• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Screws Backing Out Of Transom Seats On Scarab Boat

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just an FYI...I found that ALL of the screws in the transom seating were backing out due to vibration etc. So take a look at the screws on each side of the seating and the ones fastening the seats to the body of the boat to make sure you are not missing any as I am sure this would make for a bad day. Their are a couple that you will need a stubby screwdriver to work with or a ratchet set with a phillips head. I remedied this with Loc Tite on every screw.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just an FYI...I found that ALL of the screws in the transom seating were backing out due to vibration etc. So take a look at the screws on each side of the seating and the ones fastening the seats to the body of the boat to make sure you are not missing any as I am sure this would make for a bad day. Their are a couple that you will need a stubby screwdriver to work with or a ratchet set with a phillips head. I remedied this with Loc Tite on every screw.
Not being all that familiar with your boat I have to ask, into what material are these fasteners driven?

If it's fiberglass then I would recommend a two-part epoxy - the Loc Tite brand epoxy will work fine, or 3M 5200 or even gorilla glue in a pinch.
I wouldn't recommend the Loc Tite thread locker which is designed for use between metal surfaces. The thread lockers (blue or red) aren't suitable for use on plastics, FRP, etc. (can melt it)

If they have embedded hardware into or behind the FRP and the fasteners are therefore metal to metal than the threadlocker is fine, blue would be my choice just in case it has to come apart. :cool:

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I can show you better than I can tell you....but I will try....the transom seating has metal plates connected to the seats by the screws I was referencing. Those screws look to go into metal threads inside the cushion. Where they go into on the bottom portion (fiberglass) I am not sure if there is a nut underneath or not. But thanks for the info on that part. It would stand to reason using epoxy and the dealer fixed those and have had no more issues with them ( I should have clarified). I fixed the ones in the seats. Nice pic by the way!

ptdavidson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I looked and these screws all go into aluminum backing plates. You DO NOT want to use epoxy! All you will need to use is blue loctite and you will not need to do it again.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just had my entire power plant door pop open on me as I drove down the highway...this is all that holds the latch to the seat, to the locking bolt point. Seriously Scarab...the wood screw completely pulled out.

Attachments

Last edited:

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So my plan is to use a stainless bolt and then a flat nut on top with a washer.

Attachments

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
20150630_110509.jpg 20150701_113335.jpg 20150630_110509.jpg 20150701_113335.jpg 20150630_110509.jpg 20150701_113335.jpg Thats my Plan anyways. ...anyone have a better idea?

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a few of the bolts loosen as well. I took @ptdavidson advise with the blue locktite, and it worked. @PapaBear Can you let us know how your fix worked? Looks like Ill be making another Home Depot visit.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So this is what I did. I used stainless parts. I purchased these bolts with a lock washer and an over size flat washer. There was just enough threads to penetrate the deck, the spacer,and the latch. I sprayed anti corrosion spray and I used gorilla tape on the deck around the wholes to make sure the fiberglass doesn't chip any more than it has. Then over the top of the bolts as a cushion/barrier for the seat cover. This was a really quick fix. I'm sure you could get more creative.

Attachments

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am disappointed at the design of this.
I think I may have caused this or at least sped up the process of these wood screws pulling through.
I have been pulling my boat 65mph with the seats in the normal sitting position and I think this caused drag which in turn created a force on the latch assembly.
Maybe?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I do believe I mentioned this very exact issue in my first review of the scarab boats when I went to the boat show 2 years ago. it's sad to think that they still didn't fix it.

Ken Mendel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just purchased a beautiful 2014 Scarab 195 HO (30 hrs) and noticed the outboard top screws on my transom seats completely backed out. When I tried to tighten them, they do not tighten. What's inside the seat that they should attach to? Is there a wood frame inside the cushion? I'd like to try a larger diameter or longer screw, but it would help to know if that would help or hurt the situation. Thanks

Ken Mendel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Mike - thanks -- it worked!!! Just raised the engine cover for access and blue locktite

Mill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I just purchased a beautiful 2014 Scarab 195 HO (30 hrs) and noticed the outboard top screws on my transom seats completely backed out. When I tried to tighten them, they do not tighten. What's inside the seat that they should attach to? Is there a wood frame inside the cushion? I'd like to try a larger diameter or longer screw, but it would help to know if that would help or hurt the situation. Thanks
I had The same exact issue with the same exact boat. anyone have any suggestions?

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I’ve got a 215, and all the seat screws loosened over time. I was re-attaching the upholstery on the versa lounge seats, and realized all the screws were loose. I backed them all the way out and put blue loctite on the threads. They screw into metal, so loctite is the best solution.

gRobi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Same here 215ID locktide it and push it all the way in. I had to get a good amount of pressure on it to reach the thread.