• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab build quality is very poor. (My 215 HO Impulse Wake)

WaltB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I would have to say that overall I am not impressed with Scarab build quality at all.

Here are the issues I have had:

When I purchased it new , Dec 2016, there were multiple gelcoat cracks. Cracks at the windshield mounts, port cleat, wet storage area in the back (Screws to mount the rear ladder were too long and poked up into the gelcoat) and on the bow anchor cover. Two cleats were loose. The port aft cleat did NOT even have the mounting bolts attached! The windshield was loose and I found the mounting bolts laying on the floor. The engine bay rubber gasket was falling off. The front center windshield rubber gasket gone. The fuse box cover missing, but found the wrong sized one on the floor in the compartment. Starboard aft cup holder loose. The trailer hydraulic lines are all rusted but was told that is from it sitting in MI. (I drove down to New Orleans to purchase the boat and brought it back to Dallas.)

Now I have 10 hours and have discovered the following:
Low fuel warning on start up even though I have 95% fuel remaining. Navigation not working. (Just get a blank blue screen) Bottom of driver side booster seat coming apart. (Looks like it was origionally stapled together) Aft wet storage locker will not drain.

I love the boat. It's fast, maneuverable and looks great. It's just the build quality is very poor!

After I get a few more hours on the boat I'll take it to the local dealer for repairs.

Walt

Last edited:

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Man that's a list! I've had mine abut 2 month now. Did find some flaws but nothing like that.

My depth finder still doesn't work!

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Wow Walt. Sorry about the troubles.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
walt,
Sorry to hear that you have so many problems, like all of us, we spend good money on these boat and to find some quality issues does get you mad. i have own 6 different brand new boats in my life time and not one has not been back to dealer for quality issues (fourwinns, chaperral,starcraft, seadoo,searay, thompson) . I was told at the dealer that scarab boats were high quality boats,but found out no different than i have had before in boats. they are less than 5 years old making this line of boats and i think they are still learning, still no excuse. I have found that i check the boat inside and out as much as i can, repairing or change things for the better, but thats me.
Me and my family (5), did look at the yamaha boats but did not like the seating, tower, reverse gate, some other things , not saying anything wrong with boat, just scarab had what we needed, so im working with it!
hope everything works out for the best.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Not much has changed since 05/2015. That's when mine was built.
Read my thread... It could be worse.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Talked to Scarab customer service this morning about my issues with loss of rpms and my dealer telling me and my wife that rotax is a shit engine!!!!
Told him to look at this forum to see complaints

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's funny. It's actually a really strong motor that handles boost very well. Sounds like them pointing fingers. In the end they chose that motor

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I know ,
this is not my first rotax, I had good luck with them before. I believe the tech. Doesn't know what's going on so they just spit that out.

tewilx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Bought a 2019 255 WAK3.
I have had many quality issues with this boat.
Reverse clip fell off the boat (and many more issues) and the boat was in the shop and unusable for 4 weeks out of the 1st 6 weeks after purchase. The clip falling off caused the throttle cable to kink and burnt up the reverse module. Scarab manufacture rep. was barely responsive and ultimately offered a free toilet for compensation of the lost family vacation. I declined the offer and insisted that it was worth more and I would rather inform the public of the poor quality build Scarab is providing the customer. The Local dealer I purchased my boat has dropped Scarab line for the "LACK" of QUALITY. Mine was the last Scarab they sold. I would never purchase another scarab. I will most likely trade mine for a better quality yet this year.
Other issues we have had with the boat:
1. Screws through the hull are secured with silicone not molded in the fiberglass, so if you need to take off the impeller grate guards the nuts will fall off the interior of the hull.
2. When manufactured they leave fiberglass shavings from drilling and zip ties in the hull and in the engine compartment. Fiberglass shavings falling out of the dashboard for weeks and out of the drain plug.
3. Wake surfing wedges are a cheap answer and tuning the wake for surfing is not as easy as it looks in the review videos on youtube. Still havent fully got this fine-tuned.
4. Windshield door fell inside the frame from improper installation.
5. Cooler location and access is poor and not useable as you would expect in such a high dollar purchase.
6. Trailer is rusting already.
7. Plastic covers on throttle cover is shit poor quality. Cover on the passanger side is the same crap.
8. Limited storage (glove box)
9. Floor ski storage doors need silencers.
10. I have to purchase the MAP somewhere online for the GPS to work properly??? Maps suck!!!

If you are looking for a wake boat or any boat Scarab or the other Rec Boat Holding brands (Four Winns , Glastron , and Wellcraft) is not something I would consider again.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about all your issues @tewilx. We buy boats to relax and enjoy quality time with the family not to go through the nightmare of repairs and down time. I don't know if your state has any sort of lemon law or consumer protection statute or even if your issues would qualify but it's disturbing when a company doesn't stand behind their product. Yamaha will do so but too often you have to do some arm bending to make it happen. I hope the dealer will get things right for you so you can enjoy the rest of the season.

eriediver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I would have to say that overall I am not impressed with Scarab build quality at all.

Here are the issues I have had:

When I purchased it new , Dec 2016, there were multiple gelcoat cracks. Cracks at the windshield mounts, port cleat, wet storage area in the back (Screws to mount the rear ladder were too long and poked up into the gelcoat) and on the bow anchor cover. Two cleats were loose. The port aft cleat did NOT even have the mounting bolts attached! The windshield was loose and I found the mounting bolts laying on the floor. The engine bay rubber gasket was falling off. The front center windshield rubber gasket gone. The fuse box cover missing, but found the wrong sized one on the floor in the compartment. Starboard aft cup holder loose. The trailer hydraulic lines are all rusted but was told that is from it sitting in MI. (I drove down to New Orleans to purchase the boat and brought it back to Dallas.)

Now I have 10 hours and have discovered the following:
Low fuel warning on start up even though I have 95% fuel remaining. Navigation not working. (Just get a blank blue screen) Bottom of driver side booster seat coming apart. (Looks like it was origionally stapled together) Aft wet storage locker will not drain.

I love the boat. It's fast, maneuverable and looks great. It's just the build quality is very poor!

After I get a few more hours on the boat I'll take it to the local dealer for repairs.

Walt
As I read the many poor reviews I realize that I have made a poor purchase. Like Walt I really like the boat performance except for the numerous quality issues. I ordered in Oct 2019 and rec'd boat May 2020. Ontario was in "covid lock-down" at that time. The boat needed cleaning badly. Dealer had no staff for clean up or pre-delivery check. As I worked on exterior, my wife would keep calling to me "oh, you are not going to like this". Multiple chips in the floor, one resulting in a 1" crack, now about 2" just aft of the bench seat right side. A number of these chips throughout like something dropped on it in factory. Ordered the Simrad, it did not work so I started looking and found the cabling had only made it up to the fuel tank area. I was able to find with endoscope, fish it out, hook things up, install card and get things working. The large phillips screws that mount the roof were finger loose at floor so I tightened all as well as seat mounts all 45-180 degree. Several of the screws from the seats fell out as well, all tightened. My roof mat was all curled up at one edge and shrunk where some liquid has stained it and the roof is cracked around the circumference of the grab handle mount due to way overtightening and poor design. The pads along the insides are mounted uneven. Lots of gel coat issues, possible more than on my 32 year old Chapparal. Many photos sent and viewed by service tech whilst performing a warranty repair to reverse gate module. I filled out the survey (apparently the second one as they thanked me for my reply of the first survey I never saw) the survey focused in on how quality is Scarab key issue. It has been several weeks now with no reply to these issues. I will seek legal actions if not taken care of. Otherwise I do like the boat and we do see some water here on Lake Erie. Hope this is making some of you feel a little better. I will post a reply as things progress. Tim