• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 285 first ride - wondering how big?

dandwms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First ride in my new Scarab 285. This is my second jet boat. I had a Yamaha 242 a few years back. Hands down, I like the Scarab better, but I still think Yamaha makes an awesome boat.

If you are wondering how big it is - I have it dry docked and they put it in the water and happened to park it next to a 195, which is one fun boat.

6E07DDA4-F3CF-4A11-8031-8692ED26B40D_1_105_c.jpeg

13CDDABD-7F6B-4B6B-8734-C748983BD209_1_105_c.jpeg

DA136EED-80D6-4C7F-9FAB-2A575942475D_1_105_c.jpeg

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats! Beautiful looking boat.
Not very well versed on the Scarab powertain/model pairing - what motors are in the 285? ACE1603s?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow, that thing is huge. I’d love to see more photos of the interior. :)

Great looking boat, congrats.

dandwms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats! Beautiful looking boat.
Not very well versed on the Scarab powertain/model pairing - what motors are in the 285? ACE1603s?
It has the twin ACE1603 with 300HP. Still in break-in period. I got to 45mph then pulled back.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Congrats that is sweet! That’s a damm yacht lol. Be some good times on that bad boy!

Scarab16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Beauty! Sure puts it in perspective beside that 195.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first apartment wasn't that big. Nice boat!

EDIT: Actually I just priced one out with options on the website. It cost more than my first house and vehicles combined :)

Last edited:

ididntdoit

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice boat, Nice Interior, Nice Wife.....

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I also had a Yamaha 242 and moved to the 285. Like you I loved the 242 and I do think Yamaha does make a great boat. We wanted bigger and it was between the 275 Yamaha and the 285 Scarab. We decided on the 285 for a few reasons, love the boat even with a few issues that Scarab is working to resolve.

Did you get the surf stream tabs? I see you have the mounts on the boat.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Love the color scheme. Beautiful! Congrats.

dandwms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I also had a Yamaha 242 and moved to the 285. Like you I loved the 242 and I do think Yamaha does make a great boat. We wanted bigger and it was between the 275 Yamaha and the 285 Scarab. We decided on the 285 for a few reasons, love the boat even with a few issues that Scarab is working to resolve.

Did you get the surf stream tabs? I see you have the mounts on the boat.
It does have the surf stream tabs. I have not had the chance to use the boat for surfing yet. I'm in the NW and it's still rainy and chilly. Prating for nice weather soon.

Quick question - I get some audio noise when I turn on the RGB lights. Curious f you got that? I am going to install some noise filters tomorrow and see if it takes care of it.

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It does have the surf stream tabs. I have not had the chance to use the boat for surfing yet. I'm in the NW and it's still rainy and chilly. Prating for nice weather soon.

Quick question - I get some audio noise when I turn on the RGB lights. Curious f you got that? I am going to install some noise filters tomorrow and see if it takes care of it.
I had noise one time but have not heard it again for some reason. From what I understand if the RGB controllers are within two and a half feet or so of the head unit you will get some feedback noise.

What do your surfstream tabs look like? Can you post a quick photo of them? Reason why I ask is because Scarab owes me a new set due to the fact the ones they sent with a boat were completely useless, it was a different design I guess they were playing with but they don't work at all!

dandwms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure. Here ya go. I might be relocating to the Dallas TX area later this year. Where is the best boating in the area?

IMG_0571.jpegIMG_0570.jpegIMG_0569.jpeg

Attachments

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Okay, they look exactly the same as the ones scared of gave us. From what I understand these were experimental but never really were tested. When we try to test them they were absolutely useless. Maybe you'll have better luck than we did, we are still waiting for Scarab to send us a new set that actually works as advertised.

As far as boating goes it would depend on what area you live. We live on the fort Worth side so we boat on eagle mountain Lake mostly. But there are a lot of lakes around here, Lewisville, Ray Roberts to name a few.

Last edited:

dandwms

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. If Scarab does ever ship you new ones, let me know. I will hit them up for a pair.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is an incredibly good looking boat! I absolutely love the layout.

--