• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seiche, anyone heard of this before, examples! One picture was taken at 5:58 pm the other at 7:52 am the next day

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the largest freshwater lake in the world. See the pictures below. I dont only have to deal with large waves, I also have to deal with seiches. Notice the little water feature. One picture was taken at 5:58 pm, the other at 7:52 am the next day! One foot of water depth change in 14 hours, talk about the power on Mother Nature.... It wasn’t even that big of a storm!
at 67B67311-BC89-4B64-9B65-F557178376C3.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where abouts in Lake Superior was the picture taken?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought the largest freshwater was baikal, i read a nat geo article 30 years ago and still think about visiting

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Superior is largest by surface area and Baikal by Volume. I believe.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the either the largest or second largest (depending on how you measure)freshwater lake in the world. See the pictures below. I dont only have to deal with large waves, I also have to deal with seiches. Notice the little water feature. One picture was taken at 5:58 pm, the other at 7:52 am the next day! One foot of water depth change in 14 hours, talk about the power on Mother Nature.... It wasn’t even that big of a storm!
at View attachment 142509
Duluth, Mn.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I revised my definition of largest! Biakal is rumored to be heavily polluted, wouldn’t put it on my bucket list of places to go!

906Tony

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Michigan pushes up pretty good into our bays up here. Raises the water by a foot or more in heavy fall storm surges With high south winds.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just looked it up. Here is a decent quick read and comparision.

10 Largest Lakes in the World (with Map & Photos) - Touropia

@Jimmers Whats the weather like in Duluth right now?
Wait one cotton pickin minute.......the description of Lake Michigan says that it’s dangerous to swim here because of Bull Sharks and Piranhas??

“Not only is its shoreline prone to dangerous rip currents, but bull sharks, piranhas, and snakeheads have been known to frequent its waters.”

I‘ve lived in Wiscsonsion my whole life and have never heard of this before.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, that is B.S. Only things really dangerous about Lake Michigan are storms and Riptides.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Duluth, Mn.
Duluth is amazing. Although I imagine your boating season is about 2 months shorter than mine, and I am only 2 hours south of you. Especially if you are primarily on Superior? OMG the north shore is one of the best places on Earth.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Seiches form regularly in shallow lakes and bays around this area too. The wind pushes the water surface and shallow water levels around 10-20ft forces the kinetic energy to sum into larger waves than you would think from a small area. We've been out when the wind changes and goes from 1/4ft to 3ft waves in 10 minutes. The old boat with a shallow deadrise was a nightmare in those conditions as it would bounce and slap all the way back to the ramp even with the bow up. The new 212s slices through the waves and is a smooth ride back. We still get wet from the wind whipping the spray, but now it's a nice ride.
:D

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Definitely large. I took part in inspecting and ferrying 32 Cirrus aircraft out of Deluth years back. We would pick up the shoreline east of Deluth and what amazed me was the brown water run off miles down the east coast. We would run into all kinds of crazy weather en-route from southern Michigan over the top.