• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Bow and Cockpit Cover

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
For the new owners/purchasers

Thought I should share with my new boating Friends. I bought my boat from the dealer on 17 April. The day I signed the papers I ordered a bow and cockpit cover. I was quoted 3-4 weeks. 8 weeks later when my cover was shipped I get a call from the dealer asking if i wanted the bow cover. I said yes that was part of what I ordered. They came back and said oh they made a mistake and only made and charged for a cockpit cover. So I ordered the remaining cover and the support rods. at the 9 week mark my cockpit cover portion finally arrives, I pick it up at the dealer and take it home. I open the box and I find the cover a support rod and a plastic bag with the top half of snaps. no paperwork or instructions included.

I call the dealer and they say that's how they come. I said don't you think the buyer should be informed at the time of purchase that this requires special tools and to be assembled by the purchaser? I also said how was I to install this even if I had the tools as there is no bottom snaps or screws. Was I supposed to buy these on my own? How was i supposed to know where to put them on the boat. Heck I wasn't even told that i would have to drill holes in my ne boat to put this on.
I cancelled the rest of the cover as it was going to be the same way.

Getting to the point.

1. I should have been informed by the dealer of the details of these tops.
2. SCARAB did a shitty job of making sure all the materials and instructions were included or make known how they come.
3. The prices SCARAB quotes on their website are not the cost that they charge at the counter 600 on the site but to get the whole assembly its closer to 800.
4. The top you order online you need to be sure to order the 5 sub pieces as their parts site doesn't do the whole assembly
5. be sure you ask the hard questions at the dealer as I found out they are not trained or informed on how SCARAB does things (NOT WELL BTW)
6. With the finished products I have gotten from SCARAB makes me feel ripped off (boat missing a bunch of fasteners the top fiasco)

So, Be informed on your purchase as I was not. Myself and my dealer learned some valuable lessons doing this.

Starting to regret not buying the Yamaha

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sucks your dealer not more helpful, but I gave up on dealers knowing anything about what I own long ago. They have too much personnel turnover, carry too many product lines and everything changing annually. I find what I need and tell them what I want. Most every manufacturer will have parts list online. On Scarab's website go to bottom of page and click "Parts Catalog" which will take you to this link. http://parts.fwdealer.com/
I believe the link to your 195 should be here although may want to double check this. Select Your Brand
You can go under the "Canvas Options" and see that the covers have multiple parts numbers and you have to order stuff separately. I agree that's a crappy way to do business for someone wanting a complete system, but on the flip side it allows the customer to order just a single part if that's all they need without having order everything.
As far as your cover of choice, you may want to look into the "trailering cover" as most of us with Yamaha boats go this option as it covers the entire boat and you don't need snaps drilled into hull. If it is crazy expensive there are lots of generic boat cover options from West Marine or Overtons.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah I've also found the dealership staff leaves much to be desired. Can you return it for full refund, or credit towards a trailer cover?

I second the Trailer Cover suggestion. It ran about $800 at the time. It's a little more challenging than just buttoning the standard covers on but you'll get the hang of it. It does provide more protection, and as stated in the name, it's strong enough and fastened well enough to leave on when trailering. Also, no buttons or drilling etc. Keeps the boat looking nice too eliminating the need for those buttons all over the hull. Mine was of a decent quality if it helps.

Also... I should say mine came without instructions either, so I needed the dealership to show me how it straps down and to where. If you go that route and need some photos, I can assist.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
For the new owners/purchasers

Thought I should share with my new boating Friends. I bought my boat from the dealer on 17 April. The day I signed the papers I ordered a bow and cockpit cover. I was quoted 3-4 weeks. 8 weeks later when my cover was shipped I get a call from the dealer asking if i wanted the bow cover. I said yes that was part of what I ordered. They came back and said oh they made a mistake and only made and charged for a cockpit cover. So I ordered the remaining cover and the support rods. at the 9 week mark my cockpit cover portion finally arrives, I pick it up at the dealer and take it home. I open the box and I find the cover a support rod and a plastic bag with the top half of snaps. no paperwork or instructions included.

I call the dealer and they say that's how they come. I said don't you think the buyer should be informed at the time of purchase that this requires special tools and to be assembled by the purchaser? I also said how was I to install this even if I had the tools as there is no bottom snaps or screws. Was I supposed to buy these on my own? How was i supposed to know where to put them on the boat. Heck I wasn't even told that i would have to drill holes in my ne boat to put this on.
I cancelled the rest of the cover as it was going to be the same way.

Getting to the point.

1. I should have been informed by the dealer of the details of these tops.
2. SCARAB did a shitty job of making sure all the materials and instructions were included or make known how they come.
3. The prices SCARAB quotes on their website are not the cost that they charge at the counter 600 on the site but to get the whole assembly its closer to 800.
4. The top you order online you need to be sure to order the 5 sub pieces as their parts site doesn't do the whole assembly
5. be sure you ask the hard questions at the dealer as I found out they are not trained or informed on how SCARAB does things (NOT WELL BTW)
6. With the finished products I have gotten from SCARAB makes me feel ripped off (boat missing a bunch of fasteners the top fiasco)

So, Be informed on your purchase as I was not. Myself and my dealer learned some valuable lessons doing this.

Starting to regret not buying the Yamaha
The prices on website are for price building the boat , it is not accessory price.
You are right alot of this is dealer issues! When i ordered my trailering cover (WHICH I STRONGY RECOMMEND,IN THE WATER/DRIVEWAY/TRAIRLING) dealer parts dept. was all over making sure i got everything before i paid .
You also can take your boat to a upholstery/cover shop and have any top made , still wont be cheap, i did that on my seadoo.