• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Trailer brakes

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the 2015 Scarab custom powder coated trailer for a 215. Mine needed some rebuilding so I thought I would pass along the info. From what I can tell by looking at mine, The trailer is assembled by Fabrique using tie Down Engineering parts. I found a place in MA called trailerpartsdepot.com for parts and they seem very reasonable. Here is the snap shot of the assembly part #82100. It includes the Integral Hub and disc, all assembled with bearings, caps and covers, an aluminum caliper and pads. Basically a plug and play setup for about $136.00. I recently put new pads when I noticed the bearings were going and the discs were rotted so for me, the whole kit was not necessary. I just ordered the discs and bearings for both sides for around $235 with shipping. I just thought I would pass this along because I think it's a heck of a package for that money. I haven't received parts yet so obviously do your homework to make sure parts are correct for your application. Info in pics below

Attachments

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Worked out well, replaced both sides - hub/discs , bearings, caps etc and the total was $205. Something I found interesting was the spindles on this trailer have a grease fitting at the end for delivering grease to the back bearing for maintenance. I will post a photo of the fitting and one side completed. Ready for the cap. My goal in this case was to get this trailer functional and safe so I can sell it and get an aluminum one. On a side note I read on the internet that Dexter Axel acquired all the axel, brake and actuator assets of Tie Down Engineering. Not sure what that means for Tie Down as a company? Maybe their out of the trailer business? Here's the pics.IMG_8411.JPG IMG_8407.JPG

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Do you trailer the boat a lot or just salt water corrosion caused the maintenance?

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you trailer the boat a lot or just salt water corrosion caused the maintenance?
I live about 15 min from the boat ramp and I trailer back and forth. I go out once or twice a week. I purchase a parking permit so I can leave my truck and trailer on site while we're on the water. The salt water is rough on the powdered coated steel. It's really a fresh Water trailer but I figured I would keep after it, rinse it and touch up any scratches, try to get some use out of it because there's not a lot of value in used trailers, especially a steel one in this area. Turns out it's to much to keep after. The salt is relentless. It's still a very solid trailer , just the fringe stuff is bubbling up. The fenders, tail light brackets and suspension. All still very solid but bubbling up quit a bit on the edges.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I just purchased 2 kits as my originals are completely rusted now. I got them from Marine Parts Source under the name Dexter (DEX-82100), Paid 284.14 w/ free shipping. Thanks for the all the previous info, took all the guess work out.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad it was helpful. My scarab and trailer are long gone and I’m glad to be rid of the Scarab. Got nervous with all the chatter, then I had my own bad experience at the dealership. That sealed the deal for me. I sold it and haven’t got a new boat yet. Doing some motorcycle tours while I can still hold up 1k lbs of bike. I’ll go back to boating later and I’ll prob get a Monterey Blackfin with an Outboard.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Glad it was helpful. My scarab and trailer are long gone and I’m glad to be rid of the Scarab. Got nervous with all the chatter, then I had my own bad experience at the dealership. That sealed the deal for me. I sold it and haven’t got a new boat yet. Doing some motorcycle tours while I can still hold up 1k lbs of bike. I’ll go back to boating later and I’ll prob get a Monterey Blackfin with an Outboard.
We're you able to get your money out of the boat?

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I guess I got my money. Not sure you ever recover from a boat but the use counts for something. Sold it around August of 2017 and let’s just say the guy that bought it got a hell of a deal on a beautiful boat. It had about 120 hours and I just got it back from dealer service. They did complete service and inspection, replaced pump seals and some other stuff under warranty. I priced it cheap and got what I was asking. He got a deal, and I was moving on.