• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab Travel Cover - What are these straps and extra poles for?

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When I bought my Scarab 195 I got the optional travel cover. The instructions in the owner's manual is pretty generic. Putting it on seemed pretty simple, especially with the ratchet strap, but there seems to be 2 extra poles and these straps. Anyone know what these are for?

IMG_2079.jpg

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Not sure how it works in the 195, but in the 165 I have the same. They are used to make a tent like structure. One pole at the bow, and one pole at the seating area (keep in mind the layout of the 165). The straps hook on the cleats in all four corners of the boat keeping the stuff vertical and tight. Tarp goes over all of it.

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My travel cover has a snap for a pole in the bow area, and another in the cockpit area. With the poles snapped in and extended, and the ratchet strap, the cover is tight as a drum and makes a good 'tent shape' so everything runs right off. The setup has proven nice and secure at highway speeds. I just can't figure out what to do with those extra poles and straps? If it's so you can do the same with a generic cover or tarp, why would it come with the travel cover?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Interesting. Those poles and straps are exactly what I use on mine. I wonder if you somehow ended up with the 165 pole kit or something of the sort. Hopefully someone knows... otherwise, it looks like it's for a 165! lol

Capt. Disaster

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1348.JPG I'm suggesting that what I'm doing is correct but here's how I put them prior to putting on my cover, which I totally love.
The height of them is adjustable as Reqd, and the round top part is number 1-3. I connect the two poles using hole number 1 but I doubt it matters...

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Looks reasonable. But is it suppose to touch the windshield? Seems like that would be a bad idea in the long run. Or do you adjust it so that it doesn't touch usually?

Otherwise, yeah, a tent shape the way you're doing it should do the trick.

Capt. Disaster

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've always run it over the windshield to give the strap as much support as possible and to create the 'tent' along the centre line of the boat. Hasn't damaged the windshield in any way. I'm sure running it underneath the windshield would also work. I wouldn't trailer it with the centre window open and the cover on - the cover fits so well and the corners of the windshield are sharp.
Love the cover. Great design.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t have a photo but I put the straps through the pull out cleats vs the grab handles, this way no ponding

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So if the top and the poles snap together, do you still need the straps? The set came with 4 poles, the strap set, and the travel cover.

Capt. Disaster

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The straps attached to the round part on the top of the poles and then clipped to the chrome passenger handles secure the poles from moving in any direction.

SCARAB_CDR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I guess I'm not sure why the straps are needed since the 2 poles snap into the cover and don't move around at all. The extra 2 poles and the strap system seems redundant. I guess I'll keep them on standby in case the snaps ever break off.