• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

school me on batteries, my 255xd will get barely 3 to 4hr on float

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So i spent the day out on the 255xd today. I have a Noco Genius 5x2 wired into boat. Had it plugged in all night before we went out today the batteries were topped off. They are Seahawk 24M7 which are starting batteries. Who supplies the batteries for a new boat? Yamaha or the dealer? Why do i have 2 starting batteries? Shouldnt the house be a dual purpose or a deep cycle? Removed the positive from the start battery to ensure the DVSR didnt combine the banks on my overnight charge.

Got out to our spot and went into float mode. Both batteries were at 12.8 on the Connext. 2hrs later the start is at 12.6-12.5 and the house is at 12.3...by the 4hr mark im at 12.4 on the start and 12.0/11.9 on the house. Why is the start dropping too if its not being used or drawn from....and is this house only lasting 4hrs because its a start type battery?

What batteries should i pick up or what should i check to see if theres issues. I dont get why they made the Connext screen have to be on 24/7 in float mode...def aint helping on conserving power.

Thanks for the feedback as always.

lowd77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I think the dealer installs the batteries. I have a start and a deep cycle for the house battery. I haven't been in float mode that long so not sure about longevity. Solar panel seems to help keep them topped off.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think the dealer installs the batteries. I have a start and a deep cycle for the house battery. I haven't been in float mode that long so not sure about longevity. Solar panel seems to help keep them topped off.
ok so these schleps just installed 2 starts like asshats. What else is new with this boat lol

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
the dealer def installs and supplies the batteries. they also always put the cheapest batteries they can in the boats. is not necessarily dropping so fast because its a start battery. they are small group 24's, std lead acid and cheap low quality ones at that. you have an xd model which means all your controls on the boat including the steering are all the seastar optimus system. you need good reliable batteries. all kinds of crazy things start happening if your power is low. i would take both of those batteries out of the boat and replace them. its a big nut but i would put a pair of gp27 northstar pro's in the boat. it was the first thing i did. they are agm ttpl batteries. basically the best you can get and youll never have you worry about it again.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
the dealer def installs and supplies the batteries. they also always put the cheapest batteries they can in the boats. is not necessarily dropping so fast because its a start battery. they are small group 24's, std lead acid and cheap low quality ones at that. you have an xd model which means all your controls on the boat including the steering are all the seastar optimus system. you need good reliable batteries. all kinds of crazy things start happening if your power is low. i would take both of those batteries out of the boat and replace them. its a big nut but i would put a pair of gp27 northstar pro's in the boat. it was the first thing i did. there is no way i am going to rely on.
not group 31s like i keep reading?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go to sams club and get the Duracell AGM group 31 batteries. They are the best battery you can buy for the money. 110 ah for 170 bucks.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
sure you can do gp31's. i just went with 27's because there was very little difference with the northstar's between 27 and 31 as far as reserve capacity. atleast not enough to justify the extra 100 bucks difference. plus the 27's fit perfectly in the spot. whatever you decide be sure you keep both batteries the same type. dont keep a lead acid for the start and an agm for the house for instance.

comparing the gp31 duracells to the northstar pros. if the duracell is 110ah, the northstar pro is 220ah. thats the difference. of course you pay for that so it depends on how much you want to spend really.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dont you have a 3rd switch that parallel/separate the start battery from house battery? if you do, the start is dropping cause you have it set as parallel.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Dont you have a 3rd switch that parallel/separate the start battery from house battery? if you do, the start is dropping cause you have it set as parallel.
the yellow switch is not on parallel. When i switch it to parallel both battery voltages stabilize the same. Ive verified its in correct orientation.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
as for the draw, you are using power on the start side but its extremely minimal. your just keeping the ecu and control systems booted up. over a very long time you will see a drop but nothing like the house batteries which are powering the stereo, etc. if your batteries suck though which it appears they do then the drop will be much quicker and more noticable.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
as for the draw, you are using power on the start side but its extremely minimal. your just keeping the ecu and control systems booted up. over a very long time you will see a drop but nothing like the house batteries which are powering the stereo, etc. if your batteries suck though which it appears they do then the drop will be much quicker and more noticable.
So my batteries just suck lol. Ok looks like im upgrading. Should i even bitch to the dealer that they gave me 2 starts?

On another note, had my boat at the dealer for my punch list, they took care of some of it but low and behold i get out on the water and my port stadium seat was ready to fall off. They removed it to be able to mount the panel that was loose. FML i cant win, im thinking im just going to fix everything myself for now on its worth my sanity.

They fixed my anchor locker, removed the coarse thread screws and thru bolted....BUT 4 holes 3 are thru bolted but with no washers on the back side just the nuts ran right into the fiberglass, and it looks like they ran outta machine screws on the 4th and just shoved a larger diameter coarse thread in the last hole....so im 75% thru bolted lol. Does anyone take pride in their work anymore?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Go to sams club and get the Duracell AGM group 31 batteries. They are the best battery you can buy for the money. 110 ah for 170 bucks.
out of stock unfortunately

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
comparing the gp31 duracells to the northstar pros. if the duracell is 110ah, the northstar pro is 220ah. thats the difference. of course you pay for that so it depends on how much you want to spend really.
I don't know where you are getting the 220ah from. No Group 27 battery produced at this time can provide that kind of power. I have spent hours and hours researching batteries, and the Duracell Group 31 AGM battery from Sam's Club is by far the best bang for the buck for AGM batteries. You could get 6v Flooded acid batteries, which would be best for deep cycle, but I like the no maintenance of the AGM.

Duracell battery linked below:

I am assuming this is the battery you are referencing:

1623074786040.png

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
out of stock unfortunately

You can get the same battery from batteries plus, but costs about $70 more. Still the best AGM battery I have been able to find for the money. You can call your local Sam's club and maybe they could tell you when they expect a delivery. Where are you located?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
yes. you can also go with odyssey extreme. they are the same company and battery just a different label.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The AGM batteries from BatteriesPlus come with an extra 12 month of warranty for the extra 70 dollars for a total of 30 months warranty. You will need a nice on-board charger to have the batteries charged properly for longevity. If you are running two separate banks, you can have a flooded acid battery for starting and an AGM for deep cycle, you just want to keep them isolated as much as possible. If you want to have two batteries for your house battery, get two of the same batteries that are around the same age. If you buy two at separate times, and the old one doesn't hold the voltage as long, it will draw the power down on the new battery as well.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
the dealer def installs and supplies the batteries. they also always put the cheapest batteries they can in the boats. is not necessarily dropping so fast because its a start battery. they are small group 24's, std lead acid and cheap low quality ones at that. you have an xd model which means all your controls on the boat including the steering are all the seastar optimus system. you need good reliable batteries. all kinds of crazy things start happening if your power is low. i would take both of those batteries out of the boat and replace them. its a big nut but i would put a pair of gp27 northstar pro's in the boat. it was the first thing i did. they are agm ttpl batteries. basically the best you can get and youll never have you worry about it again.
1623076228164.png

i dont see anything about GP....which one the nsb-agm27m?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The AGM batteries from BatteriesPlus come with an extra 12 month of warranty for the extra 70 dollars for a total of 30 months warranty. You will need a nice on-board charger to have the batteries charged properly for longevity. If you are running two separate banks, you can have a flooded acid battery for starting and an AGM for deep cycle, you just want to keep them isolated as much as possible. If you want to have two batteries for your house battery, get two of the same batteries that are around the same age. If you buy two at separate times, and the old one doesn't hold the voltage as long, it will draw the power down on the new battery as well.
i have a noco genius 5x2 installed so i can charge diff chemistry at same time, but honestly im just gonna buy 2 and bite the bullet.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You can get the same battery from batteries plus, but costs about $70 more. Still the best AGM battery I have been able to find for the money. You can call your local Sam's club and maybe they could tell you when they expect a delivery. Where are you located?
Toms River NJ 08755