• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seating capacity

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
230 series seating capacity is 10 across the board? My boat didnt come with a capacity rating plaque. I saw the USCG says widthxlength/15 for max which would be 12.5 or something.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat didnt come with a capacity rating plaque.
Wow! I just "Googled" and saw that Federal Law only requires a capacity plate on boats less than 20'!
Never knew that!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t understand, I thought that only “yacht certified” boats were exempt from the sticker...
Furthermore, I have been under the impression that it would be illegal for me to have more passengers in my boat than the sticker says, enforcement notwithstanding...

Am I wrong? I don’t want to argue with Google, LOL.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just called my wifelife officer friend. Your suppose to go by the sticker but they won’t ticket you for it. It’s more about if you were to have a wreck and be civilly liable

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two separate explanations that I found:

1 - "Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, boats less than 20 feet powered with an inboard, outboard, or stern drive engine manufactured after November 1, 1972, must display a capacity plate defining the safe load limits. This plate must be mounted where you can see it when preparing to get underway. Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and inflatable boats are exempt from this standard states do have statutes prohibiting the carriage of people and gear in excess of the stated capacity, or the installation of a motor that exceeds the recommended horse power limit. Also, you may void your insurance policy if you are found to have exceeded the limits stated on your capacity plate."

2 - "On August 1, 1973, the USCG effected a regulation, Title 33, Code of Federal Regulation, Section 183, requiring all monohull boats under 20ft. (except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats) carry a plate posting the Maximum Weight Capacity, Maximum Persons Capacity and Maximum Horsepower Ratings. Boats constructed before this date may have these items posted but may not be in compliance with CFR 183.

These capacity plates can be found near the helm. These plates are yellow with a silver/gray background. Boats that are under 20 ft. have capacity plates labeled "U.S. Coast Guard Maximum Capacities". Boats up to 26ft carry just the "Maximum Capacities" wording.

Boaters are required by law, to obey these safe loading capacities posted on these plates. In addition to the USCG approved weight, load, and horsepower capacities, NMMA Certified boats also list other standards by which they are certified which may include navigation lights, flotation, maneuverability, compartment ventilation, steering, fuel, and electrical systems. If you see the NMMA logo and the words National Marine Manufacturers Association, you can be assured that the boat meets additional industry standards above and beyond the USCG regulations. "

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
oooh. so next time Imma fill that sucka up to the gills! Or maybe I won't. I like to live my life day by day...

@Wisefam22 what are you planning on doing though?

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Specs I found for a 2007 SX230 HO

Number of Engines: 2
Rated Horsepower: 320 hp
Engine Type: 4-Cylinder, 4-Stroke
Displacement: 1052cc
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Type of Intake: EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection)
Starting: Electric
Ignition: Digital CDI
Pumps: 155mm High-Presure Axial Flow
Transmission: Direct Drive From Engines
Impeller: 3-Blade, Stainless Steel
Overall Length: 23 ft. (7m)
Beam: 8 ft. & 6 in. (2.6m)
Draft: 16 in. (.5m)
Dry Weight: 3,170 lbs (1437 kg)
Fuel Capacity: 50 gal (189 l)
Oil Capacity: 1.22 gal (4.5 l) per engine
Vehicle Capacity: 10 person/1,800lbs (818kg)
Storage Compartments: 10
Dead Rise: 20 degrees
Warranty: 1 year limited, 5 year hull
Color: Warm Grey or Blue
Price starting at: 35,999 USD

I'm surprised that you don't have a plate. I have an '06 SX210 and I have one. Mine is just under the throttles next to the driver seat.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can see where it was, but idk if it cracked or what. It's not there

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t understand, I thought that only “yacht certified” boats were exempt from the sticker...
Furthermore, I have been under the impression that it would be illegal for me to have more passengers in my boat than the sticker says, enforcement notwithstanding...

Am I wrong? I don’t want to argue with Google, LOL.

This is why I am asking lol the specs I found online say 10 but coast guard test says something else. I am sure 10 is safe as I cant see more comfortably fitting was just curious.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should have clarified bought boat used.