• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Security Camera DVR systems

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm looking at getting/installing some sort of security camera and DVR system at home and I know some people on here have them.

I'm curious to know what you like and don't like about the system that you have?
What are some of the must have features or options to look for?

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a Samsung system from Sam's Club, they have decent systems. It depends if you want or need any type of zoom, or the night vision you want

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have had a Swann system now for 6 years and its great. Their customer service is 24/7, so when I periodically get a new router and can't find the F'ing settings document I wrote, I just call them and they do a screen share and re-setup remote access realtime.

I have considered adding a PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) camera, but they are more expensive, and I ran all the wiring for mine while I was having the house re-sided....so running the wires for this wouldn't be easy as it requires more wires.

If I were doing it again, I'd spend the extra money and go HD with a bigger hard drive...but I've not had a situation where I needed it...just my own desire.

We have used the system to find out:
  1. Who drove over our lawn and span their tires churning up grass (cleaners)-they paid to fix
  2. Who drove over our lawn and broke a sprinkler head (contractor being lazy and not moving one of their cars...just drove over the lawn around it)
  3. Which kids messed with our christmas decorations
  4. Who ate the plants on the front porch (deer walked up there!)
I will also look at the system when at work or out of the country to see if my family is home or not...and call them there if they are.

I also use it to mess with my daughter when she's watching TV (we have 2 cameras inside and 10 outside). I will pause the TV with the Harmony Remote app and she shakes her hand at the camera! LOL

You will want as many cameras as you can afford. I have 12 camera on a 16 channel system, and there are probably 2-3 more angles I wish I had on them.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's your budget? How many cams?
Interior or exterior?

Go with Ip cams and a NVR so you can run one CAT6 to your cams and not worry about power wire. (Use POE cams)

Usually the systems you see in Costco and big box stores are functional but not long lasting quality. That's where budget comes into play, for a little more cash you'll get higher resolution and better camera housings that won't turn to dust on the exterior.

Check out some systems at:
Backstreet-surveillance.com

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks all for the details... There are just so many brands out there, it's a bit overwhelming trying to find the best ones out there. Swann and Lorex appear to be front runners, so I have looked at those brands a bit closer so far. Are there other brands that are good that I should look at too?

I don't have a set budget really, but don't have a need to get anything too expensive either. I want 3-4 cameras to start, but would like to be able to add a few more down the line if needed. The cameras will be mounted outdoors and pretty well sheltered from the elements (under eaves, under deck, etc). Also I would like to make sure the DVR system works good and is easy to use, hard to get a feel for that without using it.

I like the IP camera (with POE) route, but other than having just an ethernet cable run, what's the benefit there? The camera specs (for similar price models) look to be about the same (resolution, mounting, etc). It looks like regardless it would be a single wire ran to the cameras (BNC vs Ethernet), so install should be really similar from that angle. Anything I'm missing here to push towards one or the other?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IP is the wave to ride. IP cams can be configured remotely, iris adjusted, settings changed, addition of a ptz is much easier, etc.

Analog cameras will require the RG6 coax AND a 2 conductor power wire or a nearby outlet. Powering from one power supply is good because you can put it on a battery backup.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My system is 7 or 8 years old. If I were to do it again I would go HD and use PTZ cameras to reduce the number of cameras needed to cover the same area.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reolink (check amazon for this brand) is a newer brand out there. Apps for ios, android, mac, and windows make them easy to setup/use and there are wireless options in 4mp. 4mp or higher poe is best when practical. I cant speak for the plastic casing models but the metal casing models have very good build quality.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I Just purchased the Lorex 8 channel 8 camera 2 terabyte HD 1080 Hi def cameras from Costco. They were normally $499. and were $100 off. The cameras were easy to install, Lorex is owned by FLIR (great company) customer service is awesome. Their phone app is easy to set up and easy to use and customize. Lorex offers up to 200' cable runs for $29 direct from them for more remote locations and you can always purchase and sub in a PTZ camera. Im very happy with the purchase and with Costco, you can go back at anytime and return it if you're not happy.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been looking at systems lately ever since my Yeti and case of beer were stolen out of my garage. Been looking at this set up http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12304 just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have also looked at the Blink system.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use a lorex wireless system for my business. It alerts me when there is movement , I can log in through the app. It's awesome and got it at sams as well. I did this after my alarm went off when at 2 am 3 nights in a row and had to go down there with the police.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let me add this. If you go wireless and you see a drastic reduction in your Internet speed it probably the camera system. I had that issue on my wireless issue. I just bought a dual band router and all wifi computers are on the 5 ghz band for wifi. I went from. 50 mbs to 2.5 on the 2.4 ghz band with the wireless system.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I built a 70 camera IP system where I work. Avoid wireless if you can. Cam.

DeadlyFrog

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a total of six wireless ip cameras all feeding a NAS. System works great. Also with over a months worth of history. Use Amcrest and Foscam brand names.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Screenshot_20160727-182106.png

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a CRC Solutions 16 Channel 2TB Hard drive. I bought/self installed 9 cameras in 2012 and went analog because at the time my research led me to believe that IR night vision was better on analog than HD. I ran all the coax/power lines to a single point and have the entire circuit (including internet) on battery back up. While it has worked great, if HD has improved it's NV capability I would prefer HD quality images. That said, this fills the need just fine.

While my alarm is monitored, my video system is not connected to it and is self monitored.

But I am ALWAYS watching. . . . . ; )

20160728_085741.png

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Love all the ideas/systems, thanks for the details from everyone. Keep 'em coming!

I have a total of six wireless ip cameras all feeding a NAS. System works great. Also with over a months worth of history. Use Amcrest and Foscam brand names.
Can you describe this setup with a bit more detail? I get the cameras attached to the network part, but what software do you have to get the feed from the cameras and store it on the NAS? I like the idea of having the video stored locally (already have a NAS at home), but don't want just days and days of video sitting on there without an easy way to view clips that detected motion, etc. How do you manage the video data, or is it stored in a organized way to go back to if you want to view it? (folders by week/day/hour or something?)

mayallen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought two wireless ip cameras from protection plus security solution http://protectionplus.ca/ . To ensure safety make sure that you connect it to a local network.I had mine connected to a local network with a routable IP address.Make sure that you upgrade your firmware to the latest version so that it would not be easily exposed to hackers.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length