• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Second Anchor Recommendations

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that it is getting warmer, my secret lunch and swim spot if getting crowded. I have been using the yamaha anchor at about 7-8 feet deep with very little rode and it holds fine. I would like to get something for the back so it doesnt swing around as boats pass me to find a spot. There is very little movement in the water here and just a few wakes from passing boats. Would a 20 lb Navy anchor do the trick?

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a Richter which requires very little scope. I find it easier in tight quarters than a Danforth. I also carry a mushroom anchor for holding the stern in low current locations

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a Mantus for my primary and will be using the yamaha one for the stern as a second anchor. Great Excuse to get the Mantus 8lb.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve always loved having an anchor that lays nice and flat to anchor the stern. When we spend so much time out back, I hate to trip over an anchor like the “bear trap” box anchor I use off the bow. As others have said, it’s just keeping it from swinging.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Valid Point... .Go Mushroom?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Someone asked that on one of the yamaha facebook groups too. Mushroom anchors are nearly worthless I used to use one for the waverunners, and that’s about it.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I use the 7 lb danforth for the stern, I use a 30lb River anchor for the bow. 30lbs is more than I need for my 192 but keeps boat stationary with wind and chop. Just a pain lift over side of boat when ready to get underway.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mantus M1 finally came. Very cool looking anchor. Got the 8lb. Should hold well.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I actually found the first bottom that my box anchor would not hold this past weekend. Sandy-mud with a heavy wind. It just wound not hold with all my line out.

So the bow swings around, and my smaller stern anchor holds and the combo of the pair held it nicely across the wind. all is good and no swing.

So the lesson learned, have two different types of anchors, as they should both hold in most conditions, but in some, one my hold better than the other, and you are still good.

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, after about a month with my new boat, I have a little experience. I purchased an 8lb fluke anchor that fits in the front locker for the front, an 18lb river anchor for the rear, and a large Shore Spike for shallow water anchoring the front or rear.

My absolute favorite is the large Shore Spike with a carabiner anchor line. Goes in quickly, rock solid, and easy to remove. I use this at our lake's sand bar to anchor the front or rear. The river anchor has done really well holding the rear during heavy winds/storms and works much better than a standard mushroom anchor on my SX190.

18lb River anchor: WEST MARINE Economy River Anchors | West Marine

Shore Spike: Shore Spike — Slide Anchor

Anchor line: Amazon.com : Rainier Supply Co Double Braided Nylon Anchor Rope - 50' x 1/4" Anchor Line/Boat Anchor Rope with 316SS Thimble and Heavy Duty Marine Grade Snap Hook - Boat Accessories, Black : Sports & Outdoors

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I run FX-11 out the bow with 12' of 5/8" chain behind it and then large box anchor off the aft (with no chain on the rode). Works great for me. Even better that I use an alderny ring and a buoy to pull my FX-11 up when I'm ready to go.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So, after about a month with my new boat, I have a little experience. I purchased an 8lb fluke anchor that fits in the front locker for the front, an 18lb river anchor for the rear, and a large Shore Spike for shallow water anchoring the front or rear.
How does the river anchor hold up as a stern anchor? I have that as my main anchor, usually does a pretty good job, as our waters are just sandy bottoms. When people are on board, it holds is firm. When we start moving around and jumping off at the beach, we swing like crazy. I have a fluke anchor and 50' of rope in the garage. Was thinking of using the fluke as a main anchor, and just dropping the river anchor off the stern when we anchor close to beach to stop some of the swinging...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Still love my small box anchor - only complaint I have is the spring mechanism can be a PITA to undo when it gets jammed with sand particles. Other than that it's held every time.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ordered a small box anchor earlier in the week and should arrive on Thursday. Sounds like it's idiot proof so right up my alley. :)

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
if you can reach <3' water I like the slide anchor shore spike, works in the beach or shallow water.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Ordered a small box anchor earlier in the week and should arrive on Thursday. Sounds like it's idiot proof so right up my alley. :)
They're great - but be prepared to tell everyone about that "anchor that looks like a bear trap..."

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does the river anchor hold up as a stern anchor? I have that as my main anchor, usually does a pretty good job, as our waters are just sandy bottoms. When people are on board, it holds is firm. When we start moving around and jumping off at the beach, we swing like crazy. I have a fluke anchor and 50' of rope in the garage. Was thinking of using the fluke as a main anchor, and just dropping the river anchor off the stern when we anchor close to beach to stop some of the swinging...
I think if you have a minimum 18-20lb river anchor, it would work fine as a stern anchor for your boat. Not sure that it matters, but I tie my stern anchor to the opposite side of the bow anchor. Not much force pushes on the rear if you face the bow into the wind and boat wake.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I think if you have a minimum 18-20lb river anchor, it would work fine as a stern anchor for your boat. Not sure that it matters, but I tie my stern anchor to the opposite side of the bow anchor. Not much force pushes on the rear if you face the bow into the wind and boat wake.
Give it a try yesterday while out on the water for Canada Day! worked great! I switched my 18lb river anchor to the back, and just dropped it when the front fluke anchor set itself. Even with people jumping off the back of the boat and the dozens of jet ski wakes, we hardly moved. Remained stern towards the beach for the entire stay!

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I use the slide box anchor on my AR195 and it's held well, but it did struggle in a windy situation on Flaming Gorge last week. 30 mph winds and I tried different scope ratios between 3:1 to 7:1, and I couldn't get it to hold even for a minute. The anchor dragged across the bottom and came out with the tangs covered in mud over and over. I think I needed something that would dig in deeper in that situation. Since we frequent Flaming Gorge and sudden but short lived windy conditions are common, I'd like to find another anchor that can hold in soft muddy bottom conditions with high winds.