• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 195 wake review

Chwtom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
just got a 2019 scarab 195 wake, and I’m here to give you my impressions so far and answer questions. For reference I’ve owned a Yamaha sx190 and a 2014 scarab 195.

Boat is gorgeous. There is a new carpet/mat that looks kind of like what they roll sushi in, but it looks and feels great. The middle seat in back is gone and is replaced by a step through, which is awesome as it makes it easier for boarders and tubers to get back on the boat.
The boat is noticeably quieter than the 2014 scarab, and a world different than the high pitched deafening whine of the Yamaha. It has a deep throaty growl but conversation is possible on the boat at tubing/boarding speed.
The tower folds backwards which is mostly really nice. It allows lots of clearance and folds with just two thumbs screws. It’s really in the way when folded down though.
Seems to have plenty of power so far. For surfing, it’s not great yet. I have the surfstream add ons which aren’t described anywhere. They are l-shaped fiberglass pieces that screw into the hull in back. They are intended to shape the wake but they don’t fit well and water sprays over the top. There is about 750 pounds of ballast. Probably not enough. I was able to get slack in the line for about 20 seconds. My daughter about the same. Not a lot of push on the wave.
There were a few quality control issues:
-the collar the holds the board rack on fell off and into the lake the first time I used it. Looks like it’s held on with a set screw that doesn’t go into metal, it’s just a friction fit which isn’t a great design.
-the Bimini cover blew off on the way home from the dealer
-there is a wedge of upholstery on the tower that is loose
-the radio remote by the helm doesn’t work at all
-the stickers on the side are running off from the carpeted bunks on my lift. After one day.

I’m a little disappointed in the number of quality control issues I’ve found so far, and I’m bummed it’s not better for surfing. Other than that it’s an awesome boat. Beautiful to look at with the blue/black exterior and blue/white interior.

kkees

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the feed back. I have a 2019 Scarab 195 on order and will be here in March. I ordered one with the 300hp. This is my first boat purchase. I'm a bit nervous but sounds like all the Scarab issues are working out with newer models. I have a senior Alaskan Malamute with arthritis and the rear cut out was key for me. The Yamaha step over would be way to hard for her. This boat seems perfect for her to get out and swim and climb aboard. The Vortex was another option but no dealers near me. I have 2 Scarab dealers within 15 miles of me. So that is what sold me. Quick drop off for maintenance, warranty or service.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
They say boats are expensive, they say dogs are expensive... combined, the sky is the limit! ;) hahaha I kid of course. But I do like that picking the boat depended on the dog. My dog obsessed mother-in-law would be very approving of your choice! Congrats!

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Chwtom do you have a Rotax300 in your new MY2019 Scarab 195? Heard the power-torque is pretty impressive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Thanks for the feed back. I have a 2019 Scarab 195 on order and will be here in March. I ordered one with the 300hp. This is my first boat purchase. I'm a bit nervous but sounds like all the Scarab issues are working out with newer models. I have a senior Alaskan Malamute with arthritis and the rear cut out was key for me. The Yamaha step over would be way to hard for her. This boat seems perfect for her to get out and swim and climb aboard. The Vortex was another option but no dealers near me. I have 2 Scarab dealers within 15 miles of me. So that is what sold me. Quick drop off for maintenance, warranty or service.
Just bought a 2019 300 hp wake, excited for summer, bit nervous on how it will perform as well. what are your thoughts so far, assuming you took it out last year after it arrived?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
just got a 2019 scarab 195 wake, and I’m here to give you my impressions so far and answer questions. For reference I’ve owned a Yamaha sx190 and a 2014 scarab 195.

Boat is gorgeous. There is a new carpet/mat that looks kind of like what they roll sushi in, but it looks and feels great. The middle seat in back is gone and is replaced by a step through, which is awesome as it makes it easier for boarders and tubers to get back on the boat.
The boat is noticeably quieter than the 2014 scarab, and a world different than the high pitched deafening whine of the Yamaha. It has a deep throaty growl but conversation is possible on the boat at tubing/boarding speed.
The tower folds backwards which is mostly really nice. It allows lots of clearance and folds with just two thumbs screws. It’s really in the way when folded down though.
Seems to have plenty of power so far. For surfing, it’s not great yet. I have the surfstream add ons which aren’t described anywhere. They are l-shaped fiberglass pieces that screw into the hull in back. They are intended to shape the wake but they don’t fit well and water sprays over the top. There is about 750 pounds of ballast. Probably not enough. I was able to get slack in the line for about 20 seconds. My daughter about the same. Not a lot of push on the wave.
There were a few quality control issues:
-the collar the holds the board rack on fell off and into the lake the first time I used it. Looks like it’s held on with a set screw that doesn’t go into metal, it’s just a friction fit which isn’t a great design.
-the Bimini cover blew off on the way home from the dealer
-there is a wedge of upholstery on the tower that is loose
-the radio remote by the helm doesn’t work at all
-the stickers on the side are running off from the carpeted bunks on my lift. After one day.

I’m a little disappointed in the number of quality control issues I’ve found so far, and I’m bummed it’s not better for surfing. Other than that it’s an awesome boat. Beautiful to look at with the blue/black exterior and blue/white interior.

Super helpful, thanks so much for the detailed review, not much out there. Curious if you think I can get my 3 daughters surfing behind this, they are all under 10 yrs old? Did you modify anything on the board rack to keep if in place instead of the set screw? I have a 2019 wake 300 hp just bought, excited for summer. Any need for vortex keels that are on line for better maneuverability? thx, J

flycast209

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Super helpful, thanks so much for the detailed review, not much out there. Curious if you think I can get my 3 daughters surfing behind this, they are all under 10 yrs old? Did you modify anything on the board rack to keep if in place instead of the set screw? I have a 2019 wake 300 hp just bought, excited for summer. Any need for vortex keels that are on line for better maneuverability? thx, J
Emily Dale can do it, so your 3 daughters will too:

2019scott195wake300

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
so did you ever get up surfing?

i have a 2019 scarab 195 wake with the 300 and im close but it deffenty could be better...im still learning but i can ride the wave for a good 5 mins till i get all jacked up lol...im interested in this surfstream ????

i found it best to load the ski locker up with water and what ever side you are surfing on to fill. then we always have someone sit on the back corner of the side you are surfing on. we do a take off of 5 at 10.5mph and then drop the speed to 8.5 to 9 and you can let go of the rope then. most of the time we surf with 3 to 4 adults in the boat and a surfer as well