• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Searay svr185 diy jet seadoo 110 hp

bernieturn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hi there
Never got a jet boat before due here in austria its not very common...but just got an offer for a searay hull with 110hp searay jetstuff attached.
Motor is fucked, but I wanna attach a stronger one anyways.
My question : Does it make sense to plug a stronger engine (ca 150hp) instead of the original 110ps one or do I need a bigger jet then.
Thank you for a helpfull answer ..or more
Bernie

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my experience Jet boat engine repower are not easy. The body of the boat Hull pump are designed with the engine in mind.

From all the conversions i have heard of, they are done for hobby and to explore what is possible. They are never economically feasible. I saw a seadoo upgrade that included the pump and Hull graft from the donating jet ski.

I saw Mexican seadoo converted to outboards in Cancun club med.

Either same engine or other boat, unless you like a challenge and money is no object.

Everything is possible, but won't be worth it cost wise.

bernieturn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hi Thank You for your opinion. Due its only 300 bucks and I have some td engines laying around, I think I m gonna choose the challenge.... I miswrote in my thread above ,,theres a SEADOO jet (not searay) attached to the SERAY hull....so its a bastard anyways. Even if it will perform badly in combination with the hull maybe..... would a little more horsepower (like 150 ) of an om606 300td benz machine that I ve got make a difference and improve the power created by the jet ?...or does a stronger engine always require a bigger nozzle diameter ? I m new in that technik...wanna experiment a bit...and prefer to ask before I fuck up direction complete.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You may have to gear the engine/select engine based your needed target rpm. 300 hp at 5000rpm won't help you much on the jet boat. Original Max rpm is probably 6800 to 8000 rpm? (Wild guess)

If you could get some details on existing engine and/or pump that may be helpful hitting that Max rpm or above will be important for performance.

bernieturn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
yes it needs around 7000rpm...My engine has 174 hp@4400 rpm ..and I can use gear box.....but I guess that will be too much and will need bigger jet probably

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Chain gear? New pump and new engine seems very ambitious unless it's a graft and you bring the Hull, pump and engine mounts with it. Don't forget exhaust system.

Best of luck

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have never done any jet tuning, but you may be able to repitch the impeller to compensate for the added power. That is the only difference between the pumps on the Yamaha 190 and 192's. I have heard of people boring out the nozzle a few millimeters too.

bernieturn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Chain gear? New pump and new engine seems very ambitious unless it's a graft and you bring the Hull, pump and engine mounts with it. Don't forget exhaust system.

Best of luck
Toothed belt and bit smaller engine will do fine I guess...thank you for the tips... The low price of the unit wont let me fuck up too much :)...due I have Motors as well.

bernieturn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have never done any jet tuning, but you may be able to repitch the impeller to compensate for the added power. That is the only difference between the pumps on the Yamaha 190 and 192's. I have heard of people boring out the nozzle a few millimeters too.
Yeah guess nI can repitch impeller...have looked technic up in the net.My nozzle is only 90mm..that is rather small ...isnt it ??? ..have no comparison..no/few jetboaters/jetboats around here. I dont want to win any races...just wanna make something out of that hull which comes with jet already

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep us posted on your progress, should be a fun project!

bernieturn

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Other
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I will...but will start in spring...hull is in hamburg/germany...me in vienna/austria...and cant just float down the danube :) yes should be fun...lots of time to plan till start of project.
Thank you, have fun !