• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sell the Boat? Buy Waverunners?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Esteemed fellow Jet Boaters,

I think the time has come to sell my 2010 AR240. Since retiring from the Air Force last fall, we have used the boat one time. The balance of teenage daughters that swim competitively and an airline job that keeps my schedule in a constant state of change has led to a sad, lonely boat. I recently pulled my boat out of the slip I had and sold the lift. Now I am in dry storage while I contemplate the sale...

So I am thinking if I sell the boat and find a nice jet ski pair, I could still get my water fix. The benefit of jet ski pairs is that I can take one girl easily, or the whole family, for a short trip here and there. Could also go solo or take some buddies or meet up with boat friends. I found a nice pair for sale, has anyone ever heard of or used opportuneconsignmentpoint.com? The seller is using them for consignment. It seems legit, but I am interested in your feedback.

So I have been a stranger on here and the lake this summer but I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject... expect a for sale ad soon too.

Thanks!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My brother is/was contemplating buying 2 wave runners. He loves my SX230. He said several people (not all) with skis say it is one of those things - find a friend who has skis and treat him right. You don't want to own them as you will get bored real fast. I've heard this before. I have no experience either way, but I can see getting bored on a ski, real fast. I guess with the boat you have a bunch of folks with you having a good time, a ski not so much. Makes sense to me, but again, I have no experience in owning a ski.

I told my brother if he can pick up 2 used Yamahas or Kawasakis for under 8 grand, why not. (Do not buy another brand!) But new? Forget it.

I spoke with some of the guys that work at the Yamaha dealer in Berlin MD - Bayside Jet Drive - (expanding to a 2d dealership in Delaware as we speak) this past weekend about keeping an eye out for a couple of good used ones. The guys told me that in his experience, they can't keep them on the floor. Jet skis move, and move quick. But they have seen, so many times, that after one season of ownership, the customers bring them in and tell them to sell them for them instead of winterizing them, because although they were hyped up when they bought them, they found they never used them enough to justify keeping them. I have another buddy with a mansion on Destin Bay in Flrida. He has a boat and 3 skis, on lifts. He says he never uses the skis; that they only get used when his visitors come into town. I know a person nearby who owns a waverunner. Hasn't been out on it yet this season.

But I did see a used turbocharged waverunner at the dealer, 300 HP, that they were just trying to get rid of for 7k last week, book on it was 9k. It tempted my brother, but it would have had to be paired with a less powerful one. The sales guy said that's a big mistake, as everyone will want to ride the fast one, and nobody will want to ride the slow one. So if you buy 2, they best be identical!

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep. Definitely looking at used. Main reasons for skis are...
1 keeps me on water
2 can take out with my teen girls and they can drive, intro to independence on a motor vehicle, responsibility, etc
3 easy to work on and store

I do worry about the fun meter pegging out early and then they are boring. Either way the boat is most likely getting sold as large amounts of time is the commodity I lack.

I may wait a little longer and try to find a deal over the winter. Just have to decide if I sell
Boat now or wait until the spring.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep. Definitely looking at used. Main reasons for skis are...
1 keeps me on water
2 can take out with my teen girls and they can drive, intro to independence on a motor vehicle, responsibility, etc
3 easy to work on and store

I do worry about the fun meter pegging out early and then they are boring. Either way the boat is most likely getting sold as large amounts of time is the commodity I lack.

I may wait a little longer and try to find a deal over the winter. Just have to decide if I sell
Boat now or wait until the spring.
Funny you mention that. Our son and daughter grew up riding dirt bikes. It was the single most important factor in their early driving experience. They're 26 and 29, not a SINGLE ticket or accident. And it's not because they're timid driver's or don't like fast cars .My son bought his own '04 GTO M6 when he was 17. My work buddies said I was insane to let him have a car like that at 17. I knew his years on dirt bikes taught him everything he'd need to be safe in a car. And he was.

I can't comment on the watercraft side of it, but if you think your girls would be interested in experiencing a motor vehicle BEFORE they get out on the road in a car, I'd say absolutely do it .

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice to hear from you again @jawsf16 . Sorry I can't be any help with your question but does your dad still have his boat? That might be the best of all worlds.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great to hear all is well with you and sucks you gotta sell the boat. I just went through that myself.

PWC’s are great if your waterways have minumal no wake zones. Long no wake zones are pretty hot and shity on a ski, especially with a rider on your rear. That’s my only turnoff to them other than trying to dock them in slips made for boats.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am making the switch from jet skis ro a boat. Jet skis are fun if you have people to ride with, and/or a boat. Otherwise, not a ton of fun to own and better to rent.

Maybe get a smaller boat like an exciter?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It depends on your water, IMHO. I live on a small lake, 360 shore miles or so. If I only had my skis here, and only used them here, I'd be bored to tears.

But I don't. I keep my pontoon in the water, and when you pair 2 borings together, it's somehow ridiculously good. If I travel anywhere with watercraft, which is often, I take the skis each and every time. If I had to choose one or the other forever, the skis would win no contest. But mine are big. "Couches". They're cruising skis, and they're dam good at it. If I had a pair of Sparks, I'd probably view it differently.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have done a lot on boats and skis over the last 5 years and in your situation @jawsf16 yes I would go with skis easy to store and tow nice with older kids. Last year I had two boats and two jet skis and I sold the skis due to a a new child. I'm actually picking up a new ski in the morning as we missed it. I imagine in about 5 years I will own 3 skis and the boat will get minimal use and we will spend most of our time running up and down the waterway on skis again.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy big comfy Yamahas with lots of storage. You cant go wrong

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Having started with jet skis over 25 years ago, moving up to Seadoos and finally waverunners along with being on my 4th jet boat I recommend that you keep the boat and buy the skis as well, if you want to save a little money wait until the season is over to buy the skis, a well taken care of pair of 06 or newer fx ho waverunners and a trailer should only set you back $8k to $10k. You may get s lot of use out of the skis the first season but it’s nice to have the boat to fall back on for more social and long term / camping outings. Sooner or later you will build up pro and seniority so you can use it, And I i think you will regret not having the boat when that happens. Think of the boat as as an estranged wife, before you divorce her ask yourself it it’s cheaper to keep her? In the interim consider renting the boat out while you are not using it.

We alternate between the boat and skis depending on my mood, how far we are towing, how many people are going , how long it’s been since I’ve been boating, etc.
Skis are just easier all the way around (that is, trailering, launching, piloting and recovering) but without a bimini top or a stereo (forget about a grill or a porta potty) darting around at 50 mph+ and sometimes burning fuel like crazy, gets old.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I started with a ski.. . Half the tine I went to the lake alone while everyone else was at work or school and I loved it.. No one around nice an calm.. Just me. Then when the family went u were always leaving someone on the bank. So we sold the ski and got a boat. Now we use the boat exclusively. If my schedule changes again where I have a lot of time off during the week I will buy another ski so I can go have fun by my self and then have the boat for the family.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jawsf16 - I was in a similar place a year ago. I ended up selling the boat. It was a very tough, emotional decision for me. I lost not one but two hobbies: boating with my family and upgrading / tinkering with my boat solo. I really miss it.

But... We were not using it much. Storage, insurance, tow vehicle, additional fuel for tow vehicle as daily driver, depreciation on the boat, etc. were costing a ton. And the boat was getting older. So selling it was the right move for us.

First of my three starts college next week, so it will likely be a few years before we get back into boating. When we do, we will be at a different place in life and will likely not want a bowrider sportboat. Most likely we will get a pocket cruiser for my wife and I to explore the Great Lakes... a completely different type of boating.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Try to balance out your head and your heart on this one.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We all go through life cycles with out hobbies and moving to PWC’s is no real issue. A few will tell you which brand etc etc to go for but in my opinion if the particular skis your going for are reliable, in good condition and the right price, go for it.
We all have the same love of being on the water here on this site, and it’s good that your not giving up that.
Go for it, it won’t kill you and you can always buy another boat, just keep us updated with pics and info :winkingthumbsup".

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I miss my ski almost every day that I sold in 2016. Given the choice—the boat or the ski, I would choose the ski every, single, time. The boat is lots of fun with the family but there is just something about that small craft (I’ve had both “couches” and old SeaDoo 2Up hulls) that just cannot be replicated on the boat.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Curious, are any of you guys dirtbike riders? I've been drooling over the GP1800's for awhile, it's the only watercraft I'd consider. I just keep thinking even though it's probably comparably fast to my '18 YZ450 or my built YZ250, I'd soon be bored and looking for a hill climb or 100' triple to jump! If only there were hill climbs and huge jumps on the water. For me, the thrill of controlling a high strung motocross bike in tacky conditions will always be my biggest addiction.

The GP1800 idea is tempting for me, but the price is pretty high too. If it was something I could buy all in for $8k or so I'd probably get one. They're about twice that once you're all set up though.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice to hear from you again @jawsf16 . Sorry I can't be any help with your question but does your dad still have his boat? That might be the best of all worlds.
That would be, but he sold to @JetPowered a few years back. He missed the boat but at their age, it was too much for my folks to handle especially on a trailer.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the feedback y'all. I think that I will search for a good pair of used jet skis and see what shakes out. I like the idea of being easy to trailer and going to other lakes like we used to. The boat is definitely going up for sale (even though it pains me), as I don't see us getting any use out of it for several years. Maybe when the girls are all grown up we will get back into the boat scene, but it would be in something with shade, AC, and lots of creature comforts like @GTBRMC mentioned.

I am looking at 2015 era Yamaha skis, HO motors preferably. Something comfortable to cruise on and that can be tossed around just a little bit (not like the Spark or EX size but still fun.)