• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SeaDoo boats to return to market!

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
At the risk of passing on gossip, I just heard that BRP will begin making and selling boats again. Apparently, they have re-crunched the numbers, after buying a good bit of manufacturing capacity all around the world and have severe FOMO about boats and will be jumping back in to the market. Could be interesting.

Richard Bares

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the risk of passing on gossip, I just heard that BRP will begin making and selling boats again. Apparently, they have re-crunched the numbers, after buying a good bit of manufacturing capacity all around the world and have severe FOMO about boats and will be jumping back in to the market. Could be interesting.
I'm curious how this is going to work after they basically sold their business to Scarab.

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm curious how this is going to work after they basically sold their business to Scarab.
Good point, in Scarab they basically created one of the main comperetors in the segment. However, any meaningful market share they get will have to be taken from Yamaha.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Im not sure.. They announced last year that they were discontinuing Evinrude OBs.. which is a shame. I cant see them focusing on anything aside from skis tbh. Especially since Scarab has a large portion of the non-yamaha market dominated. it just doesnt make sense to me, unless they decide to make an "entry level" Jet boat, leaving scarab to make all of BRP's "premium Jet boats?? But even this makes no sense, because then what is Glastron LOL

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Im not sure.. They announced last year that they were discontinuing Evinrude OBs.. which is a shame. I cant see them focusing on anything aside from skis tbh. Especially since Scarab has a large portion of the non-yamaha market dominated. it just doesnt make sense to me, unless they decide to make an "entry level" Jet boat, leaving scarab to make all of BRP's "premium Jet boats?? But even this makes no sense, because then what is Glastron LOL
Even glastron called it quits in the jet boat market. I don't see a scenario where Seadoo comes back into the boat market.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is plenty of room for boats 15ft to 18ft range. None are made now, and they were the most popular in the beginning.

They could make the "Spark" of boats and open up a "new" market segment.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good point, in Scarab they basically created one of the main comperetors in the segment. However, any meaningful market share they get will have to be taken from Yamaha.
Color me skeptical as well. Unless the Scarab management team is inept, they must have discussed this possibility during negotiations with BRP and had some type of assurance to guard their investment. It would be foolish for Scarab to make a commitment only to get undercut by BRP if they suddenly decided to get back in the jet boat business.

As for BRP cutting into Yamaha's market share, I'm skeptical of that as well. I think Scarab boats are nice but the deciding factor for me when I bought a jet boat was the Yamaha power plant. I just trust Yamaha engines more than BRP. If anyone should be worried about losing market share it would be Scarab and Vortex as those owners have already decided that BRP engines are preferable.

Just my .02c

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
With BRP consolidating the Alumicraft, Manitou, Quintrex, Stacer, and Savage brands (and factories) the new Seadoo boats may contain some aluminum technology!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like their stated intent is to focus on the boat industry by supplying engines, and engine packages to current boat manufactures.

BRP ADVANCES MARINE STRATEGY BY FOCUSING ON BOATS AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES | BRP
That announcement last year is what started the rumor as stated by the OP. Longtime owners of SeaDoo Boats read it to mean that SeaDoo boats were coming back. When it actually meant, they would concentrate efforts on the existing boat lines they already owned as stated in the letter.

Those boat lines have plants, distribution channels and dealer networks as well as satisfied customers for reference. All of the above do not exist anymore for SeaDoo, and their dealers may be the hardest to sway back to selling boats.

So the rumor of them coming back with their own boats is just that. Rumor created by those hoping for something that will not happen.

Believe me, I know the feeling. I once owned a SeaDoo X20, still own a Buell Motorcycle, and still run a true Japanese Yamaha snowmobile. I know what it feels like to be left behind by an MFG.

(Is it something I did?) HA

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With BRP consolidating the Alumicraft, Manitou, Quintrex, Stacer, and Savage brands (and factories) the new Seadoo boats may contain some aluminum technology!
Didn't someone find a patent in the last year for putting a jet powerplant into the center toon of a tri-toon boat? I can't find it to save my butt right now, but I distinctly remember seeing it and spending a good evening or two trying to convince my neighbor to let me cut up his Berkshire to try it with a couple Jetski drivelines :D

Would love to see a "low cost" Pavati alternative as well. Full aluminum hulled pleasure boat with Jet propulsion. I suspect there are some weight penalties with aluminum over fiberglass that causes that setup to not work well.

I could also see Sea-Doo coming back in a different market of "river boats" that are short and aluminum hulled for fishing/river running like those crazy guys down in Australia. Not sure how to get around American lawyers, but if there's a will there's a way. Especially if they think there's a market there.

Just some random thoughts :D

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would love to see a "low cost" Pavati alternative as well. Full aluminum hulled pleasure boat with Jet propulsion. I suspect there are some weight penalties with aluminum over fiberglass that causes that setup to not work well.
After seeing the performance of the Bennington TriToon on our dock with a 150 Yamaha outboard, there is no way I would want a jet. It's such an efficient powerplant, and so quiet. It would be tough to find any benefit that could outweigh those factors that ruin the Tritoon/pontoon experience with a jet.

As far as tow boats, if the jet actually got the cost down, that would be the biggest benefit. Otherwise, the torque of a V-drive is what is needed in a tow boat. There isn't a cost effective jet that can do what they do, the way they do it.

I don't quite get the statement on weight penalties. Aluminum boats of similar size should be lighter than fiberglass/gelcote. The Pavai may be the only exception, as I think they use some of the craziest amounts of metal of any boat builder.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After seeing the performance of the Bennington TriToon on our dock with a 150 Yamaha outboard, there is no way I would want a jet. It's such an efficient powerplant, and so quiet. It would be tough to find any benefit that could outweigh those factors that ruin the Tritoon/pontoon experience with a jet.

As far as tow boats, if the jet actually got the cost down, that would be the biggest benefit. Otherwise, the torque of a V-drive is what is needed in a tow boat. There isn't a cost effective jet that can do what they do, the way they do it.

I don't quite get the statement on weight penalties. Aluminum boats of similar size should be lighter than fiberglass/gelcote. The Pavai may be the only exception, as I think they use some of the craziest amounts of metal of any boat builder.
You're not wrong on any of those.

Only benefit to a tri-toon is a revised layout that doesn't include the outboard. Imagine a floating barge with ALL sides easily accessible. Same reason some of them run an I/O setup in the center toon. I know it's completely apples to oranges, but neighbhors 24ft tri-toon with 150 Merc uses about twice the fuel of my little 190. Not sure how the fuel burn compares to a comparable 24ft et though. I would guess the jets don't make as big of an impact on efficiency as we think they do. Hard to know in that whack-a-doo arrangement though :D

When looking at boat weights, I would expect an aluminum hull to be heavier than a fiberglass hull of same size to maintain structure. I haven't looked at the numbers to really know though. Just what feels intuitive to me. I might be jaded by the overly thin walls on my 190 though.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You're not wrong on any of those.

Only benefit to a tri-toon is a revised layout that doesn't include the outboard. Imagine a floating barge with ALL sides easily accessible. Same reason some of them run an I/O setup in the center toon. I know it's completely apples to oranges, but neighbhors 24ft tri-toon with 150 Merc uses about twice the fuel of my little 190. Not sure how the fuel burn compares to a comparable 24ft et though. I would guess the jets don't make as big of an impact on efficiency as we think they do. Hard to know in that whack-a-doo arrangement though :D

When looking at boat weights, I would expect an aluminum hull to be heavier than a fiberglass hull of same size to maintain structure. I haven't looked at the numbers to really know though. Just what feels intuitive to me. I might be jaded by the overly thin walls on my 190 though.
That makes complete sense on space savings. The outboard does change the whole layout of the stern of the boat. I had not thought of it that way. But fuel efficiency would only be worse on that outboard if you were running it WOT. As it takes plenty to push his 24' Tri up to 30. But cruising, that's a different story. Pushing around 15 people for weeks on his 35 gallon tank. It literally sips fuel. But obviously too many variables to compare.

In the fishing boat world, aluminum boats from 16-24' long will weigh much less than a comparable fiberglass boat. In fact, larger HP outboards is what has allowed some boat MFG's to go back to making fiberglass fishing boats, as they are quite a bit heavier in comparison.

The only reason I bring up Pavati in my previous statement, is those boats are overbuilt. Sort of like the aluminum river boats. Much heavier metal, and much more put into the strength of the hull and welds. They are true works of art for sure.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That announcement last year is what started the rumor as stated by the OP. Longtime owners of SeaDoo Boats read it to mean that SeaDoo boats were coming back. When it actually meant, they would concentrate efforts on the existing boat lines they already owned as stated in the letter.

Those boat lines have plants, distribution channels and dealer networks as well as satisfied customers for reference. All of the above do not exist anymore for SeaDoo, and their dealers may be the hardest to sway back to selling boats.

So the rumor of them coming back with their own boats is just that. Rumor created by those hoping for something that will not happen.

Believe me, I know the feeling. I once owned a SeaDoo X20, still own a Buell Motorcycle, and still run a true Japanese Yamaha snowmobile. I know what it feels like to be left behind by an MFG.

(Is it something I did?) HA
Can you imagine the noise from a 1.8 yamaha in an aluminum pontoon?! You'd wake the dead from 1000 yards.