• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Second day LS 2000 took a crap! HELP!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey guys. I did do some searches for my issue but would like to ask for some help. We just bought a 2000 LS 2000 yesterday. Test drive it for an hour with zero issues. Today it fired right up and we tore up the lake for about 20 minutes. Then we lost all propulsion. The engines would rev but we would barely move. I pulled the blow outside and could not feel anything. 5 minutes later both engines would sputter. We were just trying to make it back to the dock. The engines started to randomly die and low and behold the engine compartment was now half full of water. We had the drain plug in. We made it back, but the engine compartment was not draining with the bilge on. Idk where that water came from. Any help would be appreciated.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cleanout plugs not set perfectly will allow water intrusion like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Gym
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Mine are so difficult to get to seat. Any recomendations? Would that cause my power problem?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine are so difficult to get to seat. Any recomendations? Would that cause my power problem?
Absolutely. It would feel like cavitation/impeller slippage/ extreme loss of thrust.

Aside from your engines which may need attention if any water was aspired, sounds like the cleanout plugs rebuilt kits are in your future! Along with the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC EZ locks.

I’m not familiar with the LS models so I could be off. Hopefully experts will chime in, I’m just trying to help with my 0.02!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Cavitation and extreme power loss is exactly what it felt like.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I cant get the port to seat at all. I'm about to put a little oil it. But that wouldn't effect the starboard engine.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cant get the port to seat at all. I'm about to put a little oil it. But that wouldn't effect the starboard engine.
It would if it any water made it into air intakes.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check the oil to see if water got in through the air intake. Port side intake is lower so could be in one and not the other. If so, take pictures of water line in engine compartment for insurance purposes. Also, port covers may seem to secure but you really have to tug at them to make sure. I pour water on mine and they slip right in. And as @swatski said, EZ locks before your next outing. I added a high water alarm too.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are on the water and need help with engines dying - you may want to use the emergency tag “@ help” (no space) - just insert it in the post.

That will page expert forum members to help.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks, we made it off. At 4k rpm, port engine about 5 mph

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When those things blow, sometimes they lodge in the tube and manipulate the shape of the tube creating an opening for water to get into the engine compartment. When you get a chance, check to see that the tubes are still hose clamped securely at the top.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Will do, headed back to the lake. Will provide pictures also.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like cavitation and the plug not being seated as others pointed out. If you got water in the engine, remove the spark plugs, remove the safety lanyard, and turn over the engines to get the excess water out. You should then run the engine immediately so you don’t get any rusting. This is very important if you are in salt water but it is critical either way.

It doesn’t sound like you have the cobra ez-locks on your plugs since you can’t install the lock if the plug isn’t seated.... if you don’t have the ez-locks, get those asap as well to avoid a plug blowout!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It does have those, except I cant get the plug back in now. Not sure if it was seated properly before the incident, because first thing I did was pull them to check for obstruction.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Some people have suggested swapping the plugs to the other sides. For some reason, that sometimes helps. Maybe try that.(?)

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Also, my bilge pump couldn't keep up obviously there was 4 or 5 inches of water in my engine compartment. But it only seemed to leak water into it while I was running it. Kill the motors and I could scoop it out with a large bottle.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Was that as high as it got or was it half full earlier? If only that high, you’re probably in good shape engine wise.