• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab add a battery (modification)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok,

Today was the day to finally install my second battery, and multi-battery switch.

Here is what you will need.

Blue Sea Systems 6007 Switch
12ft of 6 gauge red cable
12ft of 6 gauge black cable
2 sets of battery connectors (the ones with the holes)
red/black shrink wrap
2 10" bags of wire loom
Group 27 Battery
Battery tray
Stainless steel wood screws (1/2")
3M 5200 sealant
Wire ties/zip ties

Here we go!

1. Open the engine cover, and the port side rear cushion to access the battery switch and breaker panel. Disconnect the positive on the battery.
  2. Look behind the switch and you will see a black plastic cover screwed into the noise insulator material. Remove the screws (its going to be tight. Take your time and don't loose the screws.)
  3. Now you will have exposed the connections. You will see the back of the switch with two large nuts.
  4. On the oem switch, the common (switch) wire is on the left, and the battery is on the right. Make sure you keep track of the wires that are attached to each side. DON'T MIX THEM UP!!!
  5. Remove the cables and wires, and put them aside
  6. Get your fingers and feel around behind the switch. Find the nuts/bolts and unscrew it (4 bolts/nuts) Be careful not to loose the nuts. And place them in a safe place.
  7. Remove the switch, and install the new switch.
  8. Once the new switch is installed, the common will now be the port side bolt/connector on the switch. The battery will be the center bolt/connector. Go ahead and connect the wires and cables, and connect them just like they were on the oem switch, and tighten. YOUR OLD/PORT SIDE BATTERY IS NOW #2 ON THE SWITCH!!!
  9. You have now connected the switch to the boat, and the first battery. The boat will work on that battery's position. And your stereo's memory will not be affected by any position on the switch.
  10. Time to install battery tray on the starboard side storage next to the engine. Make sure to pre-drill the holes with the drill in reverse, and use painter's tape. This will keep the gel-coat from fraying.
  11. Squeeze some 3M 5200 in the holes you just made, and screw the battery tray down. HAND TIGHT ONLY!!!! Let the 5200 dry for a couple hours before going to the next step.
  12. Install the new battery, and strap it down.
  13. Time to run the new battery cables. Put one end of the connectors, and wire loom on the new battery cables. The side with the new connectors will be your new battery side.
  14. Fish the new cables behind the ventilation pipe, and the 3 engine bay shocks. Tie wrap onto the existing wiring. Not to many ties, just enough to hold the new cables. You don't want to give yourself a headache if you ever need to isolate a trouble.
  15. Cut the black cable to length needed to connect the BLACK cable to the negative of the first battery (old one). Make sure the connection is TIGHT.
  16. Bring the new RED cable to the starboard side bolt/connector on the new switch. Cut the cable to length, and tighten. You now have the second battery connected.
  17. Test and make sure you can start the engine on all 3 settings (1,2,1+2)
  18. Enjoy your new 2 battery setup. You dont ever have to worry about getting stranded because of a dead battery
When you run the motor, you should try to use the 1+2 setting. This will charge both batteries, then switch to 1 or 2 when your listening to your stereo.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice write up!

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I was wondering where you were going to put the second battery.
I am still debating if I want to add a second, or just go with an Optima deep cycle/starter (since I am not going to be on the ocean).

Can you show your battery locations, as I just wonder how the area looks compared to the Glastron.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering where you were going to put the second battery.
I am still debating if I want to add a second, or just go with an Optima deep cycle/starter (since I am not going to be on the ocean).

Can you show your battery locations, as I just wonder how the area looks compared to the Glastron.
Ill update the pictures later on. The boat is covered right now. We had some bad storms the last few days. Here is a picture of @Joseph Baxter . Mine looks identical. I used his as a model. The space we used for the second battery is pretty much wasted space. You have to open the engine compartment to get to it, and I never use it. There is still space there to store just in case, but I thought it would be of better use to hold the battery. You can also spin the oem battery vertical and fit a Group 31 Optima next to it. I wanted to equalize the weight on the boat.

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does look like you can just add longer ones. Thats almost impossible to do your engine checks. But it looks like there may be some room to the sides when you get that hatch lifting higher.

Those are nice areas. I forget how much more accessible the Scarab bay is.

As a reference, and not to side track, here is my hatch, fully opened:
https://jetboaters.net/attachments/img_1678-jpg.7255/

I wonder if I could make it better with longer lift supports.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent write-up. Step by step instructions with pics! Well done sir! :winkingthumbsup"

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow. This is fantastic. Great job, Mike. This is the level of detail a non-gearhead like me needs. I'm happy to tinker and play around and learn, but not with a 30-50K investment. Really appreciate you taking the time. Might be a few months before I have a Scarab to follow suit (waiting to check out the new 2015 F-150s for a tow vehicle), but 2nd battery will be first upgrade performed.

Thanks again.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No problem gents!! Next mod will be 2 bank on board charger, and led engine bay lights.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I should have done this but was not in the community yet. Very nice @ScarabMike and I hope I did not cause you any problems with the wrong link to the battery switch.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Awe man...now I feel really bad.....I was just too excited to share information I just didn't dou due diligence andake sure it was the exact one I bought.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Stan Fisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ill update the pictures later on. The boat is covered right now. We had some bad storms the last few days. Here is a picture of @Joseph Baxter . Mine looks identical. I used his as a model. The space we used for the second battery is pretty much wasted space. You have to open the engine compartment to get to it, and I never use it. There is still space there to store just in case, but I thought it would be of better use to hold the battery. You can also spin the oem battery vertical and fit a Group 31 Optima next to it. I wanted to equalize the weight on the boat.
It looks like you picked another 24M-XHD battery from Interstate (clone of stock).. I was thinking.. since the goal is to have lots of power for running accessories (stereo) while stationary.. would it be a good idea to get a deep cycle for the new battery.. as the original is a marine cranking battery.. then you would always run off of the deep cycle when stationary and start from your cranking battery when heading out?
Just a thought..

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@ScarabMike .. NICE ! ............ Are ya available for hire ? I got 13 projects I could use some help on ........... LOL !
By the way .... REALLY nice work and great photos ! Thanks, Mike

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By the way ......... For those reading this ......... Please notice what on-board charger Mike chose.
By Pro Charging Systems, Nashville, TN.
You PAY for
Pro Charging Systems, and Minn-Kota .......... but in the longrun, they deliver in spades.
Quality chargers do not come "cheap" but they are so worth it.
Once again, NICE @ScarabMike !

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
DELTA (ie, "Don't Even Leave The Airport") is 'ready when you are' ! ............ LOL !@

rufnek47

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I installed my second battery yesterday. Pretty simple and the point thanks much Scarabmike for taking the time to post your info it was a great help.