• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

scarab 215id winerize help

chilaxin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I have read many posts but still no clear cut start to finish how to winterize. Anyone have a video or check list? I am very handy but still need a walk through for the first time @ScarabMike post taught me not to fog ( I can now return fog). ANY help would be great!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!! Lots of good reading here with members who care about keeping you on the water. I copied this from my FB Chaparral Vortex Group. Living down in Florida I have never done it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It's important to understand that everyone does "winterizing" differently. Also what do we mean by winterizing? Because technically speaking, that's ensuring your boat is ready for a longer storage period, potentially below freezing temps. To others, it means doing maintenance as well.

With that being said, here is my checklist I do every year which includes maintenance. I do it in this order so that the oil is warm when you get to the oil change. Many get by with just air instead of antifreeze but most boaters that go well into freezing temps use antifreeze instead since it's cheap and effective and reduces any risk of leaving any water in the system. Also, if you don't have a compressor, it's cheaper to buy a drill pump.

- Add fuel stabilizer & fill tank first.
- Drain coolant from ride plate. Fill coolant reservoir and as it comes out the ride plate, replace drain plug (73 in-lbs) so that there's no air in the system (this should be done every 2 years only). Make sure level sits between min/max on reservoir and confirm after engine has been ran later.
- Antifreeze exhaust flush using drill pump. Start engine first. Purge leftovers by revving engine. Use 2 gallons (I would use 4 if I had an intercooler). Capture antifreeze with kids swimming pool. Easy to then pump it back into the jug and dispose of in the toilet.
- Check oil level (used to confirm your oil level isn't too low).
- Suck oil out through dipstick (18.75" tube length) using a vacuum pump. This takes a while 15-20 min. Be patient.
- Run engine a few seconds then pump some more to get more oil out.
- Remove bolt holding filter, cover and pull filter to drain. E10 socket.
- Install new filter, install and lube O ring. Also clean old oil around filter area.
- Add fresh oil (˜3 quarts), do half of last quart then check level.
- Reinstall dip stick and run engine for a few seconds. Recheck oil level and top up accordingly. DO NOT overfill.
- Inspect spark plugs and change if required (torque: 17 ft-lbs or 1/4 turn after hand tightening).
- Add dielectric grease to coils to seal connections.
- Disconnect battery, clean and inspect and put on maintainer. More dielectric grease to keep m
- Tighten all clamps, check wires, etc.
- Lube up whole engine and jet nozzle area with XPS lube.
- Grease trailer wheels.
- Clean boat and wax.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Also, feel free to PM me if you have any follow up questions. Going into my third winter up here in Canada.

chilaxin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
any differance from 2015 to new 2019 ? now i am new boat owner so when you say drain fluid from ride plate i dont know what that means. when you say exhaust flush? not sure how to do that . I guess I need a beginners guide. I would like to handle this myself and not depend on a dealer.

chilaxin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I did have the dealer do the oil change

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
No major difference, no.

Send me a PM. Easier for back and forth. But I can walk you through it. Not a problem.

Jesse Jackson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Hey bud.
In Canada also.
Just in the middle of wintering.
What do u mean by drain the ride plate.
I gravity feed 5 liters of antifreeze into flush port ran a couple time with intercooler hose off bunch of water came out. Took coils and plugs out sprayed fog in. Anything im missing.

Thanks Jesse

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hey Jesse. Nope, you got it. That's all that's important.

The ride plate contains the engine coolant/antifreeze that you see in the reservoir. As part of regular maintenance, you need to replace that coolant every 2 years, max. But it doesn't need to be done for winterizing. Just make sure you get it done at max 2 years of use. I can walk you through those steps (easy) if needed. PM me.

I'd also add stabilizer in the fuel and put the battery on a maintainer.