• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 HO Impulse Resonator Melting

Ken Flowers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My 2017 Scarab 255 has overheated numerous times with weed clogs in the either the main intake or the small cooler intake for the exhaust. The port side overheated at least 5-6 times last summer, the starboard motor overheated once. The boat began taking on water after the starboard overheat. I managed to get it back to the trailer before it sank. The dealer is now telling me that the overheat melted the plastic resonator on the starboard side. I requested an inspection on the port resonator and more melting evidence was found, but it hadn't yet begun to leak. The dealer, and Scarab will not acknowledge that there is a design problem. But doing some research on the web I see that there is already a class action lawsuit against Seadoo for similar issues with the Rotax motors and the plastic resonators. Has anyone else encountered this issue on the Scarab boats? If so, we should chat about it and see what we can do to battle them together.

Attachments

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yep. Same thing happened to me first attempt to cross to Bimini 2014? Thank god it happened in the icw. Sea Weed clogged the exhaust cooling intake. (Port side) This was a seadoo challenger 210se. With the 215hp engines. Ended up costing me 600ish bucks to get fixed. Was the only trouble I ever had out of that boat had it for 100hours ish before it was sold.

Lowstar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My 2017 Scarab 255 has overheated numerous times with weed clogs in the either the main intake or the small cooler intake for the exhaust. The port side overheated at least 5-6 times last summer, the starboard motor overheated once. The boat began taking on water after the starboard overheat. I managed to get it back to the trailer before it sank. The dealer is now telling me that the overheat melted the plastic resonator on the starboard side. I requested an inspection on the port resonator and more melting evidence was found, but it hadn't yet begun to leak. The dealer, and Scarab will not acknowledge that there is a design problem. But doing some research on the web I see that there is already a class action lawsuit against Seadoo for similar issues with the Rotax motors and the plastic resonators. Has anyone else encountered this issue on the Scarab boats? If so, we should chat about it and see what we can do to battle them together.
Mine did the same thing on its maiden voyage first time out with my wife, exhaust temp over temp port side and then a loud noise, it blew the muffler off (water box). I limped it back to the dock and got it home to find out that almost every hose clamp on the port engine was loose and I’m talking LOSE so while I was limping the boat back to the dock the exhaust was pumping into the water box but there wasn’t enough pressure to push the water through the system so just the Hot gases we’re making it to the resonator and it melted just the intake of the resonator where the hose attaches, it also melted the exhaust temp sensor.
I bought a new temp sensor ( $26.00) from AutoZone, tightened all the clamps on the port engine ( starboard was fine ) got a new piece of wet exhaust rubber hose from West Marine that attaches the exhaust manifold to the water box ( original one was distorted ) put a new brass quarter inch T fitting into The hoses coming from the cat and the intercooler ( Old one also melted ) and reattached the exhaust hose to the resonator, it had enough meat for me to reattach to.
I’m trying to fix everything that I can buy myself before I take it back to the dealership so I can have them order parts and then give it to them to fix everything at once so that I am not without a boat for a month. Boating is fun

Adrian Noble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So this just happened yesterday. 15 min in fresh water, it felt like i sucked something up. Nothing in the grate but cavitation with any throttle.
Tried to limp it back to the dock.. but after about 3 min, the resonator box melts.. see pic. Towed back and took directly to the shop. 2017 Scarab 165 HO. Only 35 hr use.

Attachments

Lowstar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So this just happened yesterday. 15 min in fresh water, it felt like i sucked something up. Nothing in the grate but cavitation with any throttle.
Tried to limp it back to the dock.. but after about 3 min, the resonator box melts.. see pic. Towed back and took directly to the shop. 2017 Scarab 165 HO. Only 35 hr use.
Did you get a “ exhaust temp over temp” indicator ? Sounds like you sucked up some small debris that clogged the water flow to the exhaust which in turn melted the resonator as you were limping it back to the dock. That sucks, I know. Since then I’ve learned how to use the reverse flow method to clear the debris, works almost every time.

Adrian Noble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Did you get a “ exhaust temp over temp” indicator ? Sounds like you sucked up some small debris that clogged the water flow to the exhaust which in turn melted the resonator as you were limping it back to the dock. That sucks, I know. Since then I’ve learned how to use the reverse flow method to clear the debris, works almost every time.
No it initially said oil pressure low.. then engine temp warning. I dont have a reverse flow switch..dont think that is an option on the 165. Strange that the grate was clear..

Lowstar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the Rotax engines have plastic exhaust parts?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the Rotax engines have plastic exhaust parts?
So do Yamaha (at least the 1.8s) - water boxes are SS or some kind of alloy but the resonator boxes and the piping are plastic.

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This makes me appreciate my Yamaha a little more, at least it has metal water boxes. I was hoping that scarab had addressed all the quality problems that plagued them when they first introduced their lineup of jet powered boats a few years ago.

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
No there is no reverse flow switch it is a reverse flow method I’ve added the link here to explain how to do it hope it helps. You will find out that it does not take a very large piece whatsoever to cavitate you’re Impellers, it could be as small as a postage stamp, a small sliver of wood between the impeller and the wear ring .
https://jetboaters.net/index.php?threads/easy-way-to-clean-debris-out-of-your-jet-pump-without-pulling-plugs.16
I've owned jetboats for 20yrs and I'm embarrassed that I never knew about this technique. I'd thrash around with the reverse gate and throttles until the crap clears. This makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Yes, its amazing how something so small can disrupt the water flow. Feels like you ran aground and knocked one of the blades off you outboard prop.

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
just had our resonator melt and nearly sink our 2018 scarab 195 open on the 4th. no warings until it was already failing. well actually it threw a rich code previously that when looking back may have been from an ehaust leak around 22hrs. now at 28ish hrs it failed. the motor never ran above 210 deg during regular opperation from the breaking till the failure then went straight to hell when it failed. i am looking for options now and may even have an aluminum straight through resonator built by a friend this week. with a simple silicone elbow it would bolt right in

Surferd15

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
It can happen. The new 19s have an aluminum resonator. Conact a dealer for retrofit.

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
just talked to the dealer and informed them of the newer resonator design. they seem to be alluding to it not being a warranty issue. my boaters insurance is waiting for the itemized repairs quote.

if there is a known failure point on your product why would you not warranty it? then change it to an item that wont fail the same way?

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
just for documentation: Feldman v BRP US Inc.

my claim has just been moved up to a manufacturers deffect dept because of this previous law suit

it pays to do your research