarket Garboard drain plug. This would require drilling a few more holes, a bunch of sealant and a gasket.

I think for my purposes I'm going to suck it up and install some lights through the transom.

Take care, all.

Rob

Attachments

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I was researching this as well and came across this at BoatPlugLight.com
If you check the video, it appears to be a replacement for the same plug.

Last edited:

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
They've also got this that will let you adapt their lights to this plug.

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
All, that's my 2018 Scarab. Most plugs are standard thread but if your plug came plastic I would recommend upgrading to copper or stainless before using any led plug. Wires do go through the plug drain hole. They have other transoms bars that can be drilled and sealed. Zero performance change as is in front of the propulsion and above the bottom of the hull. Btw I have other boats and I recently bought from that boat plug website claiming to be the brightest and the best.. pure lies and customer service from the owner by email and phone sounded like he hates simple questions. He was a total jerk. Not to mention the standard 4 wire rgb (black red green blue) he uses completely diffrent colors which made install very frustration for using a led controller. The lights were nowhere even as bright as some lesser expensive version (light what is in my scarab video) this expensive one I cant even see in the day AT ALL!.. and last vent his expensive led required a voltage regulator that looks like trash. All other brands have used are simple power source and rgb color match wire. See day day video scarab and other boat.. I m no electrician...its just simple wiring and i do lots of night riding.
See attached pic of installed type used on my scarab..sorry I dont know brand.
New Glastron Gt229

Attachments

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I wish I had a video of the full speed colorful roost.. lots of complements ( however in Ca also illegal).. last not I have 2 diffrent controllers to my pair of LED so I could use 2 effects separate but in sync you could only image how bright they are.. looks like flame thrower on all red at high speed

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
They've also got this that will let you adapt their lights to this plug.
Keep in mind, from them, these lights are not meant to be used on plane as they could burnout. Mine did and was replaced. They replaced it with a "better" version and so far no issues (even on plane).

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Keep in mind, from them, these lights are not meant to be used on plane as they could burnout. Mine did and was replaced. They replaced it with a "better" version and so far no issues (even on plane).
So not true that they would burn out on plane.. I drive hrs in plane and never had an issue.. they are in the water not to mentioned water at night when the water is colder. Couldnt image that being any issue and have never heard of it happening.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I zoomed in for you all but sorry dont recall the brand. I did get it from the boat dealer where I bought my boat.
So did you replace the drain plug and drain, drilling new holes into the transom? I was hoping to avoid that. At least at first to see if I like the look or not.

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The treads are the same so in theory you could use the factory plug base. I hear ya in the drilling into the outside of the boat... its nerve wracking. On the scarab I did have the dealership do it when I ordered it. I did all the other led work. On my new boat I used the oem base since it was metal with the new led plug. Zero leaks and I leave my boat in the water a few weeks at a time.

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So not true that they would burn out on plane..
Are you kidding? Let me introduce myself. I am the first guy you have met that had a light burn out. Not only that, from the manufacturer the stated they DO NOT MAKE A LIGHT THAT IS MEANT TO BE USED ON PLANE. I sent my light back and they replaced it. I have had no issues (with the new one) since and I DO turn them on while on plane. Please, be careful with your words.

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Are you kidding? Let me introduce myself. I am the first guy you have met that had a light burn out. Not only that, from the manufacturer the stated they DO NOT MAKE A LIGHT THAT IS MEANT TO BE USED ON PLANE. I sent my light back and they replaced it. I have had no issues (with the new one) since and I DO turn them on while on plane. Please, be careful with your words.
seriously??? "BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR WORDS"...(Unnecessary but OK, i get it your one of them last word mouthy know it all snowflake guys..)... Guessing you must have bought cheap junk or mounted it ABOVE THE WATER LINE.(Please show your PIC) .
In YOUR own words, YOU say you are the "FIRST" person that this has happened to..well that's sounds accurate.
(I've seen people mount LED bars high scared of flooding their boat and hoping the LED will project more brightness.. Of course if it up high your a moron if your have the LED on OUT of the water....
LEDS DONT/shouldn't GET HOT . ( The exception are those over priced Diablo drain plugs. ( I have one) Per the owner they requires their RGB amplifier (unneeded) and some power transformer/power regulator (that nobody else needs) ...and its NOT the brightest LED as the website and youtubes claim..brighter than CHEAP ones, yes..and I have one so I'm talking for experience of using it.)

Their drain plug is always going to sit in the water especially if you have passengers or ballast bags ).
BTW before YOU get your feelings get hurt, I'm not attacking you, just referring to OTHER people here)
Consider this LOGIC for a second...WHY the hell would you buy a LED light (or why would SOMEONE SELL a light, that can only be used when your docked? Unless its a docking light. It's for USE ON/IN THE WATER unless you bought JUNK. each to their own... I live in a boating community and most drives with them at ALL speeds and NEVER heard of any issues other than its illegal and you can get a ticket
(Last part is for the intelligent people trying to make an intelligent decision for THEIR boat, hence THEIR original questions.)
I'll save you the time on your reply.......you will be ignored and NO RESPONSE needed, how you feel is none of my business..

Happy New Year everyone else..

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@Rusty Fishook

Better to be thought as a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Rusty Fishook

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
And why would you have your mouth OPEN while your on your keyboard? SmH ( I knew you couldnt NOT reply ) it's new years eve-eve and 5 o'clock somewhere .. go do something positive. Like Magic Johnson says.."stay positive"